Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Q&A: Push Play! Getting Your Book on Audible

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments I'm happy to announce that I'll be hosting our next group Q&A: getting your book on Audible! So line up your questions and comments and we'll start the discussion tomorrow through Sunday. Looking forward to it? I know I am :O

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
I love audible. It's a great way to increase sales.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Carole wrote: "I love audible. It's a great way to increase sales."

You are so right and I never would have thought so before I did it! So glad your experience will help us all learn more about this, as always!

message 4: by Carole (new)

You are so sweet Erin!!!

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Carole wrote: "You are so sweet Erin!!!"

Dude...the company I keep ;)

message 6: by Carole (new)

hahahah

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Ah audible. I do audible. And I'll always remember one book where mid paragraph the person reading said "I'm sorry I made a mistake there, I'll just start the chapter again." The surprised look on my face was something to behold. #WhatNotToDo

message 8: by Carole (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:10AM) (new)

They are supposed to edit those!!

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Amy wrote: "Ah audible. I do audible. And I'll always remember one book where mid paragraph the person reading said "I'm sorry I made a mistake there, I'll just start the chapter again." The surprised look on ..."

Holy record scratch, Batman!

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments lol. I had to listen again to see if I'd missed some reason for it, like something in the story, but no, it was just a massive lack of editing! I was surprised to say the least.

And follow that up with if you are reading out email messages (like in Fifty Shades) for the love of absolutely everything, do it quicker, no-one needs an entire message header read out to them, and yet...

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Amy wrote: "lol. I had to listen again to see if I'd missed some reason for it, like something in the story, but no, it was just a massive lack of editing! I was surprised to say the least.

And follow that up..."

This is hilarious!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Those are the worst. I've had an audible subscription since Audible first existed. I'm way behind, but I've listen to loads of books. I did have to finish Fifty Shades on double speed though. The voice artist was um, quite slow. (Sorry voice artist, but you were. Ohhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-Amy deploys the Baseball Bat of Frustration at a random inanimate object...)

message 13: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 208 comments That's so funny! Thanks for the morning chuckle, Amy :)

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I'd love to have my books available as audiobooks but it's too expensive.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I haven't even looked at that. It crossed my mind because I use audible and because I read my books out loud as I'm editing. With that in mind despite my (not vast) stage experience, half an hour in I'm losing my voice. (I've had books read by the author-maybe that cuts the cost.)

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I'd be interested in having audio versions of my books, if only for another potential revenue stream, but the thought of dealing with a narrator (I could never do it myself) gives me the terrors.

message 17: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments I'm going to totally lurk and absorb info on this. Thanks Erin!

message 18: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 318 comments we have some of our children's books on audible :) chose the voice artist through Fiverr and worked with a friend that manages all of the uploading etc... :)

message 19: by Carole (new)

I'd like to do that- but is there a market, Ben??

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments This is just one of the many tasks I wish I had an assistant I could farm out to. The idea of dealing with it all is daunting, but I do like hearing how everyone is fairing, it's very encouraging to know that it is more than possible for indie authors like myself, I just hope there's enough of a market to make up for the effort.

message 21: by Carole (new)

See if you can ask a college kid to give you a hand. They get some experience and you get some relief.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "See if you can ask a college kid to give you a hand. They get some experience and you get some relief."

That's where I stumble into another of my issues, approaching the local college. I need to phone the mental health service that assessed me next week to see if they've come up with anything to help me with my anxiety. Maybe when that's been dealt with I'll be able to do things like find a college kid to help me, or sort out audible.

message 23: by Carole (new)

Good idea.

Tara Woods Turner | 3 comments Denise wrote: "I'd love to have my books available as audiobooks but it's too expensive."

It can be pricey to hire top and almost top notch talent but remember:
- ACX lets you do a profit split with the narrator to reduce or eliminate upfront costs
- you can hire freelance goice talent on your own and for great rates
- many ACX narrators are new and will cut you an amazing deal because they desperately want to build their ortfolios.

Don't give up if having your titles on Audible is your dream!

message 25: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 53 comments Thought about it. Even seriously looked into it but got distracted while I was thinking about and now might be the time to relook.

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments L.E. wrote: "Thought about it. Even seriously looked into it but got distracted while I was thinking about and now might be the time to relook."

ACX really makes the process easy once you get started.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Alex wrote: "I'd be interested in having audio versions of my books, if only for another potential revenue stream, but the thought of dealing with a narrator (I could never do it myself) gives me the terrors."

If you don't mind sharing more of your reservations I'd love to address them individually.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Sooooo....someone should TOtally be a case study and blog here in the group about their Audible experience week by week. Right?!
I may or may not be staring at Alex but anyone can volunteer...*whistles*

message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Erin wrote: "If you don't mind sharing more of your reservations I'd love to address them individually. "

My biggest reservation is I suffer from anxiety and stress and dealing with new things, and especially new people, makes me very uncomfortable. I'm sure the process is simple enough, but when it comes to unfamiliar things I develop mental blocks that are hard to overcome.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Alex wrote: "Erin wrote: "If you don't mind sharing more of your reservations I'd love to address them individually. "

My biggest reservation is I suffer from anxiety and stress and dealing with new things, an..."

My middle sister is the exact same way. I think you deserve a personal round of applause for being a published author. Millions of individuals feel they have a book somewhere in them but will never get around to doing what you've done!! If you really would like to publish on Audible I'd lime to volunteer for a one-on-one coaching partnership with you. We can take our time and untangle the process one component at a time until your launch day. If this doesn't feel comfortable or the timing is not quite right I understand. Otherwise I'm behind you 100%.

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Thank you, it's very kind of you, Erin, I may take you up on it at some point in the future. Right now I'm still trying to get my head around marketing and social media, total nightmare for me.
The writing aspect of this business is dead easy for me, so many ideas, my biggest problem there is having enough time to get the ideas down. Marketing and promotion is where I have a problem, I improve every day, though, with the help of groups like this and wonderful people like you.

message 32: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Tara Woods Turner wrote: "Denise wrote: "I'd love to have my books available as audiobooks but it's too expensive."

It can be pricey to hire top and almost top notch talent but remember:
- ACX lets you do a profit split wi..."

Thanks, Tara. That was so sweet of you to let me know and throw in a little support. Nice to see you again. :)

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker My experience has been pretty varied. I have tried the profit share, and I've had 3 different narrators for the 4 books I have on audio. I like the lady whose done my last 2 now. I'm curious how to hire Sebastian York and how pricey he is if I did! But the guy who narrated my 2nd novella told me a few weeks ago that he has a female narrator he can do dual production with. That seems to be the growing trend at the moment. His name is Timothy McKean if anyone wants to search for him on ACX.

message 34: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
How was the profit share option? I'm looking into that and I'd love to have dual narration for mine possibly

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker It's a good deal for the author because you can get it done with no start up fee, not a great deal for the narrator, because audio books are the least selling format of any type of books so far, by a lot. Then you split the royalties, which in total is 40% so you each get 20%. Let's say someone adds audible to their ebook purchase on Amazon for an extra $1.99. you'll get a whopping $0.40 from that sale, where you'd have gotten $0.80 if you weren't sharing the royalties.

I've paid per finished hour on my last 2 book since I was at a better place financially than I was when I did my first 2. I think you should do what makes sense for you. $0.40 is still more than the nothing you would have made had you not had the audio format available!

@Erin, what is your take on this?

message 36: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
Good points. Had no idea the royalty was so small. Food for thought for sure. Thanks for the info!

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Alex wrote: "Thank you, it's very kind of you, Erin, I may take you up on it at some point in the future. Right now I'm still trying to get my head around marketing and social media, total nightmare for me.
The..."

Whenever you're ready I'm more than ready to help you one-on-one, step by step. Inbox me anytime or email me here: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Erin wrote: "Alex wrote: "Thank you, it's very kind of you, Erin, I may take you up on it at some point in the future. Right now I'm still trying to get my head around marketing and social media, total nightmar..."

That is very much appreciated

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments Do we ask the questions here or?

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Justin wrote: "Do we ask the questions here or?"

Yes, here is fine, J.

message 41: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 208 comments I'm having trouble with interpreting the ACX dashboard. Is there somewhere they tell you how much royalties you get per sale, or even how much your audiobook is listed for? I can't find this information.

message 42: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments Is Audible or ACX free? Someone said in another thread that it was free.

Are audio books really hot right now and is it worth getting in on?

What's a good price to set your a audio books at?

Do certain genres fair better than others with audio books?

message 43: by Carole (new)

My son does very well with his audio books. He priced them high. Not sure how much- Amazon runs sale prices on them but pays us the big royalty.

message 44: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Justin wrote: "Is Audible or ACX free? Someone said in another thread that it was free.

Do ..."

ACX is not free but there are no upfront costs. Sort of. The platform is free but you have to pay your producer, of course. ACX will take their cut off the top and pay you your royalties afterwards. If you do a profit share you will earn 20% of sales and your producer will earn the same.

message 45: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Justin wrote: "Is Audible or ACX free? Someone said in another thread that it was free.

Do ..."

Audiobooks are smokin' hot right now thanks to Audible. The rumor is that movie and television producers are doing secret drive-bys on Audible to see if a book has production "legs". Can't vouch for this but audio listenership is definitely up.

message 46: by Erin (new)

Do ..."

Justin wrote: "Is Audible or ACX free? Someone said in another thread that it was free.

Do ..."

The decision to produce an audiobook is a personal one. I would say that just like with paperback or digital publishing you have to know your reasons, know your budget and know your audience. Having said that, once you've paid for your production you can sit back and relax. There is not much you can do by way of promotions, at this point, although that may change someday. Just enjoy the organic sales and know you've increased your level of professionalism and your fanbase!

message 47: by Erin (new)

Do ..."

You should price according to your genre and the recorded length of your title.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments Wow Erin thank you for answering all my questions! I know I sorta fired a lot out there.

message 49: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 312 comments I really wish ACX was available to me. :( I'll get back to you with questions when they let Aussies in on the action. :p

message 50: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Nicole wrote: "It's a good deal for the author because you can get it done with no start up fee, not a great deal for the narrator, because audio books are the least selling format of any type of books so far, by..."

Completely agree. Half of a little is better than all of nothing lol. It does, however, let you get your foot in the door with quality production. Wait and see how the book fares and decide whether or not your next title should be yours alone. I paid out of pocket for my production because I got lucky and found someone with great talent but nit a lot of gigs under her belt.

« previous 1

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread