Start by marking “Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant” as Want to Read:
Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant

Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant

Thomas Cromwell has long been reviled as a Machiavellian schemer who stopped at nothing in his quest for power. As Henry VIII’s right-hand man, Cromwell was the architect of the English Reformation, secured Henry’s divorce from Catherine of Aragon and plotted the downfall of Anne Boleyn, and upon his arrest, was accused of trying to usurp the King himself. But here Tracy ...more
Published December 2nd 2014 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published September 11th 2014)

Start your review of Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant
Leanda Lisle
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The travel writer Colin Thubron once told me that to understand a country and its people he first asks, ‘what do they believe?’ This is also a good place to begin when writing about the past, not least when your subject is Thomas Cromwell, a key figure in the English Reformation. But Tracey Borman’s Cromwell doesn’t have beliefs so much as qualities: ones that will appeal to fans of the fictional Cromwell of Hilary Mantel’s Tudor novels.

Borman’s Cromwell likes women, and is nice to the poor.
Christine
This is actually quite a nice and balanced biography of Cromwell. He isn't white washed, he isn't made a saint. It is pretty darn good. And you don't need a background in the Tudors to read it.
Joan Colby
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who enjoyed “Wolf Hall” by Hilary Mantel would profit by reading ‘Thomas Cromwell” which provides a fuller portrait of Henry VIII’s right-hand man. A noticeably absent element omitted in the Masterpiece Theater production and not emphasized in Wolf Hall, is the extravagantly luxurious lifestyle attained by Cromwell as he became one of England’s richest men. A lover of art, music, the theater, hunting, falconry and sumptuous foods, he was known for his posh hospitality and witty ...more
Johanne
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a disappointing book, full of bad suppositions, contradictory statements and weak assumptions. The one that made me lose faith in the whole edifice was "at 50 Cromwell was older than most other people at court because Tudor life expectancy was 35" - doh if a historical biographer doesn't understand the impact of high child mortality on life expectancy (its a mean average), the Tudor court had many people in late middle age, e.g. Fisher, Wolsey, More etc. The use of quotations is ...more
Amy
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read much of Tudor history (both fiction and non-fiction) and being a huge fan of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, I felt this book would be an extremely interesting addition. It is very well researched and reads fairly easily, but doesn't necessarily add anything new to Cromwell's story. Whereas Mantel's writing cast Cromwell as a sympathetic character, Borman has Cromwell as a complete pragmatist and the mastermind and champion of the church reformation and Anne Boleyn's execution.

Phee
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Cromwell will always be a fascinating historical figure for me. Tudor England is one of my favourite periods of English history to learn about. Especially Henry VIII’s reign.
Not only did Cromwell achieve some incredible feats in terms of religious, political and legal changes. But he become the faithful servant of one of the most ruthless Kings of England, all whilst being low born.
Carolina Casas
Thomas Cromwell is one of the most controversial figures of the Tudor court. He is cast either as a villain or a saint. In a man for all seasons he is the main villain who does everything in his power to convict the saintly Thomas More of treason. Thomas More in contrast, represents all the goodness in the world. But in real life, he wasn’t devoid of demons as Boarman shows us in this book. And neither was Thomas Cromwell whose reputation has been very blackened since the nineteenth century. In ...more
Chris
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable biography of one of the most powerful and influential men in English history.

The book goes into as much depth as can be expected considering the mystery that shrouds most of Thomas Cromwell's life. Although it is true that not much is known of Cromwell's early life there is a good deal of documentation from the people at Henry VIII's court about his rise to power (and subsequent fall) much was written about his personality, but not always from a neutral point of view.

V.E. Lynne
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have long been interested in the life and character of Thomas Cromwell and thanks to the success of Hilary Mantel's 'Wolf Hall' he has got a new lease on life. In this biography by Tracy Borman we see laid out Cromwell's rise from very humble origins to the peak of power in Henry VIII's England and, more importantly, what it took for him to reach those heights. Essentially he was smarter, more ambitious and had a stronger work ethic than anyone else, especially his rivals in the aristocracy, ...more
Kimberly Wells
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
After reading Mantel's fantastic Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, I was looking for a historical biography that would tell me what was actually known about Thomas Cromwell. Borman's very readable new biography was a perfect answer.
Pamela
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Biography of Thomas Cromwell, adviser to Henry VIII, who was one of the most able politicians and administrators of the Tudor age. Cromwell has been viewed as both hero and villain through the ages, mainly depending on how the regime of the time viewed his religious reforms. In more recent times, Hilary Mantel's fiction has provided a more nuanced and interesting portrait of Cromwell.

This biography provides a balanced view of Cromwell's achievements and is very readable. There is a lack of
Jacob Stelling
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading another book on Thomas Cromwell earlier this year, I became intrigued by a figure who seemed to represent the rise of meritocracy in the court of English kings, and who was able to effect radical social and religious reforms before being brought down by the old, aristocratic elite.

Borman's account of events provided a different perspective to that which I had encountered previously and was thus an extremely enjoyable read.
Cindy Rollins
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 If you have been following the life of Thomas Cromwell by reading Hilary Mantel's books then you will
probably enjoy this solid biography of Cromwell by Tracy Borman. Much food for thought about an extremely perplexing man who lived in extremely perplexing times.
Joyce
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and 1 / 2 stars

This is a very good book about the life and times of Thomas Cromwell. It chronicles the period of time from his birth through his death. Contrary to historical opinion, Thomas Cromwell was not wholly bad, but had many good qualities as well. He was generous, kind and funny to his friends. He loved his family and was caring and very loyal to his friends. He was pious and abstemious and did not buy into the fanciful clothes or possessions of the day. While the public part of his
Aaron
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Tudor history will find themselves easily drawn into this book, which focuses on one of the villains of the age. As Henry VIII's top aide, Cromwell played a major role in shifting England toward protestantism as well as arranging for the divorce from Anne Boleyn and the marriage to Anne of Cleeves. He also was at the core of the projected to close the nation's monasteries, turning their wealth over to the crown.

Borman very much presents Cromwell in a bit of a different light. While she
Chris
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not quite sure what I was hoping for when I bought this book. Maybe my fascination with Henry VIII - who I now find a repulsive, childish and cruel specimen (even as far as being repulsed by his own daughter, Elizabeth, because she reminded him of her mother, Ann Boleyn!) - inspired me. All the things I had read before about Cromwell pointed towards him being an evil man looking out for himself rather than anyone else, and although Tracy Borman portrays him as kind, considerate and generous, ...more
Jenny
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get through this, though in its defense I had a bunch of other books on the go. I feel like this is a decent introduction to the subject, especially if you've read Wolf Hall and want to know more.
The more time I spend reading about Cromwell, the more I am convinced that it is difficult to draw conclusions. Borman tries to bring up some of the newer scholarship and opinion, as well as fresh interpretations of the record.
In trying to read further from the source documents,
Juliew.
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tudor, england, biography
Slightly biased and relying on rumor for some of the more controversial issues but I still found it a very readable and enjoyable account of Cromwell's life.It includes many lesser known side facts about his career and personal dealings and I couldn't help but to be totally immersed in the brutal but fascinating world of Henry VIII's court and that of one his most trusted aids.
Katie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“And it is not unknown to many of you, that I have been a great traveler in this world, and being but of a base degree, was called to high estate, and since the time I came thereunto, I have offended my prince, for the which I ask him heartily forgiveness, and beseech you all to pray to God with me, that he will forgive me.”

This was a well-rounded biography on Cromwell by all accounts. Some parts about the wives were repetitive for me, but I think the context provided is great for people who
Rick
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Borman’s is a very fine single volume biography of the villain of Robert Bolt’s A Man for All Seasons and the hero of Hilary Mantel’s novels. If you are a fan of both Bolt and Mantel and need to reconcile the different views, this book will sort you out regarding the hero-villain question. The answer, of course, is it’s complicated.

A scholar, merchant, lawyer, despite low birth and a difficult childhood, Cromwell was, like More, a man of great competence, intelligence, and ambition. His climb
David Taylor
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Writing books about Thomas Cromwell has become awfully fashionable. What impresses me most about Tracy Borman's biography is her recognition of Henry VIII's unstated reason for getting rid of his most accomplished minister. Cromwell had an almost cat-like cunning for the political game until he overreached himself by marrying his son Gregory to Jane Seymour's sister, thereby making himself Henry VIII's uncle by marriage. He, more than anyone, should have been aware of Henry's ruthless ...more
Noah Goats
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something inherently satisfying about the story of Thomas Cromwell. He rose from humble beginnings, became the second most powerful man in England after the King, and then fell abruptly and brutally from grace. He was pushed out of power and onto the block by men who used the same sorts of strong arm and underhanded tactics that Cromwell had used against so many.

Tracy Borman does a great job of telling this story. Her portrait of Cromwell is vivid and convincing, and her book is an
Caroline
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thomas Cromwell is hot property right now, with Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and the BBC adaptation of the same name, so it seemed like an opportune time to finally read this. The reign of Henry VIII is endlessly fascinating, not just because of Henry's marital history but because it was an era of great change for England, much of which can be laid at Cromwell's door.

Cromwell was an aberration at the Henrician court, a commoner, the son of a butcher from Putney, an entirely self-made man amongst
G. Lawrence
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good biography of Cromwell himself; fair and balanced. If you are looking for a readable, well-written biography of Cromwell, this is the one.

I was rather put off by the two dimensional evaluation of Anne Boleyn. Portrayed here as nothing but a vindictive shrew, I felt Borman let herself down somewhat. Even the fact that Anne wanted money taken from the dissolution of the monasteries to go to charity rather than to line the King, and Cromwell's pockets was glossed over. She is also mentioned
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Well-researched and well-written account of Cromwell's life. Enjoyed the perspective. That being said, I don't think it makes him any more sympathetic, which is what the author seems to have been going for. Cromwell is like Anne Boleyn for me - the charges were totally bogus and everyone knows it now as they knew it then, but I'm not sorry to have seen either go. When one plays the dangerous games Cromwell did - had to - to survive and gain more power, it is hardly surprising he was brought down ...more
Sue
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this as the January Group Read for Tudor History Lovers. Thoroughly enjoyed the easy to read style and anyone who found Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall difficult may find this easier to follow.
Henry VIII's fixer and right hand man was a masterful political operator. He was an intelligent and ruthless English lawyer who was a loyal servant to Wolsey and then Henry. You will understand more about the man and his motivation by the time you finish this book, and the sinister politics of the Tudor
Paula
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive history of Thomas Cromwell, with a lot of original source citations. It looks like Hilary Mantel's fictionalized Cromwell was not out of line with reality. Definitely worth reading if you enjoy reading about Tudor history.
Mary Catherine Pace
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good biography of a complex person in equally complex times. I felt I understood Cromwell and the era better after reading this work. A very readable biography, and a good companion read to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall series.
Alexandra Mackenzie
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fascinating history, very well researched and written. Only complaint is the old English quotes, some of which are quite hard to decipher; would have preferred a modern translation / spelling.
Kevin
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really Good! I fucking love Biographies. And Cromwell's life was especially interesting. It was also nice to see another side of the Anne Boleyn/Henry VIII Drama.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tudor History Lovers: January 2018 - Thomas Cromwell, by Tracy Borman 12 61 Jan 30, 2018 09:07AM

• The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn
  • Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
  • Scourge of Henry VIII: The Life of Marie de Guise
  • Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard, Fifth Wife of King Henry VIII
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
  • Rebellion: The History of England from James I to the Glorious Revolution (The History of England, #3)
  • Henry VIII: The King and His Court
  • Thomas Cromwell: A Life
  • Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII
  • The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation
  • Elizabeth's Rival: The Tumultuous Life of the Countess of Leicester: The Romance and Conspiracy that Threatened Queen Elizabeth's Court
  • The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors
  • A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain
  • Templar Silks (William Marshal #6)
  • Four Princes: Henry VIII, Francis I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Obsessions that Forged Modern Europe
  • The Norman Conquest
  • The Danish Queen
  • King John: Treachery and Tyranny in Medieval England: The Road to Magna Carta
Tracey Borman is a historian and author from Scothern, United Kingdom. She is most widely known as the author of Elizabeth's Women.

Borman was born and brought up in the village of Scothern, England near Lincoln. She was educated at Scothern Primary School (now Ellison Boulters School), William Farr School, Welton, and Yarborough School, Lincoln. She taught history at the University of Hull, where
“A woman with a good education was compared to a madman with a sword: she would be a danger to herself and to others.” 2 likes
“Throughout the world if it were sought, Fair words enough a man shall find; They be good cheap, they cost right nought, Their substance is but only wind; But well to say and so to mean, That sweet accord is seldom seen.” 0 likes