Start by marking “Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 1: Aphra” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 1: Aphra

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 1: Aphra

(Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (Collected Editions) #1)

Collects Doctor Aphra #1-6.

Following her time in the clutches of Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra has barely escaped with her life. If the Dark Lord of the Sith ever learns of her survival, he’ll hunt her to the ends of the galaxy. But for now, it’s time for a return to what she does best. With droids Triple-Zero and BeeTee-One in tow, she’s off in search of rare artifacts from t
Published June 21st 2017 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Alejandro
The doctor is in!

The story is set after the events of “Star Wars IV: A New Hope” but before the events of “Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back”. This TPB edition contains from the title of “Star Wars: Doctor Aphra” #1-6 in its new Marvel Canonic run.

Creative Team:

Writer: Keiron Gillen

Illustrator: Kev Walker

Cover: Antonio Fabela

WALKER, LARROCA IS NOT

Well, my first shock with this TPB was that the artwork wasn’t close to the astonishing cover by Antonio Fabela, and not even Salvador Larroca
Ben Brown
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Marvel got the rights to produce Star Wars comics back in 2014, we’ve been lucky enough to be inundated with loads of consistently great material: the main “Star Wars” series by Jason Aaron has been reliably excellent for nearly its entire now-30+ issue run, Kieron Gillen’s “Darth Vader” series is to die for, and even the lesser titles (“Chewbacca” and “Kanan,” I’m looking at you), while not inspiring, also haven’t quite managed to qualify for anything reaching truly “god awful” status. Su ...more
Kemper
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….

Shady space archaeologist Doctor Aphra has finally managed to quit working for Darth Vader without ending up dead. Now along with her two murderous droids and the fierce Wookie bounty hunter Black Krrsantan she’s just trying to find precious artifacts to sell so she can pay off debts she owes. However, her business plan gets delayed when her archaeologist credentials are revoked thanks to a person from her past. To get back in business Aphra will have t
Chad
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Basically the Darth Vader book without Darth Vader. Kieron Gillen spins Dr. Aphra off into her own book and she brings, BeeTee, Triple Zero, and Black Krrsantan along for the ride. All of the fantastic quipping and underhandedness is still here with our two murder droids, as is Aphra's snark. After faking her death over in the Vader comic, Aphra is back to pilfering archaeological treasures to auction off to the highest bidder. Then her dad shows up and blackmails her into helping to go after hi ...more
Jessamyn Leigh
Have you, like many of us, found yourself watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and thinking "You know what would make this better? If we put it in space with an Asian female protagonist and skipped the womanizing?".

If you answered yes, this book is for you.
Chris Lemmerman
The breakout character of Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader run gets her own (well-deserved) ongoing comic, bringing along all of your other favourite new characters like murderous droids BeeTee and Triple-Zero, and Wookiee bounty hunter Black Krrsantan in an archeological adventure that puts her squarely in the crosshairs of both the Empire and...her father?

I love Aphra as a character - she's exactly the kind of snarky that Gillen writes so well, and seeing him play with a character on the darker sid
Cale
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Doctor Aphra and Co. is always a good thing. This Volume takes more than a few nods to the Indiana Jones series, as Aphra ends up working with her estranged father to dig into a mystical myth he's been chasing his whole life. Things go poorly, as expected, with Aphra and her droids and Black Krrsantan facing up against imperials, gangsters, and ancient intelligences. Aphra's dark humor goes a long way, as do BeeTee and TripleZero's quipping, which never seems to get old. There's an action s ...more
Jim C
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This is about a character that we first met in the limited series run about Darth Vader. She gets her starring role in this comic and she is basically an archaeologist that has several outstanding debts. I would liken her to a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

In this one, Doctor Aphra goes to sell some items that she has discovered. There is a problem though as she is no longer a doctor and therefore she cannot sell the items for their value. This problem leads
Jerry
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have time for a detailed review, but, I will say that I liked the story and artwork in this comic book omnibus. What I didn't like was the title characters immodest dress at times and the occasional profanity.
David Dalton
A very odd ball set of characters. Doctor Aphra comes across as a Laura Croft in space. Love her crew. I plan to check out the next volume of Doctor Aphra's adventures. It is a big Star Wars universe, there should be many different stories out there.
Scott Rhee
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure if I’m supposed to know who Doctor Aphra is, being a Star Wars fan and all, but I had no idea who she was before reading “Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 1: Aphra”.

Written by Kieron Gillen and drawn by Kev Walker and Marc Deering, “Aphra” is, obviously, set in the Star Wars galaxy. The title character is a cute (Asian-looking, although clearly the Asiatic race does not compute with the Star Wars galaxy as it is set in a galaxy far, far away from Asia), bouncy, trouble-making rogue ar
Roy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cool story thus far. I'd seen her appear in a Vader story and thought I'd check it out. Alot of fun with her team and adventure. Perfect blend of humour and action. Will be insisting to see if this can hold up as the story continues. Star Wars stories can always be hit and miss so it was great to have s refreshing new story.
Lance Shadow
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kieron Gillen's new comic series focusing on new character Dr. Aphra was released in trade paperback earlier this month and it took me until the end of the month to review it. Who cares, here's my review.

I felt that his Darth Vader series, while starting out really strong, steadily dropped in quality as the storyline got more convoluted and more ridiculous and contrived plot points were introduced. However, of the aspects that consistently remained good until the end, one of those was the chara
Neil R. Coulter
A typo in the opening crawl??? Does anybody who publishes Star Wars books even care anymore??

Anyway.

An adventuring archaeologist, with a father who has spent his whole life obsessively pursuing a single artifact. They go on an adventure together, bickering all the while because of the younger archaeologist's bitterness about the father-child relationship, and end up finding the father's "holy grail"--which turns out to be very dangerous, and not at all what the father had hoped for all those yea
Mel
I bought the first two of these as comics then decided to wait for the graphic novel. It was nice to read it all one go. The most important thing was THEY OUTED DOCTOR APHRA!!!!!!!!!!! Cause I'd been hoping for awhile, cute evil archaeologist, but Star Wars being so short of queer characters it wasn't expected. But just a few lines at the end changed that! YAY!

There was also a story about long ago evil Jedi and missing artefacts which was enjoyable! Really looking forward to reading Aphra's new
J. Gowin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
So yeah, I'm panning a Star Wars property. In their secret lair, beneath Space Mountain, the overlords of the House of Mouse are planning a most unfortunate fate for me.

I felt that there are two (2) major problems with this work.

First, Aphra is OP. Some recent critiques of the Star Wars franchise would attribute this to Mary Sue writing and/or SJW shenanigans. I diverge from this view in that I believe that the problem arises from the origin of the character. You see, Doctor Aphra was created as
Diz
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Doctor Aphra is basically an Indiana Jones type character, but without a moral compass. As a character, she's interesting because she provides a different perspective from those that we usually see in Star Wars stories. In this story, she is convinced (blackmailed) by her father to help him find an ancient heretical order of Jedi who were on a quest for immortality. As expected, things don't go smoothly.

The art is nice, but there is one inconsistency that is glaring. Doctor Aphra is an Asian cha
Jens
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally Doctor Aphra, the most interesting character of Star Wars, and her competently homicidal sidekicks get their own comic! Here we get to know her a bit better as she meets her dad and they dig into their own past while trying to unearth archeological and dangerous finds. Read it, you won't be disappointed. This should have been made into a movie instead of the snorefest Solo. Here are none of the standard wooden star wars characters or sensibilities, just pure actionfilled fun with a twist ...more
Dreximgirl
I had no idea who Aphra was before this volume but it wasnt too hard to get the gist of it thanks to flashbacks and exposition. Overall it was fun and a little silly, which is really to be expected from these kind of Star Wars graphic novels now. I like Aphra herself and the droids are hilarious. I'm interested enough to keep reading.
James DeSantis
This took me a long time to read. I can't even remember the plot much.

Thing is, the art is solid and the writing is fine. I still like Aphra a lot.

However, she was more interesting in the Vader series. This is kind of just okayish. A 2.5 out of 5. I'll go with 3 for the art.
Matt
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collects Star Wars: Doctor Aphra issues #1-6

Kieron Gillen wrote an excellent series about Darth Vader which ran 25 issues. Throughout the course of this series, Gillen created a lot of supporting characters for Darth Vader, and four of the best new characters are the stars of this series:

-Doctor Aphra
-Triple-Zero
-BeeTee-One
-Black Krrsantan

The title character, Aphra is, in some ways, a mix between Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. Like Han, she lives in the gray area of life (a little bit bad and a l
Logan
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Indiana Jones or Firefly
Evil Indiana Jones. In space. Also female. And lesbian. She steals priceless, dangerous artifacts from strange alien worlds and stays one step ahead of the Empire with the help of her sidekicks Evil Chewbacca, Evil C-3PO, and Evil R2-D2.

Gotta be honest, I love every word of that premise.

After reading Gillen and Larroca's face-melting DARTH VADER series, I felt certain that Doctor Aphra was exactly the kind of character that could carry her own solo title. And so she has.

The end result is hella f
Renata
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun! I hadn't realized the Doctor Aphra character was a spinoff from the Darth Vader comics, which I haven't read, but personally I think I followed it fine. I just had a tiny bit of "ooh is this supposed to be an ~intentionally mysterious backstory~ thing or did this just happen in a comic I haven't read?" problem, but it didn't cramp my enjoyment. She's a really fun character and I like this kind of Star Wars-adjacent heist-y adventure. Plus, bonus, nice to have canonically q ...more
Jonathan Roberts
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Interesting cast of characters, ones that I will come back to in a future trade. Decent enough story, ties to other Star Wars stories, so that is fun. So why the low score? Well this is the first time in a long time o have caught several typos in a graphic novel. Starting with the opening crawl into at least one speaking ballon this book had the marks of being rushed to market, or the trade was not proofed. Whatever it is, come on Marvel don't just pump stuff out, make these comics a labor of lo ...more
C
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Darth Vader series. I thought the murderous droid duo was overdone and obnoxious, I thought the plots were a mixture of been there, done that and over the top ludicrous. In general, the Marvel Star Wars comics haven’t done a whole lot for me so far. (Not that they have been bad for the most part, just average in every possible way…)
That could change with this series. Aphra is a character that I liked in the Vader series and giving her her own book to shine is
Stephen Richter
A Wookie that is a ex-Gladiator ?! A 3-PO that is a Torture Droid ?! Add to the mix the leader of the pack an ex- Imperial and Ex-employee of Darth Vader , Doctor of Archaeology with daddy problems , Aphra. Loads of fun with great art work. A must read for those who like the blurring of the lines between the Good and Bad in Star Wars.
Elena
A good read on a fine International Womens Day like today :) I'm glad they blended Harrison Ford's two charaters in one: Han Solo and Indiana Jones, it's interesting to focus on new characters in a well-known Star Wars universe.
Clara
This was really confusing. I never quite figured out what was going on - having all of the different versions of that ancient story didn't make things very easy though.

ALL of the points for canon queer Star Wars characters though!
Nicis
I LOVE HER I LOVE HER I LOVE HER
Tyler Kroon
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! Doctor Aphra is a fun, new character in the Star Wars universe, and she's a badass, anti-Indiana Jones-type archaeologist with questionable morals and some hilariously violent droids as sidekicks. I look forward to reading more!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 2: The Gathering Storm
  • Star Wars, Vol. 3: Rebel Jail
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Shattered Empire
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (Collected Editions) (7 books)
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 2: Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit