Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for July 2017

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in July?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments Bring Up The Bodies-Hilary Mantel
Three Sisters, Three Queens-Phillippa Gregory

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Shelton (jesshelton) | 1 comments The Lost Tudor Princess: The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas - Alison Weir
Bring Up The Bodies - Hilary Mantel

message 5: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Jun 02, 2017 11:15AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments We've already read:

1. Bring Up the Bodies (August 2015)
2. Three Sisters, Three Queens (October 2016)
3. Sister Queens (February 2015)
4. The Lost Tudor Princess (February 2016)

(Those threads remain open.)

So feel free to make more nominations.

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I nominate The Queen's Rival by Diane Haeger and The Tudor Bride by Joanna Hickson.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I am looking for a second to nominate.

message 8: by Rivkah (new)

Rivkah (rsk5041) | 12 comments Have we read Anne Boleyn A Kings Obsession
By Alison Weir?

message 10: by Rivkah (new)

Rivkah (rsk5041) | 12 comments Anne Boleyn A kings Obsession by Alison Weir

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard by Gareth Russell

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 95 comments I will nominate The Secret Bride (In The Court of Henry VIII, #1) by Diane Haeger and To Die For A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Ladies in Waiting, #1) by Sandra Byrd .

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather I also nominate Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession by Alison Weir

message 15: by Sabrina (last edited Jun 27, 2017 08:51AM) (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments I'd like to nominate "Lady In The Tower" by Jean Plaidy.
And "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir (about Lady Jane Grey).

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments :)

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Dunn (wendyjdunn) | 14 comments I'm really looking forward to reading Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard by Gareth Russell

and hoping it is okay to nominate my most recent Tudor novel, Falling Pomegranate Seeds: The Duty of Daughters

Utterly thrilled with its latest review:

https://www.madeglobal.com/news/

message 18: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Does "Falling Pomegranates" have anything to to with Katherine of Aragon" ? The symbol of Spain at that time was often the pomegranate.

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Dunn (wendyjdunn) | 14 comments Yes - it is the first novel of my planned series about her life. The first novel is told through the POV of her tutor, Beatriz Galindo, and explores the forces that shaped Katherine of Aragon (or Catalina as she was known to her family) during her growing up years at the court of her mother, Isabel of Castile.

message 20: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Oh Wow ! Sounds really interesting ! I've read a bit about Katherine's childhood at her parent's court and I think it's one of the most interesting periods of her life. She was very much under the influence of her mother, the remarkable Isabella of Castile.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments I'd also like to nominate Anne Boleyn A Kings Obsession
By Alison Weir
It was just released May 16, 2017

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments That's already been nominated, Stephanie - if you want to nominate something else. (Seconds aren't required.)

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments Ok. Sorry. Thanks!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments No problem. Just don't want to see folks "wasting" their nominations on something that's already nominated.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments If anyone wants to make a last-minute nomination, now is a good time to do so; I'll probably be closing nominations and starting a poll later today.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments Well, I think I will nominate Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant by Tracy BormanThe Children of Henry VIII by John Guy.

And with that I will close nominations, and create a poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments The poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... . Or on the front page of the group.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments The current leader is Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession - but not by a huge margin.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments The poll is only open the rest of today - and currently we have a tie! Between Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession, and Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty.

message 30: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Jun 12, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments The winner, by 1 vote: Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession.

We'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .