GOOD REVIEWS discussion

Self Publishing > Good Rating but no Review?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments Am just wondering why readers leave good or even excellent ratings for books they have read, but do not bother to review? This is not a complaint - I am grateful for anything I can get as an author! It is a genuine question. I wonder what the reasons are behind leaving a 5 star review for a book, but not reviewing it. I've probably done it myself, now I think of it. It could be something as simple as being too tired, or can't be bothered for whatever reason, I know. Just wondering.

Why am I asking? Because it is very gratifying to get three, four and five star ratings, but the reviews are the thing we indies need. Like I said, not complaining, I will take what I can get.

Thanks.

message 2: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk Most readers on Goodreads will rate a book without leaving a review :).

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 1 comments Since publishing my books, I have made more of an effort to write reviews for the books I read since, as you said, it's an important part of book promotion for indie authors. There are times, though, that I don't, for a few different reasons.

Sometimes I don't have the time and I tell myself I'll go back and add the review later...this happens occasionally, more often it doesn't. I move on to another book and never get back to writing a review.

Sometimes I finish a book and feel like it was just okay. I will rate it maybe a three, but just don't feel compelled to say anything because not much from the book stuck with me.

Then there are the best sellers by the best-selling authors. I rarely write reviews for these as there are usually already thousands by the time I read the book. I will rate it on Goodreads but feel like anything I have to say has probably already been said.

And I know, we all need reviews. Thanks for the reminder to make sure I'm writing them!

message 4: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments Margaret wrote: "Since publishing my books, I have made more of an effort to write reviews for the books I read since, as you said, it's an important part of book promotion for indie authors. There are times, thoug..."

Thanks Margaret, I can identify with that reasoning if I am honest!

message 5: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments Marie Silk wrote: "Most readers on Goodreads will rate a book without leaving a review :)."

Most? Really? Despite my original post, it has to be said that lots of reviews are left here on Goodreads. A variety of reasons why, as I suspected.

Since self publishing myself I try to leave reviews now, unless I really don't rate a book, when I then apply the old adage from my childhood "If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all." I know how damaging bad reviews can be.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (ginger68) | 41 comments I agree with Margaret on why I sometimes don't leave reviews. I try to leave reviews with every read but sadly sometimes when I'm reading a book so good in the wee morning lights I'm to tired to write a review. I will try harder to review my reads.

message 7: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk A quick look at any well-selling book on goodreads reveals a huge gap in the proportion of ratings to reviews. For example, the first Harry Potter book has over 4 million ratings and less than 100K reviews (on goodreads). I try to leave reviews, especially for indies, but I won't usually rate or review on books that I don't like.

message 8: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments Marie Silk wrote: "A quick look at any well-selling book on goodreads reveals a huge gap in the proportion of ratings to reviews. For example, the first Harry Potter book has over 4 million ratings and less than 100K..."

Fair enough! That's interesting about HP. Perhaps people felt it was so well known that there was no need to review? Just a thought.

message 9: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments Reba wrote: "I agree with Margaret on why I sometimes don't leave reviews. I try to leave reviews with every read but sadly sometimes when I'm reading a book so good in the wee morning lights I'm to tired to wr..."

Thank you Reba.

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrijd) | 9 comments I read and review quite often, but sometimes I only leave ratings. If I received the book for free or was personally asked to leave a review by the author, I make every effort to do so. If the book made an impact on me (good or bad), I leave a review.

Books that I only leave ratings for are usually the ones that I purchased myself and probably didn't have enough of an impact to have something to say about it that hasn't already been said.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) | 30 comments Margaret wrote: "Since publishing my books, I have made more of an effort to write reviews for the books I read since, as you said, it's an important part of book promotion for indie authors. There are times, thoug..."

Same thing happens to me, Margaret!

message 12: by Roland (new)

Roland Clarke (goodreadscomroland_clarke) | 8 comments I used to write long reviews and posted them on my blog, Goodreads and Amazon, but I was getting behind then spent a few days hospital. With deteriorating health, I cut my reviews shorter but say I want to add a longer one. But as a writer I never say nothing.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) | 30 comments Roland wrote: "I used to write long reviews and posted them on my blog, Goodreads and Amazon, but I was getting behind then spent a few days hospital. With deteriorating health, I cut my reviews shorter but say I..."

I'm sorry to hear about your health, Roland. Take care now!

message 14: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Simmons (arsimmons) | 21 comments I think that many readers look at reviews as if they are writing a formal "book report." As an author, I don't necessarily want anything of the sort. I only want honest reactions. What did you like? What did you not like? Did my book work for you?

There is nothing more enjoyable for me than to have someone deem one of my stories worthy of a review. The star system is fine, and I love the ratings. Mine seem to come in as 3:1 ratings to reviews. I'm grateful for every single one.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingregory) | 30 comments A.R. wrote: "I think that many readers look at reviews as if they are writing a formal "book report." As an author, I don't necessarily want anything of the sort. I only want honest reactions. What did you like..."

I share your attitude completely, A.R!

message 16: by Lillian (new)

Lillian White (lillianwhite) | 35 comments A.R. wrote: "I think that many readers look at reviews as if they are writing a formal "book report." As an author, I don't necessarily want anything of the sort. I only want honest reactions. What did you like..."

As am I A.R, thank you for your comment.

message 17: by Roland (new)

Roland Clarke (goodreadscomroland_clarke) | 8 comments Robin wrote: "Roland wrote: "I used to write long reviews and posted them on my blog, Goodreads and Amazon, but I was getting behind then spent a few days hospital. With deteriorating health, I cut my reviews sh..."

Thanks, Robin.