Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - July 16 to 31, 2017 - Until You (Jilted at Altar)

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya, Lady in love (new)

Priya (PriyaChennareddy) | 1100 comments Mod
Discussion thread for July 16 to 31, 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions)

Happy reading:)

Until You
Until You (Westmoreland, #3) by Judith McNaught

Sheridan Bromleigh had spent most of her early life as a happy vagabond with her unruly American father and his vagrant friends. Then, given over to the care of a strict maiden aunt, she was taught to be a lady - poor but genteel - and finally a teacher. When she was hired to act as chaperone to a pretty but spoilt heiress travelling to England to join an aristocratic fiance, Sheridan was delighted. Now, at last, she could visit her family's country. But somehow everything went wrong.

For Miss Charise Lancaster, not over-gifted with intelligence, eloped with a stranger before she could meet her suitor. And Sheridan was left with the horrid task of telling Lord Burleton she had somehow misplaced his bride. As she gazed at the tall, confident man before her, her courage failed. She was doubly shocked when she heard his news. Lord Burleton, a drunkard and a wastrel, had been killed the night before. At which point fate took over. Sheridan was knocked unconscious on the quayside, and recovered to find herself in the handsome stranger's care, not knowing who she was.

It was to be the beginning of a dazzling, witty, dramatic, and romantic sequence of events in which every possible confusion was to take place.

message 2: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this one?

message 3: by Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder (last edited Jul 14, 2017 08:30PM) (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder  (CatsosPerson) | 1500 comments Mariana wrote: "I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this one?"

Book 2, Whitney, My Love is a bodice ripper. The one dude and a couple of other ladies from the bodice ripper group have either read this or shelved it.

this is NOT a mild bodice ripper like the two I reccoed earlier in the year.

I'm sure I own Until You and books 2-3 in hard copy. Sigh.

Update: I looked over in the bodice ripper group and they say the author changed later editions of Whitney, My Love to take out controversial bits. I think the people I mentioned above who read it/shelved it will probably find/have found a first edition.

I think later editions are just old HR, no bodice ripping wtfery.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) | 1801 comments Mod
Is this one a BR?

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder  (CatsosPerson) | 1500 comments Joanna wrote: "Is this one a BR?"

I think it might not be, but look over 1-star reviews to be sure. If it is, those individuals will mention aversion to in-pc elements.

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this one?"

Book 2, Whitney, My Love is a bodice rippe..."

Hmmm...not sure if I want to try reading these or not. At the moment, I am thinking no.

message 7: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Is this one a BR?"

I think it might not be, but look over 1-star reviews to be sure. If it is, those individuals will me..."

Okay, I just checked; and there are not many 1-star ratings. Good sign?

message 8: by Missy (last edited Jul 14, 2017 10:17PM) (new)

Missy | 276 comments Mariana wrote: "I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this on..."

You do not need to read Book 1 since the characters are the Westmoreland ancestors, set in the late 1400s. There's a side male character, Nicki du Vall, and the main couple (Clayton and Whitney) from Book 2 that reappears in Book 3 as side characters. This book is about Clayton's younger brother Stephen, who was also present in Book 2. I vaguely recall Nicki being one of my favorite characters from Book 2 but I could be wrong. I don't think you really need to read Book 2 before this one though.

I didn't really like Whitney, My Love, but I have been planning on a reread to see if maybe I'll change my mind about the book.

message 10: by Missy (new)

Missy | 276 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Missy, Which edition of Whitney, My Love did you read?"

Honestly, I do not know. The cover was this one, Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught. Based on the details, this edition was published in 2006, so I must have read the newer edition.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 240 comments Mariana wrote: "I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this one?"

You don't have to read the previous books. If I remember correctly, the heroes in Whitmey My Love and Until You are brothers, but the stories are not connected and there are only cameo appearances by other characters.

Until You is my favorite Judith McNaught. I didn't like Whitney, My Love. Neither hero nor heroine are particularly likable.

message 12: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments Lauren wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I have not read any books by this author. Anyone know if I should try to read the two books in the series before this one?"

You don't have to read the previous books. If I remember..."

Thanks. I will definitely skip book 2.

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Through Chapter 8

I have started reading this. I am enjoying thus far. This is my first McNaught, and I like her writing style. Who gets jilted? Is it the dead baron or one of the MCs?

message 14: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments I read book 1 (not really related to this one as set in middle ages) and surprisingly enjoyed it. That was my first book by McNaught.

I started this one on my flight to Costa Rica last Saturday and felt no desire to read another word until the flight back. After reading four hours on the way back today, I can say I am not enjoying it more. Westmoreland is a sexist jerk!

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Where are you in it?

I am over half way through. There's some behavior by the hero I don't like, but I like her writing style. This is my first by this author.

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I finished this yesterday, and I didn't enjoy the second half much at all. I think that, after both these BOTMs, I will avoid this trope in future, for the most part. I just don't find much enjoyment with it.

message 17: by Missy (new)

Missy | 276 comments I read this book back in December and couldn't find the time to reread it for this BOTM. Well, I only managed to reread up to chapter 20. Anyways...(view spoiler)

message 18: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments Joanna wrote: "I finished this yesterday, and I didn't enjoy the second half much at all. I think that, after both these BOTMs, I will avoid this trope in future, for the most part. I just don't find much enjoyme..."

I agree.

message 19: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 1073 comments Missy wrote: "I read this book back in December and couldn't find the time to reread it for this BOTM. Well, I only managed to reread up to chapter 20. Anyways...[spoilers removed]"

Really? I am surprised. I rooted for the heroine and could not relate to his point of view. Why does he have the right to call her a b**** and a s*** when that actually describes himself?

... at least that was my point of view. I actually can enjoy books with a hero that is a jerk and has a past, but it certainly takes the right turn of character and writing style. This one could just not redeem Westmoreland for me.

message 20: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Mariana wrote: "Missy wrote: "I read this book back in December and couldn't find the time to reread it for this BOTM. Well, I only managed to reread up to chapter 20. Anyways...[spoilers removed]"

Really? I am s..."

I agree. There was no redemption on the part of the hero, and that was needed for my enjoyment.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 240 comments Joanna wrote: "I agree. There was no redemption on the part of the hero, and that was needed for my enjoyment. "

Interesting. I really enjoyed his groveling at the end ...

It has been quite a while since I last read this one and my perceptions of heroes has changed, so he might not stand up to the test of time if I read it again.