UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > What's on your summer reading list?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Do you prefer light novels? Hefty tomes? Deep literary fiction? Thinking 'I did not know that.' with some enlightening non-fiction?

A combination of the above?

Share what's on your To Be Read list here.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I have The Mind's Eye sitting waiting.

message 3: by Anupama (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've got a shed load of mystery and thrillers and I also will try Zorba the Greek

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments I think it has to be a work through of all the books I've accumulated on my 'want to read' shelf since I joined Goodreads...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments I don't read much in the summer. Too busy!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Not even a few pages while you sit and dig the dirt from beneath your nails?

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I've never understood this concept of summer reads, does what you take to the beach change from your normal type of reading? Not that I go on holiday, too busy writing, but when I did, I read exactly the same type of books as when I was at home.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Me too, Marc. I'll be reading my usual stuff, new stuff from authors I enjoy, beta reads from friends, ARCs from Netgalley...

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments ah good, not just me then! :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I usually save up books I've been really looking forward to reading with no distractions. It's wonderful knowing I can sit down and read for five or six hours straight, if I fancy.
I love not having to be aware that I have to put my kindle down and sleep because the alarm will be going off.
Or feeling guilty because I should be writing planning instead of reading.
Summer reading is wonderful.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmm,. Perhaps I've confused summer reading with holiday reading.

I forget some of my friends aren't teachers. ;)

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22033 comments Yes, my quiet reading times are more likely to be winter evenings than summer

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments And I'm retired so it's all holiday time!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Anyway...

Back to sharing books!

message 16: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments A Void by Georges Perec

A 284 page book without contain ing a single letter 'e'! Ironic seeing as the author's name on the spine contains 4.

But since this was originally written in french, props to the translator Gilbert Adair who retains the formal discipline in his translation, so no 'e's. That means no he/she/we/the.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Can't say that gimmick does anything for me, Marc.

message 18: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I thought it probably wouldn't :-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti likes her 'e's.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11351 comments I don't generally read different, although some books are best read when you have more time and I do read more in the summer, as I love sitting outside reading

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1728 comments I have a plan... must put it into action!

message 22: by Kady (new)

Kady Monroe | 226 comments I don't have a summer reading list. I will be reading books from my "to read" list, some of which will be borrowed from the library so I can't plan which of those to read until they become available.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Fierstein (goodreadscomwendyfierstein) | 18 comments The Empath's Survival Guide by Judith Orloff.

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3013 comments I don't have a summer reading list, just dip into my TBR for whatever I fancy reading next.

message 25: by Craig (new)

Craig Maxwell | 2 comments The walking dead series of graphic novels and the baltimore boys!

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Not the place for self promotion, Aditi.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I knew as soon as I saw there was a new post that it'd be spam.

Grrrr

message 28: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 21, 2017 12:26PM) (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I knew as soon as I saw there was a new post that it'd be spam.

Grrrr"

Let us make sandwiches with pickle,
and fritters and then titter...