Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] 2nd Mini-Poll Results

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 2364 comments Mod
The results are in!

Winners:
- A book with a location in the title
- A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
- A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title.

Bottom:
- A literary western or western
- A book that teaches you a skill of any kind
- A book based on the flip of a coin ('heads'= a book from your favorite genre;'tails'= a book from a genre you read infrequently or is new to you)
- A book written before 1800

Polarizing:
- An "own voices" book

The date for the next round of suggestions will be announced shortly.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 899 comments I'm happy with these results. Two of these I voted for and almost voted for the third. I voted for "own voices" but I'm not surprised it was polarizing.

message 3: by Nicole (last edited Jun 27, 2017 06:19AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Well, one of my top four got picked - a book that takes place in, on, or under water. I don't mind the other two. I almost voted for a book with a location in the title, but picked a book with a fruit or vegetable in the title instead. As for the book with the letters A, T, & Y in the title, I'm fine with that, but it just seemed too easy. Just skimming through my Kindle when I was contemplating the choices, I had over a dozen books that had all three letters, and I didn't even get halfway through my books before I stopped counting. It seems more like a free choice to me.
I did vote for the "own voices" book, and I'm sorry that didn't make it in, as well as a Canada Reads book. I think those would have both pushed people to read things they might not have otherwise, and maybe even find a new author to enjoy.

I also voted the coin flip book and the book before 1800 in the bottom four, so I was happy that those didn't make it. I just feel like the coin flip book is too broad and I have a hard time finding books before 1800 (heck, even before 1950) that I care for. I guess that would have been a good challenge for me, but I would have dreaded it. The other two were not in my top or bottom four, so it didn't really matter to me either way.

I am mostly pleased with the way the list is shaping up so far. Can't wait until the next round of suggestions! :)

message 4: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 822 comments Well, none of the winners were in my top picks but they weren't in my bottom picks either so I don't mind those. 'A book that takes place on, in, or underwater' was nearly one of my top picks so I'm actually glad that one made it in. The 'A,T, and Y in the title' topic I did consider voting for but felt it was quite similar to the 'doesn't contain the letter E' topic from this year, even though it's the other way round (looking for a book that does contain the letter/s instead of one that doesn't) but I don't mind the topic. I agree that I think it'll be a fairly easy one to fill. 'A book with a location in the title' was one of the ones I was less enthusiastic about only because most of the book titles I know that have locations in the titles tend to be for romance or contemporary (usually YA) books that I have no interest in. I'm sure I'll be able to find something that does interest me, though, so it'll be fine. As I say, it wasn't in my bottom picks either so it's not too bad.

Two of the bottom picks were in my bottom picks so I'm glad they didn't make it in (the book that teaches you a skill and the 'flip of a coin' topic). The other two I wouldn't have minded as much, though, although neither of them were in my top choices.

message 5: by Jillian (last edited Jun 27, 2017 07:42AM) (new)

Jillian | 418 comments In the discussion of favorite prompts of 2017, a book without a letter "E" has been one of the most popular prompts so I'm happy to see that a book with "A, T & Y" made it into next years list. I cannot remember if I voted for the water one or not.

I voted against the "own voices" prompt because I dislike having to read a book from a list (it is like being given a school list of books and even though the books are great having to read one makes me dislike them). So, I will definitely look at reading some of the books but because I want to and not because I have to (not sure if I make any sense).

message 6: by Perri (new)

Perri | 379 comments None of the bottom four were ones I was enthusiastic about. I voted for the ATY and Ok with the other two. I can't think there are many underwater books I'd be interested in, but I've read many boat stories and could probably find another. Dont' see the difference between in water and under water?

message 7: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 958 comments One of my top is at the bottom and one of my bottom is at the top :D

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Jillian wrote: "...I voted against the 'own voices' prompt because I dislike having to read a book from a list..."

I think there was a list of books for the "own voices" prompt, but I didn't feel like we had to read from that specific list. From what I understood, it was more of a prompt to choose a book written by someone who has lived that point of view. So, basically instead of choosing a book written by a white woman (or man) about the hardships of being a black woman in the south in the 1960s, try to read a book about the hardships of being a black woman in the south in the 1960s written by a black woman who lived in the south in the 1960s. Instead of reading a book by a straight, married woman in her 40s about being a teenage boy who is ostracized from his family, church, & community for coming out as gay, try to find a boy by a young man who actually went through that process in his life. It seemed like a very open-ended prompt to me, with maybe just a little more research than usual to make sure you find a book written from the perspective of someone who was actually there versus someone who was trying to put themselves in another person's shoes.

Some that I feel fit that prompt that are already on my TBR list are Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs, Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah, The Boy Who Carried Bricks: A True Story by Alton Carter, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, and plenty of others. Alton Carter is a friend of a friend, so I was probably going to read that book for this prompt if it won. I already have the book at home, so I'll just go ahead and read it since I don't have to wait to use it for the prompt next year. :)

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 81 comments Oh! I'm actually really happy with the results, two of my top votes got in & although I didn't vote for "A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title" I'm excited for that one too. :D

message 10: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 418 comments Nicole- I just relooked up "Own Voices" I think I got it confused with something else and realized I have read 3 books this month that would have fit the prompt.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Jillian wrote: "Nicole- I just relooked up "Own Voices" I think I got it confused with something else and realized I have read 3 books this month that would have fit the prompt."

Oh, that makes sense. I know there was one option that was to choose a book by a Noble prize author, and also the Canada Reads nominee prompt. Both of those would have been lists of books and/or authors that you had to choose from, so that does narrow it down. I think I could have easily found an option in the Canada Reads list, but the Nobel prize author would have been more difficult for me.

message 12: by Katie, Heliocentric Mod (new)

Katie | 1638 comments Mod
Nicole, The Hate U Give is one of my favorite books I've read so far this year. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to reading it!!

message 13: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 2364 comments Mod
I tend to be happy with the results because my memory is so bad that I never remember what I voted for. I wasn't too thrilled with the location prompt since it feels slightly repetitive with the South America prompt but that's okay.

I do remember voting for The Color Purple prompt but I'm not really surprised that it didn't make it through.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 1710 comments I'm happy with the results, although I'm a little apprehensive about the book set on/in/underwater. I've always had a bit of a mental block when it comes to books that are set on a boat for some reason. For some reason, as soon as the setting becomes onboard a boat, I lost interest. I'll definitely need some help with that one.

I voted for a location in the title and the letters "ATY" in the title (I'm assuming it was intentionally the letters from acronym for our challenge that were chosen?). I agree that the ATY prompt can be pretty easy, but it seems like a fun scavenger-hunt type challenge. A location in the title also isn't as intimidating as you think if you broaden the definition of location. For example, Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah seems like it would apply (I haven't read it yet, so I don't know for sure).

I'm surprised own voices was so polarizing! I was the one who suggested it, and I definitely did not intend it to be a "pick from a specific list" kind of prompt at all. There were other prompts suggested that felt more constrained to a list to me (ie. Canada Reads, which I'm glad didn't make it since only 1 or 2 books interested me at all).

I'm surprised the coin flip prompt wasn't more popular because thought people would absolutely love it. I personally didn't vote for it either way. I'm also glad a western didn't make it. I've seen this kind of prompt suggested every year so far, but it never makes the final list. It would definitely seem to push a lot of us outside our comfort zones, but for me, it would literally be a case of reading a book just to cross the prompt off my list. I've browsed quite a few synopses, and none of them interested me at all.

Jen from Quebec :0) (MuppetBaby99) | 74 comments Living in Canada, and having worked in a bookstore for 2 years, I cannot stress enough just HOW GREAT the 'Canada Reads' choices are each and every year- hopefully this becomes a topic in the near future. I have discovered so many great authors and books with 'Canada Reads' every year since it started! Check it out on your own, people- it is worth it, for sure. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 16: by Jill (last edited Jun 27, 2017 05:30PM) (new)

Jill (Dogbotsmum) | 328 comments I'm happy with the results. Two of my top picks got in and 3 of the bottom ones I'm happy didn't get in, although I didn't put them in my bottom picks. I put own voices one in my bottom 4 as I didn't want to read what every book was about to find out if it was one. I thought the flip of a coin was too open , like this years "what shall I read next" or the random book

message 17: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 418 comments I think some of the selections not picked would be interesting to have them on a later poll. With not very many prompts so far it makes it harder voting. For example down the road, if there are a lot of broad topics I would be more likely to vote for something I found more limiting and challenging and vice versa. For me personally in the 2017 challenge, I'm down to some of the less appealing prompts so that maybe influencing me to vote for easier tasks.

message 18: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amylynn63074) | 1965 comments I am happy with the top three. I voted for two of them and the third, (Location in the title) will be a fun scavenger hunt.

The bottom four don't surprise me at all. I do have a western/dystopian YA book that I was looking forward to but honestly, I think I will read that in the next month or two, then I don't know what I would have read for that prompt.

message 19: by Sophie, Moon Mod (new)

Sophie (Nemone) | 2851 comments Mod
What is your western/dystopian book Amy? I always vote for the western prompt even though the only western book I have in my TBR is The Sisters Brothers and I'm planning on reading it for this year's reject challenge ;)

I'm happy with the winners, even though by quickly scanning my TBR I found more than 10 books for each of them.

I hope the "own voices" prompt gets resubmitted, because it seems a few people didn't really understand what it was about.
Jill, for this Goodreads is your friend as a quick search in the lists gave lots of them to pick from.

message 20: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3484 comments For the moment, I'm not doing well with my picks, only 2 of my tops are in the final list and I'm middly interested in the other winners. I'm happy the waterish prompt won, it'll be interesting to search books and I've some pirate novels on my TBR. I'm not a fan of the location in the title, with the genres I read, I'll have few choices from my TBR.

message 21: by Bec (new)

Bec | 462 comments I think 3 of the bottom 4 were in my bottom 4 and the other one was in my top 4. I had no idea about the water one and just realised I'm reading the Ship of magic series by Robin Hobb (well I've read the first and have the second planned for this year), I can leave the 3rd for next year (books over 900 pages so likely I won't get to it until next year anyway).

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (MissLemon) | 175 comments Personally I like prompts that are specific and quite narrow, otherwise I end up 'cheating'! To me the flip a coin one would have meant 'readers choice'. I didn't vote for the western because it's not a genre that I usually have any interest in so it would have harder to find something but in some ways I prefer prompts like that.
I'm disappointed that my 'Color Purple' suggestion didn't get through but I'm not that surprised ( and I didn't have anything in mind to read for it by the way, I just thought it was an interesting idea, broad but narrow!)
Perhaps I will try a similar idea with Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, The Green Mile or The Woman in White!

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (Dogbotsmum) | 328 comments Sophie wrote: "What is your western/dystopian book Amy? I always vote for the western prompt even though the only western book I have in my TBR is The Sisters Brothers and I'm planning on reading i..."

Thanks Sophie. Seems there are a couple there that I have on my list, so if it comes up again I won't dismiss it, depending on what else is put forward

message 24: by Charity (new)

Charity | 476 comments None of my top made it in the top but they weren't in the bottom either. I make lists of possible books for each suggestion. Ones for which I've found books that excite me I vote in the top and ones I have no books for land in the bottom. I found some good choices for the ATY one so I'm ok there. For the location and water ones I've found some books for but none that really excited me so hopefully I can get inspiration from others.

I'm surprised the own voices prompt was polarizing. I put it in my top because I thought it would add some diversity to the challenge. I don't really see it as a list but of course I'm slowly working on several book lists so that wouldn't bother me anyway.

Three of the bottom were in my bottom four. Westerns have been suggested in the past and I've never found anything that interested me so it always goes in my bottom 4. The book that teaches a skill isn't something I have a desire to read either. The book before 1800 one sounded good in theory until I started researching. I found only one book I own that would fit and I still had no desire to read it yet. The flip a coin one wasn't horrible I just found it more of a free read thing so I didn't vote for it either way.

message 25: by Sophie (last edited Jun 28, 2017 05:59AM) (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 56 comments Sophie wrote: "What is your western/dystopian book Amy? I always vote for the western prompt even though the only western book I have in my TBR is The Sisters Brothers and I'm planning on reading i..."

Sophie, I suggested the western prompt. The reason I did was that I've been looking for a reason to read Lonesome Dove ( it's a big one). There also books by Cormac McCarthy ( no country for old men, the road) that intrigue me. Although I can't say that I read westerns, one of my favourite books is Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx. Definitely not the traditional western but it is about cowboys. Its very short too.

message 26: by Nicole (last edited Jun 28, 2017 05:53AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm happy with the results, although I'm a little apprehensive about the book set on/in/underwater. I've always had a bit of a mental block when it comes to books that are set on a boat for some re..."

There are tons of books that would fit this prompt that aren't set on a boat, so you should be able to steer clear of boat books and still be able to fill this prompt, I would think. The one that immediately came to my mind when I read this prompt was Sphere by Michael Crichton. You can also search genres and listopia for specific things like "scuba" or "mermaids" or things like that, which would (I assume) be mostly set in the water and not on a boat.

Also, regarding the book with a location in the name, I think that can be as broad or as narrow as we want it to be. I mean, there are the obvious ones with an actual name in the title, such as The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George or New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson or Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks or The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant. However, I think it could also be stretched to fit non-specific locations such as "home," "road," "castle," etc. I would think books such as The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, In the Woods by Tana French, or Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder could all be considered books with a location in the title. Just my opinion, but I think most people make the challenge what they want it to be, so that leaves it open to interpretation.

I love the "own voices" prompt, and have quite a few on my TBR list that would fit that category, so whether it comes up again or not (I hope it does), I will definitely be reading some of those in the next year.

As for the western, I am not a western fan, either, but I have True Grit by Charles Portis on my TBR, and I would really like to have a prompt for it to fit.

message 27: by Katie, Heliocentric Mod (new)

I was thinking that same thing about location, Nicole. It will definitely be fun to see if people choose locations like cities or country, or more general (non-proper name) locations.

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Katie wrote: "I was thinking that same thing about location, Nicole. It will definitely be fun to see if people choose locations like cities or country, or more general (non-proper name) locations."

I think so, too! I already have a huge list of titles from my Kindle & my TBR list, including both proper & non-proper name locations, so I guess we'll see which way I lean when I get there.

Back to a comment you made earlier, I am looking forward to reading The Hate U Give. It is currently on my list for the 2017 Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge for prompt #11 on the advanced list, a book about a difficult topic. Of course, all of those "own voices" books could fall under that category, so we'll see if I get to it this year or hold it for a prompt next year. It sounds like it will be a fantastic book!

message 29: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amylynn63074) | 1965 comments Sophie wrote: "What is your western/dystopian book Amy? I always vote for the western prompt even though the only western book I have in my TBR is The Sisters Brothers and I'm planning on reading i..."

I got an ARC copy of Gunslinger Girl. I am kind of tired of YA but when I saw this one, I had to read it! I am hoping that it's as good as it sounds!

message 30: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 958 comments Sophie wrote: "What is your western/dystopian book Amy? I always vote for the western prompt even though the only western book I have in my TBR is The Sisters Brothers and I'm planning on reading i..."

That was actually the same that I had considered to read if Western had won. I am a slow reader, so no chances to reading it in the reject challenge .... So I guess I need to fit it in another category, because this is the third year that Western has been suggested and rejected :(

message 31: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 1241 comments I didn't vote for any of the winners, but the outcome is fine, with the exception of the A, T, Y theme. I'm kind of bored by the letters in the title idea, since we did the "E" in the title this year. Two in the bottom were ones I voted for. Oh well. By this time I know most of my picks seem to be unpopular.

Just please -- not too heavy on the fantasy-type genres in the new year!

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Schultz | 358 comments Agreed Stacey!!! That's my only complaint about last this years prompts way too much magic and fantasy... I don't mind prompts like letters in title or things that you can choose your own genre to fit the prompt.

message 33: by Bec (new)

Bec | 462 comments Just checked my list and I voted for the book with an A,T,Y - see how quickly I forget!

message 34: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amylynn63074) | 1965 comments Kelly wrote: "Agreed Stacey!!! That's my only complaint about last this years prompts way too much magic and fantasy... I don't mind prompts like letters in title or things that you can choose your own genre to ..."

I am dying to know where all these fantasy/magic prompts were. I have almost completed the challenge and have read none of those. Do you mean challenges in general or ATY specifically?

message 35: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amylynn63074) | 1965 comments Amy wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Agreed Stacey!!! That's my only complaint about last this years prompts way too much magic and fantasy... I don't mind prompts like letters in title or things that you can choose your..."

Ok, I take that back, I see ONE topic for magical realism, which I have completed. Other than that, there are no fantasy challenges. Interesting.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill (Dogbotsmum) | 328 comments Aren't the Hugo awards science fiction and fantasy?

message 37: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 418 comments I don't think there are a lot of fantasy prompts myself these are the only ones that I can see as being somewhat there but I also think they could all but one could work with other genres:

12. A book based on a myth, 36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (really the only one that is strong fantasy/sci-fi) 46. A time travel novel & 52. A book set in a fictional location

I would not count the magical realism as fantasy. Magical realism is set in reality with some twist. There are several Latin American authors who write in this genre.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Schultz | 358 comments There was... book about a myth... book of magical realism... book about time travel .... Hugo award winner... book with a fictional location. It just a lot of genre specific books if you don't like that genre but know lots of people in this group do so guess that why they got picked.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 1710 comments Of those prompts mentioned above, the only one I would say is fantasy is magical realism, and even then it's like Jillian said. It's not 100% fantasy. A fictional location also doesn't have to be fantasy at all, technically. There are several books that are set in fictional towns in the real world.

I saw Hugo awards as mostly sci-fi, but I could be wrong. Time travel also seems more sci-fi to me, and a book about a myth could also be historical fiction. I think it's all down to interpretation.

message 40: by Katie, Heliocentric Mod (new)

I would say that for those who prefer realistic fiction or non-fiction, science fiction and fantasy fall into the same general category of "books with an element of the imaginary/supernatural". Even though they're different genres, I definitely group then together in my head.

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Schultz | 358 comments Agreed it's totally about interpretation I am definitely one that likes realistic fiction, historical fiction and non fiction... definitely lump the rest together sure there are lots of sub genres.... so many books for so many different tastes! ;)

message 42: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 822 comments When are the next round of suggestions opening?

message 43: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 958 comments Francesca wrote: "When are the next round of suggestions opening?"

Today at 1 pm EST.. The topic is already created.

message 44: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 822 comments Silvia wrote: "Francesca wrote: "When are the next round of suggestions opening?"

Today at 1 pm EST.. The topic is already created."

Oh, awesome! I was trying to wait patiently but clearly I failed.

message 45: by Ira (new)

Ira | 100 comments Personally I don't consider the book set in a fictional location fantasy. It could be a contemporary set in a made up town that don't really exist

message 46: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (MissLemon) | 175 comments A lot of books of the YA best seller list were/are fantasy type of books/alternate reality type books as well.
It is down to interpretation but for those not keen on fantasy it's a bit harder the find something to fill all the prompts.

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 228 comments Francesca wrote: "Silvia wrote: "Francesca wrote: "When are the next round of suggestions opening?"

Oh, awesome! I was trying to wait patiently but clearly I failed."

Same here! I forgot that there was a couple-day waiting period between the first round of votes & the second round of suggestions, so I was lurking around for hours after the 2nd round results were released. Then, I remembered & I've been trying to wait patiently, too, but I kept coming back to check the Projects topic to see if a new thread had been started yet. I'm so ready! :)

message 48: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 822 comments Nicole wrote: "Francesca wrote: "Silvia wrote: "Francesca wrote: "When are the next round of suggestions opening?"

Oh, awesome! I was trying to wait patiently ..."

At least I'm not the only impatient one! I've been hovering round since the results went up to see if the next round of suggestions opened.

message 49: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 1241 comments Regarding my comment on fantasy-esque genres, it might have been my book selections for the various weeks that seemed heavily tilted towards fantasy or sci-fi. For some reason it seemed like more than weeks 12, 36, 46 and 52, as Jillian stated. And for week 2, a book with at least two perspectives, I chose A Game of Thrones, which, again, fits the fantasy bill - that's totally mea culpa. Egads.

Whatever the week/theme, I'll try to do better in my picks this year :))

message 50: by Marie (new)

Marie | 331 comments I didn't feel like there was anything that was specifically fantasy, with no other options, like we had last year with the top 100 Fantasy Novel. I'm a fantasy fan, so I'm always looking for ways to bring that type of book in, but I think I would've had wiggle room on all the prompts if I'd wanted to avoid fantasy.

My picks for time travel and magical realism novels are real world with a twist, and my Hugo one seems more fantastical than fantasy. My myth-based one was fantasy, but purely out of laziness - The Lightning Thief was an easy pick and I had it. As for the fictional location I happily used it for fantasy, but could just as easily have put a book from pretty much any fictional genre in there.

Personally, I'd rather avoid genre-specific prompts, where it just says "Read historical fiction" or "Read a western". I like to be able to interpret them in my own way to include books I want to read, not books I feel like I have to read to fill the prompt, so I'd prefer to have them varied slightly to something like "A book set in a time period that interest you" or "A book about outlaws".

« previous 1