Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

The Statement of Stella Maberly
This topic is about The Statement of Stella Maberly
2017 Forgotten Books Selections > 7/17 The Statement of Stella Maberly (General - Use Spoiler Tags)

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jun 27, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments We start our discussion of The Statement of Stella Maberly by F. Anstey here on July 6. If you haven't yet obtained your copy, this is your friendly nudge. It's available from Valencourt and on Kindle.

Are you planning to join the discussion?

Mindy Jones (Mindyrecycles) | 16 comments I have it from my library and will start it as soon as I finish Beloved. :-)

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Sorry, it doesn't interest me.

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 30 comments It sounds interesting, and I was able to get it from the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/statement...

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Christopher wrote: "It sounds interesting, and I was able to get it from the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/statement..."

That's most excellent, Christopher. Thanks for sharing the link.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments For some introductory materials, Valancourt Books, the publisher provides the following background at its site:

When originally published in 1896, The Statement of Stella Maberly was subtitled 'Written by Herself' and presented as the real-life confession of a possibly mad woman, but the identity of the book's true author, F. Anstey (1856-1934), famous for his oft-filmed bodyswap novel Vice Versa (1882), was soon revealed. This first-ever scholarly edition of Anstey's lost classic features a new introduction and notes by Peter Merchant, plus the first-ever appearance of unpublished manuscripts pertaining to the novel, including a 1916 screenplay for a never-produced film version, An Evil Spirit.

A GR friend of mine, Nancy Oakes, publishes this fascinating review and analysis. There are spoilers so if you are spoiler-averse, you should wait until after you've read the novel.

http://www.oddlyweirdfiction.com/2017...

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) I clicked on the review and didn't read much due to the fact I don't want the spoilers, but it sounds like an intriguing book. I look forward to reading it.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 46 comments Wow an 1800s book about demonic possession! And under 200 pages to boot. Sounds intriguing - count me in!

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Dianne wrote: "Wow an 1800s book about demonic possession! And under 200 pages to boot. Sounds intriguing - count me in!"

I saw it as a two-fer as well :)

carissa | 70 comments I went to numerous used bookstores in the city and no one had heard of it and every person I talked to wants to read it now! I ordered a POD from work, which kills my conservative nature, but the subject matter is too up-my-alley not to read it with everyone.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments carissa wrote: "I went to numerous used bookstores in the city and no one had heard of it and every person I talked to wants to read it now! I ordered a POD from work, which kills my conservative nature, but the s..."

Yay! I feel your pain on the POD :)

message 12: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments Librivox has a bunch of his books on audiobook but unfortunately not this one. I'll have to get in from one of the other sites suggested.

Luella | 120 comments Mod
Found an article from when it was published. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/18...

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Luella wrote: "Found an article from when it was published. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/18..."

Wow! How cool is that? Thanks for finding and sharing this, Luella.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments A quick reminder - our read and discussion starts Thursday, although of course everyone is welcome to join and participate at any time, as whimsy and finishing other reads permits.

message 16: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments Ok, got it downloaded. Hopefully start this weekend.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments ConnieD wrote: "Ok, got it downloaded. Hopefully start this weekend."

Excellent. I'm on a flight tomorrow and hoping to start then.

Mines on its way through Inter Library Loan I found out this author also wrote Vice Versa: A Lesson to Fathers which is basically the premise of Freaky Friday. So now I wanna read that one too.

message 19: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments I want to read vice versa too. So many books to read. sigh.

So I just got the book from the library the edition they sent me is ancient 1896 how neat.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Luella wrote: "So I just got the book from the library the edition they sent me is ancient 1896 how neat.

"

That is lovely, indeed!

message 22: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments About a third of the way into it. I was beginning to think I misunderstood what this book was about, but here it comes!

message 23: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments I hope that's not considered a spoiler.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments ConnieD wrote: "I hope that's not considered a spoiler."

Absolutely it is not a spoiler! I'm having fun with this but need to bite off a big chunk today and tomorrow in order to feel like my opinion has a firm foundation.

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) Luella wrote: "So I just got the book from the library the edition they sent me is ancient 1896 how neat.

"

Very cool. The image didn't come up on my phone, so I didn't realize there was one.

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

It happens to all of us sometimes. We look forward to your participation when you can.

message 28: by Carol (last edited Jul 13, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments MIchael Dirda wrote a fab review published at the end of June in the Washington Post. It covers not only Stella but Anstey's other works.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...

Did you know for example that my fave TV show of all time, I Dream of Jeannie, (haters be gone), is based in part on Anstey's The Brass Bottle, first published in 1900? "in which a well-meaning “Jinnee”— an elderly fellow named Fakrash — causes all sorts of mischief and havoc in the life of hapless architect Horace Ventimore."

message 29: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn Podojil Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

Since I'm reading the ebook I log into my Amazon account at the office and read a few pages when I have down time or breaks. Every little bit helps! I have 4 book clubs and for some reason the other three have chosen books over 500 pages this month, except for this one! Everyone seems to think it's summer and we have more time to read.

message 30: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 30 comments Dawn wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

Since I'm reading the ebook I log into my Amazon account at the off..."

Very generally speaking... I do like short reads, but it is the thick ones that people need a little impetus like a group read to get 'cracking.'

On Stella Maberly I am at 8 percent.

I guess if the author was known for farcical fare like Vice Versa, he left his name off this horror story so that no one would pick it up expecting something lighthearted?

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) Dawn wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

Since I'm reading the ebook I log into my Amazon account at the off..."

Alright, you got me. I started, just barely, but as you say, every little bit helps. Reading the PDF is not bad.

Part of my problem is that I put several books on hold at my library that were part of group reads. There were enough holds in front of me that I didn't think it would be a problem. They all came available at about the same time. I think my library will get more copies of a book if there are enough holds, and that is what happened. Due to the popularity, though, I doubt I will be able to renew when the time comes.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Christopher wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

Since I'm reading the ebook I log into my Amazon accou..."

I believe he released it without his name in order to further the illusion that it was actually a true statement and not fiction. If you remember when Blair Witch was released in the states, for the first couple of weeks there was buzz about it perhaps really being found footage. Masterful marketing plan, that.

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 744 comments Joanna wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I probably won't be able start on this for a week and a half. I have over-stretched my reading during this time!"

Since I'm reading the ebook I log into my Amazon accou..."

There are moments when three holds come in for me and I'm more than a bit overwhelmed, in a good way, but still. This one is fast :)

message 34: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn Podojil Saturday I dropped off 2 books and picked up 4 more from the reserve shelf. They do seem to come in waves, even when I space out the requests. So, this afternoon I will log into my library account to see which ones I can renew. If a book has a hold on it I put it first in my to read pile. Then I will prioritized my books by due date. Another plan I have (if they are all due at the same time without holds) is to read any short book first. I can usually have them done in a day or two and it does 2 things: makes the to read pile shorter, and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) That's the way I am approaching it. I have knocked two off, so progress is being made!

Joanna wrote: "That's the way I am approaching it. I have knocked two off, so progress is being made!"

Ditto I currently have 13 books out which is cuckoo. This one is going back tomorrow so I have to figure out what to read next by due date and possibility the renewals will not be possible.