I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
What comics and OGNs are you reading right now? Anything good? Anything terrible?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Jamie wrote: "I'm continuing my own personal quest to read the whole Valiant back catalogue since the relaunch. Currently on what is considered Act 2,"

Nice! How are you enjoying it? I've been reading a lot of Valiant trades, but I've been jumping around. After reading a couple of the Rai books, I want to pick up the rest of the volumes connected to them.

message 3: by Kate (new)

PSA: Amazon is having a huge Marvel sale right now. Tons of trades for under $3. X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills is only 80 CENTS!!!!!

Check it out!

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 601 comments Mod
I sat down and read a few books this week:

X-O #2
Black Hammer #9
The Old Guard #4
Rat Queens #3
The Amory Wars: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV #2
Jean Grey #2

Rat Queens feels very forced. Which is kind of sad.

The Amory Wars: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV is a wild, context heavy story. I need to go back and re-read all of the old Amory Wars books...

Jean Grey #2 was fun. Just plain fun. Damn you Dennis Hopeless! You got me with this book!

I am looking forward to Iceman #1 today (gonna read when I get home) which was my pick on the show this week (the show also featured current Punisher artist Matt Horak, NBD... lol).

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I am still reading a lot of Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman: The True Amazon
Wonder Woman By George Perez Vol. 1
Also some of the Gail Simone run, and Phil Jimenez
X-O Manowar, Volume 3: Planet Death
Hightlight of the week is finally being able to finish Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1
also finishing Mark Millar and Capullo's Reborn

Reading alot more but those are the main things

message 6: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Nightwing 22- DC rebooted, so now we get the 'Wing/Blockbuster feud again.
Jessica Jones 9- Jessica insults Sharon Carter's hair. Really.
Harley Quinn 21- the truth about Red Tool
Iron Fist 4- the mysterious tournament continues
Green Arrow 24- Oliver Queen comes back from the dead, sorta.
Bombshells 28- things are bad on the Russian front.
Champions 9- a Viv Vision solo tale
Unstoppable Wasp 6- Nadia and the gang fight Nadia's "mom"
Avengers 8- The secret of Avenger X
Aquaman 24- you say you want a revolution...
Hawkeye 7- Kate's past comes back to haunt her

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments I just finished Aquaman 1 (Rebirth) and Prince of Cats from image.

message 8: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Aquaman is the only title I got through the DCNU and am still getting. I love him and Mera together.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Huu wrote: "Saga vol. 7 (re-read)
Saga #43
Kill or be Killed #9
Black Panther Vol. 1
4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #4
New Super-Man #11"

How is New Super-Man? Is that a current DC title? I don't think I've heard anybody talking about it so far.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Wayland wrote: "Hawkeye #7"

What did you think of the end of the first arc (sans spoilers)?

I am still so grumpy about it. I feel like they took the easiest possible way out, and I am so sick of that group popping up in every single Marvel book lately.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to pick up #7 or wait and see if my library gets the trade. I get it in digital, so there's no rush to decide.

message 11: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments It was ok. Kate (the Avenger, not you) amuses me, but honestly, at the risk of being pilloried, I kinda prefer Clint.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Been a while since I shared. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1, No Mercy, Vol. 1, Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy, Pretty Deadly, Vol. 2: The Bear, Siberia 56, The Valiant, Harbinger, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars, Welcome Back, Vol. 1: Help, I'm Alive, and Wonder Woman: The True Amazon. Kind of a mixed bag with Ultimate Spider-Man, Pretty Deadly, and The Valiant being standouts.

For anyone interested, Humble Bundle has a great BOOM! deal going on right now. It includes Lumberjanes, Giant Days, The Woods, and a bunch of others. You can pick up 40 DRM free digital trades for as little as $15. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/be...

message 13: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week at the comic shop I got

Hulk 7- Jen's retreat, and Hellcat drops by
Titans 12- soap opera on the team
Star Wars 32- against the Dark Queen
Ms Marvel 19- gets kind of political
Dresden Files: Dog Men 1- Harry teams up with Listens To Wind
Detective Comics 958- the team goes to a basketball game
Defenders 1- the 4 Netfilx heroes team up
Sam Wilson Captain America 23- Sam deals with Cap's take over
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 11- the secret behind the new Oracle
Weapon X 4- raid on the scientists behind the robots
Justice League of Ameria 8- A new valley of monsters
US Avengers 6- The Secret Empire strikes the team
Suicide Squad 19- Zod, The Eradicator and the Cyborg Superman oh my!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Wayland wrote: "It was ok. Kate (the Avenger, not you) amuses me, but honestly, at the risk of being pilloried, I kinda prefer Clint."

Haha fair enough. So far, nothing has beat Fraction and Aja's run for me.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Phillip wrote: "Been a while since I shared. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1, No Mercy, Vol. 1, Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy, [book:Pretty Deadly, Vol. 2: The B..."

Holy cow, thanks for the heads up!

Also, Pretty Deadly is fantastic, I totally agree.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments Just finished "Welcome Back" by Christopher Sebela and the Rebirth "Green Lanterns" by Sam Humphries.

Getting ready to start Black Panther vol 2 & 3 by Ta-Nehisi Coates, "Briggs Land" by Brian Wood, and "Black Hammer" by Jeff Lemire. We just had a huge order of new trades at my library and I'm reading them pre-putting them on the shelf! Perks of the job LOL.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Jen wrote: "We just had a huge order of new trades at my library and I'm reading them pre-putting them on the shelf! Perks of the job LOL. "

I just realized I need to change careers IMMEDIATELY.

message 18: by Hanson (new)

Hanson I'm currently rereading Preacher vol 2 prior to the 2nd season airing on AMC soon. Also I just finished the new DC one-shot Dark Days: The Forge, which is INSANE! Highly recommend.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Hanson wrote: "I'm currently rereading Preacher vol 2 prior to the 2nd season airing on AMC soon. Also I just finished the new DC one-shot Dark Days: The Forge, which is INSANE! Highly recommend."

The Forge was mind-blowing, Very Excited for METAL

message 20: by Kate (new)

When I opened the ComiXology app this evening, a pop-up message appeared saying that I have a free trial membership to ComiXology Unlimited for 7 days starting immediately.

Unlimited free comics!!!

If I flunk out of grad school, you'll know why....

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kate wrote: "When I opened the ComiXology app this evening, a pop-up message appeared saying that I have a free trial membership to ComiXology Unlimited for 7 days starting immediately.

Unlimited free comics!..."

Let me know what you think of their selection, I have the service because they have alot of the older Valiant stuff from 2012 which I am reading. I am still not convinced about the other series as you mainly get only Vol 1 and /or Vol 2 and i want to read it all not just the beginning.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Daniel wrote: "Let me know what you think of their selection... I am still not convinced about the other series as you mainly get only Vol 1 and /or Vol 2 and i want to read it all not just the beginning. "

Yeah that's definitely the big drawback I'm seeing. From a business standpoint it makes sense to get people into a series and then have them pay to continue reading it, but as a user, it really puts a damper on things.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Sandberg (jason_sandberg_ebooks) | 16 comments I'm reading the 2006 run of Ms. Marvel (picked it up on eBay after enjoying the DeConnick/Lopez run this spring). Also got Venus by Gilbert Hernandez.

message 24: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 601 comments Mod
I ended up dropping a few books last night after reading them and feeling 'meh' about them, namely The Flash.

Otherwise, I got caught up on Batwoman and Outcast, read Man-Thing #3-4 (which is kind of... awful but it's only 5 issues and I'm just going to stick through #5), Iceman #1 (FINALLY), and X-Men Blue #5 which was very, very odd.

Speaking of very odd: Batman #24. No spoilers, but WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON. Seriously. Bat-folks? Please message me or DM me on twitter. I need to scream about this issue.

message 25: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments I had my first culling of my pull list. I cut I Hate Fairyland because I'm just sick of the gimmick. The humor was worn out and its getting dumber every issue imo. I cut Hellblazer because I just dont know about this latest run. Its always been one of my favorite series, but I strongly prefer the old stuff.

Other than that, I've been up to my usual problematic reading levels, although now anime is cutting that down a bit lol. I started reading Dragonball Z, and wow this series is so nostalgic I can't give it a rating lol. It feels goofy as hell, and power levels are increased arbitrarily, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.
I read Tomie by Junji Ito. Ito is absolutely my favorite horror creator by 100x over. His grotesque body horror draws the eye in, and then the psychological consequences of whats happening sink in. This story is about a young "girl" Tomie who wanders from town to town, leaving a wake of grizzly murders behind her. Men who see her fall in love immediately and do as she pleases, although they strangely are also motivated to cut her into pieces and spread them across the land, which then creates multiple Tomie's. Its crazy and not his best work, but was still a good read.
Also finished Moon Knight #14, and now I have all the feels, and I once again blame Mike.

message 26: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run was pretty big. Here we go:

Spider-Man 2099 24- Ok, he's from the future, now in our time, but then he went a bit further into the future to stop something... confused yet?
Red Sonja 6- the fight with Kulan Gath reaches a conclusion.
Nightwing 23- A different take on the Nightwing/Blockbuster feud... or is it?
The Mighty Thor 20- There's another new Thor. Because we needed that?
Luke Cage 2- Luke deals with the aftermath of the death of an important character from his past.
Harley Quinn 22- weird stuff happens when Harley's parents stop by...
Green Arrow 25- I hate media creep (when something outside the comics changes things). Now we've got Seattle becoming Star City (did the old Star City go away in the reboot?), Ollie in lots of trouble, and the return of a character I don't think we've seen since the DCNU started.
Bombshells 29- Supergirl vs Power Girl, and it turns out PG's Bombshell costume is even more revealing than her modern one.
Steve Rogers, Captain America Hydra 18 Namor comes by and Black Panther opposes the new world order. Anyone else getting sick of Steve Rogers takes over the world? I know I am...
Aquaman 25- The king is dead, long live the king?
US Avengers 7- Yep, still sick of Steve Rogers takes over the world.
Invincible Iron Man 8-Riri deals with the aftermath of a major attack in Washington DC
X-Men Gold 6- Kitty and the gang fight a new kind of Sentinel, and one of the team really needs to step up.

I get where it's coming from, but I'm getting really tired of "dictator seizes power and does bad things" stories at the moment.

message 27: by Joe (new)

Joe Wilson (joewilson82) What I read this week

Batman #25- Really enjoyed this issue.
God Country #6- Sad to see this end, Highly recommend this book.
X-men Gold #6- Just OK. Sad to see the book becoming involved with secret empire.
Babyteeth #1-I'm a few weeks behind on this one, but I enjoyed this issue. Donny Cates has my attention.
Shirtless Bear Fighter #1- I liked this a lot. A fun ridiculous light read.
Luke Cage #2- Solid. Going to stick around to see where this goes.

About to read Old Guard #5- I heard a new issue for this series won't be out until 2018 :(

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Sandberg (jason_sandberg_ebooks) | 16 comments Wayland, I'm trade-waiting THOR, but it's hard to be patient. This might be one of the best runs for the character.

Also, I'm finding that I'm enjoying USAvengers more than the main Avengers title.

message 29: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I agree, Thor has been fantastic. I'm finding anything by Aaron is pretty damn impressive.

message 30: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Brophy | 20 comments Catching up on some Astro City--issues 32-34, the return of my all-time favorite Astro City resident, Steeljack. I have a soft spot for henchmen-turned-good and I love the noirish vibe Busiek and Anderson bring to their Steeljack stories in particular. He's a great anti-hero, the dented samurai type that I'm especially drawn to both reading and writing about.

message 31: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I just finish reading a few things
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 1: Aphra (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra so i can read Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel (2017) #1 as it wraps up this week.

Also I read X-O Manowar, Volume 3: Planet Death as i continue my Valiant travels

Lastly I read Weapons of Mutant Destruction becuase i love Greg Pak!!
and as a good Batman fan i am reading Batman (2016-) #25 The War of Jokes and Riddles

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara Salazar (sarabarbosa) | 13 comments I've been reading X-Men: Onslaught, already in the 3rd volume. Really big saga. Took same time to get to the action but, I am enjoying it quite a lot

message 33: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week I got:
Detective 959-Azrael vs Ascalon and DC's sexiest stage magician guest stars (yeah, I'm a Zatanna fan)
Blue Beetle 10-Arion vs Dr Fate with both Blue Beetles and a very different Flash
Occupy Avengers 8-Hawkeye and company resist Captain Hydra's new world order
Batman/Shadow 3-some surprising revelations about many minor DC characters and Batman's future
Justice League of America 9- The League vs Makson but should they stop him?
Defenders 2- Diamondback is back, and not the cute one that used to date Cap!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.