Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > If you are in an interracial relationship or have been, tell us how you met your partner/significant other/spouse

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Anyone who feels like sharing, tell us about how you met the person you are/were with in the IRR.

message 2: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments My ex-husband is white. I met him when we were both in the Army way back in the early 90's. (I know I'm aging myself)

I remember parking my car and while walking to the barracks this white dude with a 40 ounce (I kid you not) strolled up to me calm as you please and asked me out. I thought he lost his mind, but he was very persistent. Since he was cute, I agreed to meet him.

He had the nerve to bring one of his best friends along just in case he needed an excuse to leave if we didn't hit it off.

Our young and dumb behinds were married 9 months later. Now 18 years later that included a divorce and a son, we're more like irritable friends. It's funny what hormones can make you do.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Loni wrote: "My ex-husband is white. I met him when we were both in the Army way back in the early 90's. (I know I'm aging myself)

I remember parking my car and while walking to the barracks this white dude..."

That's a funny meetup story, Loni. Irritable friends. LOL.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Eugenia wrote: "I met my ex-husband on a blind date. A friend of mine introduced us, because she worked with my ex-husband's friend. "

--Are you still friends with the friend that introduced you guys, Eugenia?

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I was thinking that would be awkward.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It's really sad when friends grow apart. I don't form attachments easily, so I tend to leave a piece of myself with every good friendship that ends.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I don't make good friends that easy, so it's usually tough for me when the friendship falls apart.

message 8: by Daneesha (new)

Daneesha I met the guy I'm dating on Match.com. It's funny because when we met in person, I didn't feel that immediate spark. Our first date was a dinner date and I got mad at him for drinking out of my straw LOL! Inside I was steaming like, "I can't believe he just did that!" Granted, I had a delicious drink...but still!!!
Despite that, we talked more on the phone and went out on more dates. The more time I spent with him, the more I liked him. He's really a good, quality guy and I feel like I've made a good choice. Plus, he has this adorable shock of red hair that I just love!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love red hair too Daneesha. I'm glad you made a good match.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's a sweet story, Maya. High school sweethearts. Cool!

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That is so you to say something like that. :)

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

We love you for it, Maya.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "the hubster and i actually met on valentines day during my senior year of high school. we had a few mutual friends so we had seen each other a handful of times at parties before but never spoke. So..."

That is sweet :)
I like that.."touch his stick" lol ha ha ha

What is your age diff?(if it's not too personal)

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6568 comments Mod
dreamwild1985 wrote: "sorta. he's older than me and we never went to the same highschool (everytime i remind him of this he gets all freaked out "maya, you make me sound like a pedifile" and then my smart ass mouth says..."

If you don't mind me asking Maya, how long have the two of you been married?

message 15: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "Sharon wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "the hubster and i actually met on valentines day during my senior year of high school. we had a few mutual friends so we had seen each other a handful of times ..."

LOL...that line his probably his attempt to have you behaving naughty while he's driving. ;)

message 16: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments (raising hand in blushing shame)
My ex and I are guilty of a few hijinks as well. Ahh...those were the days.

message 17: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Eugenia wrote: "Some of my hijinks are included in my stories, but you'll have to guess which ones, LOL. "

Now why do I have Rick James "Superfreak" running thru my mind?

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments

Maya 3 years is nothing lol you made it sound like he was 43 years older lol

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "LOL!!! now it's stuck in my head too!

and eugenia, i'm gonna be searching your stories now for all of your "hijinks"...and i have to admit, i included one of my own in the story i sent u, lol"

Now I'm wondering which one....(Gears turning in head).

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I can see where you're coming from. If I was a parent, I'd be a little uncomfortable with a grown man dating my teenager. So I'd really have to like and respect the guy to feel alright with that age difference, although not huge.

message 21: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Some grown woman had better not come sniffing around my teenage son...there would problems and consequences.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

I would show a cougar what really happens in the jungle, if she would try to come at my teenager show.

The crib admirer would see just how much I know about woodwork, if he would try to come near my daughter.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I agree with y'all. I'd put a hurting on a woman who was trying to put a make on any young son I had. I know people tend to guard their daughters' virtues, but I'd do the same for any sons I had.

message 24: by Arch , Mod (new)

A daughter and a son needs to walk in virtue shoes.

I don't believe in that, "He's a boy." Not all boys think alike.

message 25: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments My problem is my son is already 6'6" and quite a good-looking kid at 16 yrs old and ladies notice him. He thinks he can pass for 18 with his little peach fuzz on his upper lip. Luckily he's still rather shy with girls....I think.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Loni wrote: "My problem is my son is already 6'6" and quite a good-looking kid at 16 yrs old and ladies notice him. He thinks he can pass for 18 with his little peach fuzz on his upper lip. Luckily he's still r..."

Wow. He's really tall. Is your ex tall too?

message 27: by Davina (last edited Aug 09, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments I have two sons. One is of age and together with a young woman I'm not too fond of, but there's little I can do about that.

My younger son just turned 18 this year and he's about 6'4, quite strapping and very good looking (I'm not just saying that because he's my kid). Many times when we walk on the street people think he's my boy toy (ridiculous!) and I even see women giving me that knowing grin, as if to say: You go, girl! Sigh...

I've seen other well grown women (I mean ones who're old enough to his mother) hitting on him too, and I always take the opportunity to give them an ear full. Their advances really piss me off, for two reasons:

1) Sure, he's 18 and thinks he's man, but really he is still a CHILD! Find someone closer to your own age to live out your mid-life crisis with!

2) The double standard cougars enjoy. It's okay for teachers and other such females to rape their underage students and get off with just a slap on the wrist, but a man who does the same things get his arse landed in jail and his name likely to be on a sex offenders list for life.

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I don't agree with that double standard either, Davina. It's no more cute and acceptable for an older woman to seduce a vulnerable teenage boy than it is the other way around. Teenagers are still children to me. They need protection so that they can have their childhood and go into adulthood without any extra pain and suffering that getting into adult situations before they are ready might bring them.

I tought several very young women (must of them were very intelligent) who had pretty much ruined their lives more or less getting caught up with loser boyfriends and having babies they could barely support. Some of them might succeed and go on to have incredible lives where all their goals are met, but most of them won't. They wanted me to give them crutches and I wouldn't. I wanted them to succeed and hoped for that. It was very sad to see a lot of them fall by the wayside and drop out. They used to call me Dr. Hitler and at first it hurt my feelings. My sister opened my mind. She said, "that's a compliment." I guess she was right, although no one wants to be compared to that awful man.

message 29: by Arch , Mod (new)

I didn't know that Mary and her husband's children have mental problems.

He's too young for her. He's like her oldest child's age.

I'm in my 30's and I have an age limit. I wouldn't be with a man very much older than me or very munch younger than me.

message 30: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments I had a real problem with that Mary Kay lady when that story came out. I also think the double standard is very unfair. It doesn't help that the mindset of society is that a young girl is a slut for being with an older man, but a young boy gets a pat on the back for "bagging" the older woman.

I've warned my son not to make me a grandma for a couple more decades. I'm much too young for grandkids. :)

To answer your question Danielle....my ex is only 6'1", but I'm 5'11 1/2". We both have tall genes in the family, but I feel like a dwarf next to my kid.

message 31: by Arch , Mod (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "yikes! all this age talk is making me feel too young to hang, lol"

How old are you Maya? I mean, you don't have to give your age, you can only say, I'm in my ? if you want.

message 32: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 09, 2009 08:27PM) (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "i'm cool giving a #, arch (but thanks for the out, lol). i'm 24. how old did u think i was?"

I'm sorry for handing an out. My bad! LOL

To be honest Maya, it didn't dawn on me, until I after I have read your reply.

I hope I don't appear too old for you. I am young to me. I will forever be young to myself.

I'm am sure your age isn't a problem with anyone here.

You are cool with me!

message 33: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 09, 2009 08:26PM) (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "lol, thanks arch! you don't appear too old at all. :-) i've always been "mature for my age" (i was a super serious kid, lol) and i just click really well w/ppl older than me. but i was starting to feel a little unwelcome here b/c of my age. everyone else seems older than me and sort of set in their idea of what a younger person is like, that's all."

I have always clicked with older people than me.

I'm sorry that you have felt not welcomed Maya and I apologize if I was one of the people that have made you feel that way. If I have, I have done so blindly.

I talk to people younger than me.

When it comes down to age, I just feel that people need to be mature - old and young. A certain age doesn't make a person mature. This world has a lot of 18 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.

Everyone is green in an area and they can have more than one area.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know what I am like. I'm forever young.

Growing up I was mature for my age. I'm still mature for my age.

When I am on a group. I like for people to feel comfortable around me. I like to laugh and have fun with people to say that I am very shy. A lot of people would disagree.

I'm a mature, big kid. I watch cartoons and even kid shows.

message 34: by Arch , Mod (new)

Cartoons rock! That's why Parris watches cartoons.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Loni wrote: "I had a real problem with that Mary Kay lady when that story came out. I also think the double standard is very unfair. It doesn't help that the mindset of society is that a young girl is a slut fo..."

Genes are very unpredictable when it comes to height.

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "Arch wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "i'm cool giving a #, arch (but thanks for the out, lol). i'm 24. how old did u think i was?"

I hope I don't make you feel unwelcome, Maya. That wasn't my intention. I'm pretty immature for my age. :)

message 37: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Simone (papercuts) | 28 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "yikes! all this age talk is making me feel too young to hang, lol"

Me too lol. I'm 22, btw. ;)

message 38: by Giselle (last edited Aug 10, 2009 07:14AM) (new)

Giselle Simone (papercuts) | 28 comments Danielle wrote: "Loni wrote: "I had a real problem with that Mary Kay lady when that story came out. I also think the double standard is very unfair. It doesn't help that the mindset of society is that a young girl..."

That's true. My sister and I are both 5'2. One of my younger brothers is 4'11 and he's 10 years old. His doctor has projected his height to be somewhere close to or a bit over 6'0, if he continues to grow at the same rate. Right now, he's wearing a size 7.5 shoe in mens.

We still don't know where his height came from because EVERYONE in my family is short.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "Arch wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "i'm cool giving a #, arch (but thanks for the out, lol). i'm 24. how old did u think i was?"

I hope I don't make you feel unwelcome, Maya..."

When I talk about my students being children, it wasn't about chronological age. They were acting like kids. I had some students in their early twenties and younger who were very mature. Age is just a number.

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Giselle wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Loni wrote: "I had a real problem with that Mary Kay lady when that story came out. I also think the double standard is very unfair. It doesn't help that the mindset of society is ..."

I took genetics in college and it was very enlightening. I learned that height is on different genes, thus is polygenetic. They don't get distributed the same more straightforward way as eye color, and hair color, so that there literally is no telling how tall your kids will be compared to the parents, and siblings versus siblings. Also environment and diet play a large role as well. I am actually about two inches taller than my sister and she's almost two years older than me.

message 41: by LaVerne (new)

LaVerne (lavernethompson) | 77 comments I met my husband the first week of law school. I thought he was weird the first time I met him. It was the way he was dressed. Anyway the next day he came to school sporting a completely different look. I had to look at him again and couldn't stop looking. LOL. We had dinner together and argued the entire time. We've been together for almost 23 years and married for 19.

message 42: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Giselle wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "yikes! all this age talk is making me feel too young to hang, lol"

Ah...22...those where the days. I just turned 40 on Aug 1st and I still feel the same. The way everyone kept hyping it up I expected to grow a humpback and liver spots at midnight. My only consolation is that some people at my job say that I don't look anywhere near 40. Of course they could be lying...but I'll take it.

message 43: by Arch , Mod (new)

Giselle, what you are 22 years old? Wow! That's young - by 11 years to my 33. :)

It's all good like a chicken bone.

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Loni wrote: "Giselle wrote: "dreamwild1985 wrote: "yikes! all this age talk is making me feel too young to hang, lol"

Ah...22...those where the days. I just turned 40 on Aug ..."

the only reason I'm not looking forward to 40 is my biological clock. Otherwise 40's not a big deal.

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's a really cute meeting story, LaVerne. Thanks for sharing.

message 46: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Giselle, you're the same age as my first born. Seems like I'm the oldest kid on the block.