Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What's a book or series that's not currently all the hype that you totally fangirl/boy/person about?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Superbambi (last edited Jun 03, 2017 06:20PM) (new)

Superbambi | 285 comments I feel like I'm no longer the target audience for YA (too much angst and teenage drama and romance, not enough sex or violence), so I haven't read all those trendy books all of you seem to love and fawn about.

I've read other books, though, and I've really loved them, but I feel like I'm kind of alone and can't fangirl about them with anyone else. Sound like a familiar situation?

Sticking to fiction, Noah, by Sebastian Fitzek. Not so much the characters, because I don't think they're what makes the book (except Oscar, Oscar ftw), but the story omigod.

Also The Lies of Locke Lamora. Locke is a really awesome character, the Sanza twins are also some of my faves in that book. And how about that insane world building? I acknowledge this is a popular series, but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

I just finished When the bough breaks, by Jonathan Kellerman, and I really like the way the story was written, with the psychologist influencing the investigation, and I really liked that there is a gay protagonist. Now that book was in 1985 and so issues are not dealt with in the same way they now would, but it's a very good starting point for a series that is still ongoing.

How about you guys?

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 100 comments The Demon trappers by Jana Oliver Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver I really love these books, but feel like noone else knows about them.

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead Georgia Kincaid series and Storm Born (Dark Swan #1) by Richelle Mead The Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead. I love these books, but I feel like everyone else just know about her Vampire books..

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Superbambi@ I think the lies of lock lamora has a big fandiom, you just have to look in the right places.(lin manuel miranda is helming the movie adaption,I think)

@Luise I loove the demon trapper series, so original and good.

I loove skulduggery pleasant and its getting a spinoff this year, the first book was realised on thursday. Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10) by Derek Landy its a bestselling series, but its not as well known as say pjo or harry potter.

Ditto, The Named (Guardians of Time, #1) by Marianne Curley is getting another book in the series this year. But its not that well known.

message 4: by Emilija (new)

Emilija (coffeechatter) | 3 comments Gotta agree with @Louise, Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver is one of my favourite series of all time and deserve so much more love.

message 5: by Tushar (new)

Tushar Patel | 13 comments Runes and The Guardian Legacy series by Ednah Walters and (The Black Jewels by Anne Bishop those my favorite books but not know well.

message 7: by wezikz (new)

wezikz (clockworkbookworm) | 8 comments All for the Game trilogy ❤️❤️❤️

message 8: by elena ⚢ (new)

elena ⚢ (elenavhaps) | 39 comments Oh, so many. Just from what I've read this year:

Still Life with Tornado by A.S. King is a big one. I know A.S. King is a relatively hyped YA author, but I think she's absolutely brilliant and have loved almost everything she's ever written, and this one is at the very top of that list. This book will likely stick with me for the rest of my life. It was so good!!!

This one is also pretty hyped, but not nearly enough in my opinion: Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire is FANTASTIC! I read it in one sitting (it's very short) and loved literally every second of it. I'm squealing about the sequel/spin-off coming out next Tuesday.

I'm not really fangirling about this one as much as I am super shocked that not everyone has read it and screamed about how freakin awesome it is. The book of which I speak is The Pants Project by Cat Clarke. It is adorable and so so heartwarming and bittersweet, I just love it so much.

Also, The Weight of Zero by Karen Fortunati is incredible. The way mental illness is portrayed in this book is 100% on point and it was so liberating to read about a disorder that wasn't glorified or made to look like the character was cool for having it. It was realistic, and I absolutely adored the characters and the story.

And last but not least, my most recent read: It's Not Like It's A Secret by Misa Sugiura. This book is everything I look for in a contemporary: gay, funny, realistic, diverse, well written, and beautiful characterized. It was so good. I literally cried for the last 100 pages, alternating between happiness and frustration and sadness. I'll probably be re-reading very soon...

Anyway, all these books are awesome and y'all should try em out.

message 9: by Wesley (new)

Wesley (delasquare) There's two series in particular that I love, love, love that have a relatively small fanbase even though I wanna talk for days about them.

The Others series by Anne Bishop. It's a fantasy series about a young woman who is a blood prophet who can see the future when her skin is cut, and was kept for profit. The world is like an alternate universe Earth where there are humans, and there are the Others - supernatural beings who predate humanity, like vampires and shapeshifters. There's a lot of anti-Others bigotry on the part of the humans, and the blood prophet, Meg, ends up in the care of the Others, despite otherwise being human. I love the story and the universe but mainly Meg is really relatable to me as an autistic person, and while I'm sure that was unintended, the way that Bishop goes about writing her strengths and weaknesses, the issues she has with sensory input, and her compassion, it just feels like the most empathetic representation of my autism that I've ever read in a published work. It means so much to me and I adore it.

The Incryptid series by Seanan McGuire. Also fantasy, although I would argue it's closer to science fiction, it's about a family of cryptozoologists who help to keep the peace and maintain the secrecy of the cryptids who live amongst us all in secret. It is so much fun and I love the characters, but for some reason her other series is much more popular and I just wish there were as many devoted readers to the Incryptid series as there are for her October Daye one.

If you guys like urban fantasy you cannot go wrong with either of these series!

message 10: by Freja (new)

Freja | 3 comments I love the vampire diaries, but it is always getting so much hate... Especially from people who haven't read it.

message 11: by Kier Scrivener (new)

Kier Scrivener (kierscrivener) Rightful: The Story of Thyrena Antuir so good!! and the Seven Realms series

message 12: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt | 15 comments FrejasReads wrote: "I love the vampire diaries, but it is always getting so much hate... Especially from people who haven't read it."

I loved reading Vampire diaries too. I just left it around the entries of Kitsune twins... But I really liked reading it.

message 13: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt | 15 comments I really love A & E Kirk's Demons at Deadnight Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1) by A.E. Kirk series.

message 14: by Fishface (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

Fishface Any book that gets a lot of hype normally winds up not impressing me at all. I had that experience with The Hobbit, Farmer's RIVERWORLD series (everything after the first installment, To Your Scattered Bodies Go, fell flat), and every teen vampire series you can name. And especially The Da Vinci Code. The only good thing I can say about that is that I would not have fully appreciated The Da Vinci Cod: A Fishy Parody without having read it.

Now, the ones nobody tells you about, like Tanith Lee's Blood Opera series, Michael McDowell's Blackwater series, things like that -- oh yeah, baby, different story.

message 15: by Ana Sofia (new)

Ana Sofia Ferreira (anasofiathedreamer) Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Especially the second!!

message 16: by Yuener (new)

Yuener Xia | 6 comments Louise wrote: "The Demon trappers by Jana Oliver Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver I really love these books, but feel like noone else knows about them.

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead Georgia Kincaid series and [..."

OH MA GAWD PREACH
Feels like everyone only knows about VA for Richelle Mead. My fav series from her is the unfortunate Age of X series. Which is very very underrated :( I'm hoping that more people would read it and also scream about it with me. (It's also more towards adult than YA)

message 17: by Mieke (new)

Mieke (miekebxx) | 29 comments To all the boys I've loved before and History is all you left me waaaaaah

She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) Artemis Fowl <3

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments I've been wanting to read Forsaken FOREVER but either keep putting it off (because I don't own it) or find something else to read. Or never remember to look for it when I got to the library (which sadly isn't that often) So now I'm going to HAVE to read it!

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 100 comments Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "I've been wanting to read Forsaken FOREVER but either keep putting it off (because I don't own it) or find something else to read. Or never remember to look for it when I got to the ..."

Yes! Read it! The whole series are really good!