Bookish Kingdom discussion

Other Discussions > A little suggestion

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 32 comments Hello mods,
I think we can have a Folder dedicated for book recommendations. We can have one main thread there for general book recommendations and also users can create threads in that folder if they want recommendations for a very specific genres or combination of genres of books. I have seen it in few other groups and it makes it very convenient to find the recommendations for the particular genres as there might already be threads/posts for that particular genre. And if not a whole Folder than we can at least have a thread for it in some other folder.

message 2: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) Nice suggestion :D Lets see what the other mods think.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 16 comments Ohh....I like it! <----Not a mod, but think it's a great idea! LOL! ; )

message 4: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (goodreadscomayla) | 655 comments Mod
Such a cool idea! I think a lot of people would be interested in that as well :)

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Yes, of course! I personally think it should just be a thread instead of a whole folder, since if we use one thread per request for a recommendation, it may only have say 4 posts then never be used again

message 6: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 32 comments So, what is the final verdict?

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica I have an idea for the recommendations thing, let's see what others think about it.

So we could have a folder for recommendations. In it, we could sort recommendations by genre, such as "Fantasy Recs" or "Sci-fi recs," where people could just suggest books that they've read in that genre and others can check out what books others have enjoyed in that genre. Then, we could have a "recommendations request" thread, where people can request specific recommendations, such as "can someone recommend me a book with a antihero protagonist?" etc

If anyone has other ideas, I'd love to hear them, and if anyone doesn't like my idea, please do suggest things to make it better :)

message 8: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 768 comments Mod
^ I like this idea

message 9: by Ayla (new)

That's such a good idea! We could also choose a mod per 'genre recommendations thread' to maintain an alphabetical list at the beginning of the thread. That way everything stays nice and ordered and people can easily look for a book in their fav. genre they haven't read yet :)

message 10: by Erica (last edited Jun 12, 2017 05:49PM) (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "That's such a good idea! We could also choose a mod per 'genre recommendations thread' to maintain an alphabetical list at the beginning of the thread. That way everything stays nice and ordered an..."

Yes, I really like this as well. Not sure how we'll assign mods, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it (it'll have to be someone who's very active, though). Probably will just be whoever volunteers.

Should we also sort the books in each genre thread by the age group? (YA, adult, middle grade) It just makes it easier in case someone is specifically looking for a YA science fiction book and so that we won't have so many threads. Obviously, when someone recommends a book, they will have to specify which age group it goes in, just in case the mod of that thread hasn't read the book yet.

message 11: by Ayla (new)

Yes! We can create a little format. For example:

[bookcover]
[booklink]
Age group: (middle age/YA/adult)
Genre: (in case the thread is a fantasy/sci-fi thread, one can choose between the genres fantasy and sci-fi here)
Your review link: (optional? This is so people can get some more detailed thoughts on the book.)

message 12: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 32 comments Erica wrote: "I have an idea for the recommendations thing, let's see what others think about it.

So we could have a folder for recommendations. In it, we could sort recommendations by genre, such as "Fantasy R..."

I think this idea is wonderful. We can do it. It will also avoid lots of thread by other peoples who wants specific recommendations since only one thread will be there for such. And by having genre specific threads, it will be more convenient to browse through already posted recommendations.

message 13: by Erica (last edited Jun 13, 2017 04:55AM) (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "Yes! We can create a little format. For example:

[bookcover]
[booklink]
Age group: (middle age/YA/adult)
Genre: (in case the thread is a fantasy/sci-fi thread, one can choose between the genres fa..."

This would be good. I think that we should keep fantasy and sci fi separate though, but we could put subgenres in the genre space (dystopia, paranormal, etc).

These are the genres that I think we should have:

- Fantasy (things like paranormal, urban fantasy, and historical fantasy fall in this)
- Science fiction (things like post apocalyptic, time travel, and space fall in this)
- Contemporary (I think this one is pretty self explanatory)
- Historical fiction (WWII stories, etc.)
- Classics (Umm anything that is a classic i suppose)

I don't know if we should have a romance thread, since it normally romance is a subplot and I don't really know how we could have a true romance book, unless it's contemporary or erotica, one of which we already have a thread for and I don't think anyone here reads erotica often.

We also could have a mystery thread, but sometimes mystery is a subplot (for example, in Harry Potter), and I don't know how that would work then if a book is fantasy as its main genre and mystery as its subgenre.

message 14: by Ayla (new)

Yes! And romance belongs to the contemporary genre most of the time (I guess). And perhaps we could add the genres Thriller and/or Horror as well?

message 15: by Ayla (new)

And mystery sounds more like a subgenre to me as well. Most of the time combined with the genre 'thriller'. We could list all the (or the most popular) subgenres at the beginning of each thread, so people know where to post their recs. Otherwise we could always move a rec that's placed in the wrong thread to another thread, once the 'thread leader' notices this.

message 16: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 32 comments Erica wrote:
- Fantasy (things like paranormal, urban fantasy, and historical fantasy fall in this)
- Science fiction (things like post apocalyptic, time travel, and space fall in this)
- Contemporary (I think this one is pretty self explanatory)
- Historical fiction (WWII stories, etc.)
- Classics (Umm anything that is a classic i suppose)"

We can also have a thread for thriller/horror/mystery books. We can place all the books with major theme as thriller, suspense, mystery or horror into it.

message 17: by Ayla (new)

Sounds good to me!
Which genres would you like to be the 'thread leader' of, Erica and Minx - The genre minx? I don't know if the other mods would like to maintain a thread as well, since they haven't commented yet.

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica Yeah, I was thinking we could have a thriller/horror/mystery thread.

Ayla wrote: "Sounds good to me!
Which genres would you like to be the 'thread leader' of, Erica and Minx - The genre minx? I don't know if the other mods would like to maintain a thread as well, since they have..."

I'm fine with any of them, and I'm literally always on Goodreads so I can moderate a large thread such as fantasy or sci fi.

Another thing, should we sort subgenres? Or just list them and maybe put the subgenre in parenthesis next to it.

message 19: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne | 192 comments Mod
I would love to do historical fiction. But I will be going on holiday soon and there I won't have wifi very often. So I won't be online a lot. I do think this is a great idea!

message 20: by Ayla (last edited Jun 13, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Erica wrote: "Yeah, I was thinking we could have a thriller/horror/mystery thread.

Ayla wrote: "Sounds good to me!
Which genres would you like to be the 'thread leader' of, Erica and Minx - The genre minx? I do..."

Okay! I'm very active as well, so I could moderate the thriller/horror/mystery genre and contemporary perhaps. I don't read that many historical fiction and classics. Maybe another moderator who would like to maintain those threads?

Yes, I had something like this in mind, if you're okay with it :) :

(Post at the beginning of the thread, lists of recommendations)
"Subgenre 1":
[book cover]_[book cover]_[book cover]
(all in alphabetical order, excluding articles like 'the', 'a', 'an' etc.)
"Subgenre 2":
[book cover]_ etc.

So it looks something like this:
"Fantasy recommendations thread"

Fairy tale (retellings):
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer _ A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas _ Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne
High fantasy:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas _ The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien _ Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Romantic fantasy:
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie _ Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater _ The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin _ Teardrop (Teardrop, #1) by Lauren Kate

So a book can belong to multiple subgenres, like "A Court of Thorns and Roses".

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica I think that works, only I find the underlines a bit annoying so maybe instead we could just use the titles and do something like this:

Retellings:
Cinder (YA)
A Court of Thorns and Roses (YA/NA)
Noah Barleywater Runs Away (I haven't read this book)

High Fantasy:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (YA/NA)
The Hobbit (Childrens)
Shadow and Bone (YA)

Romance:
Matched (YA - Also I think this is actually science fiction since it's dystopia)
Shiver (HRI)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Assuming its YA)
Teardrop (etc)

message 22: by Ayla (new)

Cordelianne wrote: "I would love to do historical fiction. But I will be going on holiday soon and there I won't have wifi very often. So I won't be online a lot. I do think this is a great idea!"

Which week will you be on holiday? Cause if it's another week than when I'll be on holiday, we could exchange our threads. So if you'll be on holiday, I can do your thread(s) next to mine. And when I'll be on holiday you can do mine if you want to :)

message 23: by Erica (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:36PM) (new)

Erica I think these are the subgenres we could have:

Fantasy
Paranormal
High Fantasy
Urban fantasy
Romantic fantasy

Science Fiction
Dystopia/Post apocalyptic
Time travel
Space/Aliens

Contemporary
Romance
...Not romance
LGBTQ+

Historical Fiction
WWII
18th and 19th century
Medieval
Ancient times

Horror/Mystery/Thriller
Obviously horror, mystery, and thriller

Classics
Fantasy
Science fiction
Romance
Misc

I don't really know if we should have retellings as a subgenre because they could really fall under any of the genres.

Anything else you guys can think of?

message 24: by Erica (last edited Jun 13, 2017 09:55AM) (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "Cordelianne wrote: "I would love to do historical fiction. But I will be going on holiday soon and there I won't have wifi very often. So I won't be online a lot. I do think this is a great idea!"
..."

I'll also be on holiday for much of July, but I think I still have wifi.

Also, (not to shoot down your idea or anything) but I don't know if this will work since you can't edit other peoples' posts. I was just planning on letting the recommendations pile up while I'm away and do all of those at once.

message 25: by Ayla (new)

@Erica Maybe that's a better idea indeed, piling up the recs.
And you're right about the fairytale retellings! I hadn't thought of that before.
Maybe we could add the subgenre "LGBTQ+" to contemporary as well, because I know a lot of people (including me xD) are always looking for recs in this subgenre. I know there are lgbtq+ fantasy books as well, but these are (still) quite rare.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "@Erica Maybe that's a better idea indeed, piling up the recs.
And you're right about the fairytale retellings! I hadn't thought of that before.
Maybe we could add the subgenre "LGBTQ+" to contempo..."

Yeah, I think we should add LGBTQ to contemporary as well, and I also agree that there aren't many fantasy LGBT books.

Also since I'm an organization freak, are we going to do one post per subgenre (if this one, then you have to make sure that all of the posts are at the top.) Or are we going to do one post for all subgenres? I personally think we should do the first option, in case there are a lot of recommendations in one subgenre so that it doesn't max out the character limit. (I doubt that would happen but just in case.)

message 27: by Ayla (new)

Yes, that's okay! You can just create a thread, write the first post and immediately comment something random beneath your first post. The amount of 'random posts' depends on the amount of subgenres of course

message 28: by Ayla (new)

And for the thread leaders:
Sci-fi - Erica
Fantasy - Erica
Thriller etc. - Ayla
Contemporary - Ayla
Historical fiction - Cordelianne
Classics - Cordelianne (?)

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "And for the thread leaders:
Sci-fi - Erica
Fantasy - Erica
Thriller etc. - Ayla
Contemporary - Ayla
Classics - Cordelianne (?)"

All right, that's fine with me :)

I'll create the folder and my threads and the recs request thread. Glad we got this figured out!

message 30: by Ayla (new)

Cool! Yes, me too :D

message 31: by Erica (new)

Erica Ayla wrote: "Cool! Yes, me too :D"

Also, you're welcome to just copy and paste what I wrote on my threads :)

message 32: by Erica (new)

Erica Another thing, I think that we should only list the first book in a series so that it won't make things really confusing.

message 33: by Ayla (new)

Erica wrote: "Another thing, I think that we should only list the first book in a series so that it won't make things really confusing."

Yes, of course! :)

message 34: by Ayla (new)

Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "Cool! Yes, me too :D"

Also, you're welcome to just copy and paste what I wrote on my threads :)"

Okay! I'll do that

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica @Palash

Pretty much everything is created, thank you so much for bringing this up :)

message 36: by Cordelianne (new)

Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "And for the thread leaders:
Sci-fi - Erica
Fantasy - Erica
Thriller etc. - Ayla
Contemporary - Ayla

All right, that's fine..."

I don't really know a lot about classics, I only read three for school, but that is basically all my experience with them. I will be going on holiday from half of July till half of August.

message 37: by Ayla (new)

Cordelianne wrote: "Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "And for the thread leaders:
Sci-fi - Erica
Fantasy - Erica
Thriller etc. - Ayla
Contemporary - Ayla

All righ..."

No problem! You don't really need to have a lot of experience with them, the most important thing is to maintain the recommendations list. Would you like to be the thread leader for "classics" then? If not, I wouldn't mind maintaining a third thread.

message 38: by Ayla (last edited Jun 14, 2017 05:44AM) (new)

Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "@Erica Maybe that's a better idea indeed, piling up the recs.
Maybe we could add the subgenre "LGBTQ+..."

Can I add the subgenre/theme "mental illness" to contemporary as well? I've noticed there are quite a lot of contemporary books nowadays, about mental illness.

And where should we place the subgenre "Autobiography"? I was thinking contemporary, since it isn't really historical fiction

message 39: by Palash (last edited Jun 14, 2017 07:43AM) (new)

Palash (naikon) | 32 comments Ayla wrote: "Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "@Erica Maybe that's a better idea indeed, piling up the recs.
Maybe we could add the su..."

Autobiography usually go in non-fiction genre. So, maybe have a thread for all the nonfiction, self-help, biography books? Or is it too much ?

message 40: by Ayla (new)

Palash wrote: "Ayla wrote: "Erica wrote: "Ayla wrote: "@Erica Maybe that's a better idea indeed, piling up the recs.
Maybe we cou..."

Sounds good to me! I can create the thread, when the other mods are fine with it as well
Thanks for the tip!

message 41: by Erica (new)

Erica @Ayla and Palash

I didn't include non fiction since it's not a genre I normally reach for, but if you guys frequently read it, then feel free to add it :)

Also @Ayla, I think you can add it in, but I sort of just grouped it under non romance since I can only think of two or three mental illness books off the top of my head. Then again, I don't normally read contemporary either, and I'm pretty sure you read it more than I do, so if you know a lot then sure, feel free to add it :)

message 42: by Ayla (new)

Erica wrote: "@Ayla and Palash

I didn't include non fiction since it's not a genre I normally reach for, but if you guys frequently read it, then feel free to add it :)

Also @Ayla, I think you can add it in, b..."

Okay! :) And I'll create the non-fiction thread later today

message 43: by Cordelianne (new)

Erica wrote: "@Ayla and Palash

Also @Ayla, I think you can add it in, b..."

I think mental ilness would be be a good addition. For example, All the bright places, Finding Audrey, Optimists die first, We were liars, etc! Are all books that would fit that box!

message 44: by Cordelianne (new)

I will do classics as well than!

message 45: by Regsly (new)

Regsly | 948 comments Mod
I love you guys for thinking and doing this.
Kudos to Palash!

message 46: by Regsly (new)

Good day to you, our dearest mods.

I had been thinking about this for a while and I guess I'll just suggest it now that it came to me again with the most current poll.
I don't exactly know how popular poetry is amidst this group, but I feel like there could be a recommendation thread for it.
Tell me what you think :)

message 47: by Ayla (new)

@Regsly
Great idea!
I'm just starting to try some poetry, so recs would be awesome 😄
I'll be on my laptop this afternoon, so then I can open a thread 😊

message 48: by Regsly (new)

@Ayla
Thank you! You're always so awesome! (^.^)
You gotta tell us what you're up for in poetry. There are so many different choices, it can be really hard.

message 49: by Ayla (new)

Regsly wrote: "@Ayla
Thank you! You're always so awesome! (^.^)
You gotta tell us what you're up for in poetry. There are so many different choices, it can be really hard."

Ahww thanks! :D
I recently finished reading "Milk and Honey" and particularly the last part of the four spoke to me.
However, I'd love to read a collection of poems about nature or existential questions or something like that. Not sure if that is out there though!

I created the poetry recommendations thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...