The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

107 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.9 - MegSCL's Task: Your Objective

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2017 03:35AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
25. 9 - MegSCL's Task: Your Objective

Book 1: Read a book with the name of an object in its title (Plural, singular, and possessive forms of your book 2 cover object can be used, but no other variations)
Book 2: Read a book with that same object pictured on its cover.
REQUIRED: include the cover in your post.

What is an object?
For this task the object must meet the following definitions:
-An object is a real thing that you can touch, it's not an abstract concept
-An object is something distinct with edges, it's not a type of substance (e.g. snowflake works, snow does not)
-An object is not a person, being, animal, plant or any living creature. However, it can be an item that was once part of a living creature, e.g. a feather, leaf, flower. The feather, leaf, flower etc. must be depicted on the cover of Book 2 as a detached object (e.g. a cut flower or bunch of flowers in a vase works but flowers growing in a garden or meadow do not)
-An object must be small enough that it could theoretically fit in the living room of a large house (e.g. a car works, but a train does not). You can use parts of houses or buildings (door, wall) but not a building itself (house, home, castle).

Some examples:
Object: Nest
Book 1: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Book 2: Left Neglected by Lisa Genova Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.

Object: Throne
Book 1:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Book 2: A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab by V.E. Schwab

Object: Bone
Book 1: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Book 2: Human Acts by Han Kang by Han Kang.


message 2: by Meg (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:03PM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments There are lots of suggestions that work in the thread below, here are a few ideas that have come up multiple times.
book:People of the Book The Sign of the Book Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1) by Jennifer Lee Carrell Shadowboxing With Bukowski by Darrell Kastin An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue The Untold History of English by John McWhorter
key: Duplicate Keys Cronin's Key The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman The Ex by Alafair Burke Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley
door: The Door in the Hedge The Door to January The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn


message 3: by Meg (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:53PM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments doesn't work

Too big!:
Bridge Ripper by Isabel Allende


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Bea (last edited Jun 03, 2017 10:26PM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments So would this work?

Every Heart a Doorway and The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith (showing a doorway into the building)

Or this one?

Bone Deep and The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (bone)

Or...
The Sign of the Book and Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1) by Jennifer Lee Carrell (book)


message 6: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Does this work?

The Sound of Glass & Circling the Sun by Paula McLain

On the book cover, there is a glass on the small table.


message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments does this work
The Door to January door for the object and A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn
for door on building.


message 8: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2017 09:34AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Just checking that this combination would work. Book 1: House of Cards

Then using cards (houses of cards are usually playing cards).
Book 2: On The Slam A Bridge Club Mystery by Honor Hartman


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I like to verify The Painted Bridge and Ripper by Isabel Allende for bridge


message 10: by Pia (last edited Jun 03, 2017 09:06PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will any of these options work?

Hell's Gate
The object is "gate"

And gate on cover:
The Other La Bohème by Yorker Keith


The Book of Summer
The object is "book"

Shadowboxing With Bukowski by Darrell Kastin
Books on cover


message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3440 comments Do these two work? The object is a key
The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman
and
Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley


message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 712 comments If I use People of the Book for Book 1 (the object being "book"), would either of these covers be acceptable for Book 2?
An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue The Untold Story of English by John McWhorter

Thanks!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments okay, one of my books didn't qualify so how about
The Door in the Hedgeby Robin McKinley and The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley by Susanna Kearsley, door on the cover


message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Cronin's Key

The Ex by Alafair Burke

object: key


message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Bea wrote: "So would this work?

Every Heart a Doorway and The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith (showing a doorway into the building)

Or this one?

Bone Deep ..."


They are all good options


message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments BriKie wrote: "Does this work?

The Sound of Glass & Circling the Sun by Paula McLain

On the book cover, there is a glass on the small table."

That works, enjoy


message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments JennRenee wrote: "does this work
The Door to January door for the object and A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn
for door on building."


Looks good :)


message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I like to verify The Painted Bridge and Ripper by Isabel Allende for bridge"

Sorry, even though it's an object, a bridge is too big to fit in a room so it won't work for this task.


message 19: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Pia wrote: "Will any of these options work?

Hell's Gate
The object is "gate"

And gate on cover:
The Other La Bohème by Yorker Keith



The Book of Summer
The object is "bo..."


The books work, but I don't see that as a gate. I see an arch and curtains. Sorry


message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Andy wrote: "Do these two work? The object is a key
The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman
and
Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley"


Yes, looks good


message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Wayne wrote: "Why must an object be able to fit in a room? A ship is an object, isn't it?"

Yes, lots of objects are larger, but I wanted to set some limitations on what could be used for this task.


message 22: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Christine wrote: "If I use People of the Book for Book 1 (the object being "book"), would either of these covers be acceptable for Book 2?
An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine [bookcover:Our Magn..."

Yep they both look like books to me


message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, one of my books didn't qualify so how about
The Door in the Hedgeby Robin McKinley and The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsleyby Susanna Kearsley, door ..."

I can't see this cover clearly on my phone so I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've got my computer


message 24: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Dee wrote: "Cronin's Key

The Ex by Alafair Burke

object: key"

That works, go for it


message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Meg wrote: "Bea wrote: "So would this work?

Every Heart a Doorway and The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith (showing a doorway into the building)

Or this one?

[book:Bone Dee..."


Now to make a decision! LOL


message 26: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3440 comments Meg wrote: "Andy wrote: "Do these two work? The object is a key
The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman
and
Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley"

Yes, looks good"

Thank You


message 27: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Meg wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, one of my books didn't qualify so how about
The Door in the Hedgeby Robin McKinley and The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsleyby [author..."


Hi Jayme - I'm still struggling with this image. I can see a doorway but I don't think I can see an actual door in it. The picture is really hard to make out though so if you think there is a door there and you have a link to a better image I could look at that.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Here is the link to the goodreads book page https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9.... There is a door and if you click on the picture and click enlarge you can see it better.


message 29: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Here is the link to the goodreads book page https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9.... There is a door and if you click on the picture and click enlarge you can see it better."

I looked at that but still can't make it out. I was thinking maybe a link on another website. I really can't tell if there is a door there or just the wall behind the arch. I don't see any hinges or anything either.


message 30: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:03PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I looked at the enlarged picture and there is a door. I can find something else for a door on the cover.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments here is another book with a door on the cover Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis by Krista Davis


message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1182 comments How about:

Book 1: Girl in the Blue Coat
Book 2: Detective Cross by James Patterson (man wearing coat)


message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments I think I am going to change my mind (again)! I have a book that has been on my TBR Wishlist (and personal home shelf) for a LONG time ( Finding Moon by Tony Hillerman ). I just realized that the cover shows bones. I could pair it with Bones Never Lie, another book I have been wanting to read.

For a task that I did not think I had any pairings, I find I keep coming up with them!


message 34: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Does this cover show enough of a knife to work (my object is knife)?

Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2) by J.A. Redmerski

Thanks!


message 35: by Trish (last edited Jun 05, 2017 12:18AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Trish wrote: "Just checking that this combination would work. Book 1: House of Cards

Then using cards (houses of cards are usually playing cards).
Book 2: On The Slam A Bridge Club Mystery by Honor Hartman"


Hi there. Just wondering - did this possible combination get lost in the deluge, or didn't it work?


message 36: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Trish wrote: "Trish wrote: "Just checking that this combination would work. Book 1: House of Cards

Then using cards (houses of cards are usually playing cards).
Book 2: [bookcover:On The Slam: A ..."


Sorry Trish, I thought I'd replied. Yes good one!


message 37: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "here is another book with a door on the cover Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis by Krista Davis"

That one looks good


message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Amy wrote: "How about:

Book 1: Girl in the Blue Coat
Book 2: Detective Cross by James Patterson (man wearing coat)"


Good one, approved!


message 39: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Bea wrote: "I think I am going to change my mind (again)! I have a book that has been on my TBR Wishlist (and personal home shelf) for a LONG time (Finding Moon by Tony Hillerman). I just realized that the cov..."

That works, enjoy. Seems like bones are surprisingly common on book covers


message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Does this cover show enough of a knife to work (my object is knife)?

Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2) by J.A. Redmerski

Thanks!"


That looks like a knife to me. Approved


message 41: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Meg wrote: "Sorry Trish, I thought I'd replied. Yes good one! "

Thanks!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Meg wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "here is another book with a door on the cover Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis by Krista Davis"

That one looks good"


Thank you :)


message 43: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Meg wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Does this cover show enough of a knife to work (my object is knife)?

Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2) by J.A. Redmerski

Thanks!"

That looks like a knife to me. Approved"


Thank you!


message 44: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1449 comments Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #0.5) by Steve Hockensmith -chair
and
The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme #3)

Just checking the above fit the task?


message 45: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Tien wrote: "Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #0.5) by Steve Hockensmith -chair
and
The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme #3)

Just checking the above fit the task?"


Yes that pairing works


message 46: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1449 comments awesome, thanks!


message 47: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Will this combination of sword work?

The Sword of Shame

Blade Reforged (Fallen Blade, #4) by Kelly McCullough


message 48: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Fandury wrote: "Will this combination of sword work?

The Sword of Shame

Blade Reforged (Fallen Blade, #4) by Kelly McCullough"


Swords approved!


message 49: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2079 comments Would this work for seat Little Jewel by Patrick Modiano to go with The Driver's Seat?


message 50: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments Coralie wrote: "Would this work for seat Little Jewel by Patrick Modiano to go with The Driver's Seat?"

Yes that works


« previous 1
back to top