SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Book Talk > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 207 comments Mod
If you're searching for particular trope, feel free to ask for recs here!

Want a good beta hero? A steamy paranormal? Our members can help you out!

message 2: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I know I cannot ever have enough of a good marriage of convenience story, preferably a historical! Feels like I read everything out there already, though...

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Hm...two newish marriage of convenience stories we've favorably reviewed are The Warlord's Wife and A Duchess in Name.

But I feel like marriage of convenience stories are incredibly popular, and it's tough knowing the good from the bad. Though historicals aren't my thing, haha.

message 4: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I've read a Duchess in Name, it was solid although I had some reservations about the hero...

I will check out The Warlord's Wife!!

Claudia

message 5: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 3 comments This is probably one you've already read, but I just finished The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson, and I loved it!! Marriage of convenience set during WWII in Vienna and the UK.

Also, it's not historical, but an underrated marriage of convenience is Promised Land by Connie Willis and Cynthia Felice. It's basically a sci-fi rom-com, but it's hilarious and poignant all at once, and the world building is amazing. A woman comes back to her home planet after years away at school to claim her inheritance, only to discover that the planet laws are throwing a wrench in her plans.

message 6: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Hey Bitchery, what's that new F/F novel where they agree to a marriage in name for 5 years for immigration? "I'd marry you." etc. It was reviewed/discussed at SBTB recently and I thought I had added it to my TBR here but now can't find the title...

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Tuuli wrote: "Hey Bitchery, what's that new F/F novel where they agree to a marriage in name for 5 years for immigration? "I'd marry you." etc. It was reviewed/discussed at SBTB recently and I thought I had adde..."

It's Far from Home!

message 8: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments You rock, Amanda! I totally did have it in my TBR list too, the name just rang no bells whatsoever so my eye slid right past it... thanks!

message 9: by Mara (new)

Mara Rose | 5 comments It's 2am Sunday morning, and I've ran through my Holiday reading plans! Mainly because one book was so awesome that it really overshadowed the other two I had to the point where I almost hated the other two! It was too much Alphaness and almost 90s-bodice-ripping-rape-scenes for me.

Sooooooo - any recommendations for Beta Heroes of Historical Romances? I'm seriously going to stay up to find me a good book because I was that disturbed by the other two I just DNF'd.

message 10: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Yeah, Far from Home was good! I don't have any other F/F recs though, sorry Bianca!

Here's my next question: I had a romance dream last night (don't y'all love those?) and now I want to read something similar. It was in college, with a football player hero and a smart and scholarly heroine. Everyone around them was blown away and made fun of them when they started hanging out, but it was one of those "everyone else just sees them as stereotypes (dumb jock and serious girl), and only each other see all of the other person" kind of trope.

Can anyone recommend anything similar? I will go to Sarina Bowen's The Ivy Years if nothing better comes up, have not read those yet...

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 7 comments Tuuli-

Try Fake Fiancée by Isla Madden-Mills. College football quarterback and the girl who just wants to get an education.

message 12: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Thanks Sara, I will check that out! I started reading The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan, which is very similar also.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

So I'm knee-deep in personal family junk and I haven't finished a book recreationally in two months, which is a major bummer.

What are some of your favorite reads to break a reading slump?

message 14: by Celine (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments @Amanda I find that super light and fluffy contemporaries work best for breaking my slumps. Lauren Layne is good for that. Walk of Shame broke one of my recent slumps. RS Grey is another one I found that works for that. Also I sometimes reread my comfort reads like Sherry Thomas, Lisa Kleypas, and a few of SEP's books.

message 15: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Good suggestions, Celine! I would go for something particularly escapist to break a slump. How about one of the funnier Georgette Heyers (Cotillion, Masqueraders, Frederica, Grand Sophy), or rereading a particularly sparkling contemporary like The Royal We or The Hating Game or a Lucy Parker?

message 16: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (jaynechanger) | 49 comments I go for novellas if I need a change of pace. They're like an "amuse bouche".

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I know I cannot ever have enough of a good marriage of convenience story, preferably a historical! Feels like I read everything out there already, though..."

My favorite marriage of convenience is The Bargain - Mary Jo Putney
I know I'm a little late to the question, but this one is a favorite of mine.

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments Amanda wrote: "So I'm knee-deep in personal family junk and I haven't finished a book recreationally in two months, which is a major bummer.

What are some of your favorite reads to break a reading slump?"

For some light reading, Hot in Hellcat Canyon is just too fun. I never would have even considered this one if I hadn't found it on SBTB, but I've got the second book on hold from my library now.

I also really love The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie for a strong, silent regency type.

message 19: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 2 comments I love a witty contemporary with low angst. I am on LGBTQA kick but any kind of couple is fine. What are some of your favorites?

message 20: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 248 comments Knit One, Girl Two is a cute, contemporary F/F low angst novella.

message 21: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 2 comments I read that and that it was really fun!

message 22: by Seana (new)

Seana Kelly | 5 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I know I cannot ever have enough of a good marriage of convenience story, preferably a historical! Feels like I read everything out there already, though..."

For marriage of convenience, I loved The Reunion by Sara Portman.

message 23: by Seana (new)

Seana Kelly | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "So I'm knee-deep in personal family junk and I haven't finished a book recreationally in two months, which is a major bummer.

I usually go back and re-read my most beloved series. Depending on my mood, that could be the Mercy Thompson series (Patricia Briggs), Fever series (Karen Marie Moning), In Death series (JD Robb), the Others series (Anne Bishop), Charley Davidson series (Darynda Jones), Chicago Stars series (Susan E Phillips)...

message 24: by Seana (new)

Seana Kelly | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "So I'm knee-deep in personal family junk and I haven't finished a book recreationally in two months, which is a major bummer.

I LOVE Kleypas' new Ravenel series--especially Marrying Winterborne <3

message 25: by Christy (new)

Christy | 6 comments I made this request in the Marriage of Convenience trope discussion but wanted to post here as well,

Does anyone have some contemporary suggestions (MOC tends to be mostly historical)? Pretend boyfriend/girlfriend a la Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me or forced proximity like Courtney Milan's Trade Me?

I'm taking a historical break but I still love this trope!

Thanks!!

message 26: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments Christy wrote: "I made this request in the Marriage of Convenience trope discussion but wanted to post here as well,

Does anyone have some contemporary suggestions (MOC tends to be mostly historical)? Pretend boy..."

Hi Christy! A contemporary forced proximity is Truly by Ruthie Knox, where the heroine is stranded in NYC and relies on the reluctant kindness of a grumpy chef/beekeeper hero. I also loved the young adult (college-bound protagonists) When Dimple Met Rishi, which has two Indian-Americans whose parents have arranged marriage plans. The hero loves this idea because he is an adorable beta who likes the idea of matchmaking, the heroine hates it and wants to be single and independent while she gets an education. And then there's forced proximity due to a camp project.

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments This isn't looking for a recommendation (I've literally got over 2,000 TBRs thanks to the wonderful temptations of Goodreads) but rather making one: I LOVE Ren Benton's books (standalone contemporary romances), and I discovered her via her intelligent and witty comments on SBTB (the only place on the Internet I'll read the comments <3 ). She's only written two so far, but they were both superbly written and had a refreshingly realistic approach. Yes, sometimes one wants to read about billionaires who never need to work or idyllic small towns that somehow have a bustling cupcake-and-boutique-based economy but it felt so good to read about flawed people dealing with life's vagaries while slowly letting another person into their life and creating a partnership from which to address their problems. (Plus, one book has lots of baked goods, and one book has this brilliant thing called PIZZA GRILLED CHEESE.)

message 28: by Christy (new)

Christy | 6 comments Cat wrote: "Christy wrote: "I made this request in the Marriage of Convenience trope discussion but wanted to post here as well,

Does anyone have some contemporary suggestions (MOC tends to be mostly historic..."

Thank you so much!!

message 29: by mariella (new)

mariella (mariellab) | 4 comments Guys I know it's a weird request but I'm doing a challenge. Do you have any recommendations on a romance with a swimmer or runner as a protagonist?

message 30: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments mariella wrote: "Guys I know it's a weird request but I'm doing a challenge. Do you have any recommendations on a romance with a swimmer or runner as a protagonist?"

Try Winning Ruby Heart, it was recommended in our Quarterly Challenge thread.

message 31: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 248 comments mariella wrote: "Guys I know it's a weird request but I'm doing a challenge. Do you have any recommendations on a romance with a swimmer or runner as a protagonist?"

Yes! Wicked Games is a really cute contemporary by Jessica Clare, recommended a while ago on SBTB. The hero is a swimmer, the heroine is a journalist, and the setting is a survivor-like reality show.

message 32: by Reeder (new)

Reeder | 15 comments mariella wrote: "Guys I know it's a weird request but I'm doing a challenge. Do you have any recommendations on a romance with a swimmer or runner as a protagonist?"

Stroked Long by Meghan Quinn is the second of a three-book series where the heroes are swimmers competing in the 2016 Olympic games in Rio (well, the hero in the third book is a diver, so let's just focus on swimmer Bodi and his PTSD and OCD).

message 33: by mariella (new)

mariella (mariellab) | 4 comments Thank you guys!

message 34: by Reeder (new)

Reeder | 15 comments Recommended romance novellas and short stories, please? Any subgenre is welcome, my only preference is that they be available for individual ebook purchase (as opposed to only being available in a print collection).

message 35: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (jaynechanger) | 49 comments Hey Reeder:

Holiday House Call (Calling It, #3.5) by Jen Doyle Contemporary Romance
The Secret of My Seduction (Scandalous #4.5) by Caroline Linden Historical Romance
The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan Historical Romance AND AMAZING!!!
Wolf Summer by Sionna Fox Shifter Romance (also can be found as part of a 3 author set of novellas if that's your jam. Mated Saving His Wolf \ Wolf Summer \ Drawn to the Wolves by Kerry Adrienne
Hotel Oriente (Sugar Sun, #1) by Jennifer Hallock Historical Romance set in 1910's Philippines.
In Skates Trouble (Chicago Rebels, #.5) by Kate Meader Contemporary Sports Romance.
Necessary Force (K-9 Rescue, #0.5) by D.D. Ayres Romantic Suspense (with working dogs!!)
Naughty, Dirty, Cocky (Steamy Coffee Collection, #1-3) by Whitney G. Super Sexy Contemporary Novella series - each book is also available individually.

I have a GoodReads Novella shelf Here if you need more recs.

message 36: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I heartily concur with Jayne re. the Courtney Milan and the Caroline Linden novellas, and I'd also add:

I Love the Earl

A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong

message 37: by Reeder (new)

Reeder | 15 comments @Jayne, it's so perfect that you have a novella shelf. Thank you for the recs (amazing variety!), and thank you for sharing the shelf.

@Mclaudia, *jaw drop* How had I missed that Blackshears novella? AND IT'S FREE ON KINDLE.

Thank you both so much!

message 38: by D (new)

D (daronie) | 2 comments I'm in the mood for some heart-wrenching, hard-core, loved-you-for-years unrequited love stories. Historical or contemporary!

Examples of books I've loved in the past featuring said yearning:

Ravishing the Heiress
Going Nowhere Fast
Like No Other Lover
The Hating Game

Bring on that delicious angst, if you'd be so kind...

message 39: by Allison (last edited Dec 07, 2017 03:30PM) (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments Daron wrote: "I'm in the mood for some heart-wrenching, hard-core, loved-you-for-years unrequited love stories. Historical or contemporary!

[bo..."

Adding yours to the list! Here are a few I've read recently.

[book:A Rogue by Any Other Name|10428803]
If the Viscount Falls
Seduce Me at Sunrise
Face the Fire
The Study of Seduction
The Sweetest Thing
Wild at Whiskey Creek

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments Christy wrote: "I made this request in the Marriage of Convenience trope discussion but wanted to post here as well,

Does anyone have some contemporary suggestions (MOC tends to be mostly historical)? Pretend boy..."

Contemporary close proximity
Match Me If You Can

message 41: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (jaynechanger) | 49 comments Daron wrote: "I'm in the mood for some heart-wrenching, hard-core, loved-you-for-years unrequited love stories. Historical or contemporary!

"

Ohh Ohh Ohh!!
Contemporaries.
On Broken Wings (Wild Aces, #3) by Chanel Cleeton Chanel Cleeton. It's book 3 in a series, you don't *need* to read the other books in the series, but it has a major spoiler if you haven't, plus they give the build up to this couple's story.
Second to None (Second Glances #0.5) by Nancy Herkness Nancy Herkness, Novella.
Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1) by Penny Reid Penny Reid. First in an Awesome series
Back to the Good Fortune Diner by Vicki Essex Vicki Essex.
Beautiful Player (Beautiful Bastard, #3) by Christina Lauren Christina Lauren.
I think you get two of them in JR Ward's Bourbon Kings Series,
The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward The Angels' Share (The Bourbon Kings, #2) by J.R. Ward Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3) by J.R. Ward
particularly book 2&3, But you really need to read book 1 for context (And it's worth it - one of my favourite series this year).

message 42: by Mclaudia (last edited Dec 08, 2017 07:12AM) (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Daron wrote: "I'm in the mood for some heart-wrenching, hard-core, loved-you-for-years unrequited love stories. Historical or contemporary!

[bo..."

A historical that I recommended over the friends-to-lovers trope talk:

[bookcover:A Rake's Guide to Seduction|2516134]
Do not let the cheesy title fool you! It's really good.

message 43: by Christy (new)

Christy | 6 comments Allison wrote: "Christy wrote: "I made this request in the Marriage of Convenience trope discussion but wanted to post here as well,

Does anyone have some contemporary suggestions (MOC tends to be mostly historic..."

Thank you!

message 44: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments I just finished A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery and I loved it. Can y'all please recommend other similar books/series? Either historical mystery with a good romance in it, or a historical romance with a good mystery in it?

I have Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia books on my list already.

message 45: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Tuuli wrote: "I just finished A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery and I loved it. Can y'all please recommend other similar books/series? Either historical mystery with a good romance in it, ..."

Do you know about Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series? I haven't read them (there are two with a third soon) but lots of people seem to enjoy it.

There's also K.J. Charles latest series, I've read two they were great. She's such a good writer. This would be romance with mystery in it, and Victorian.

An Unnatural Vice

I believe this is the first one in th series.

message 46: by Jadetyger (last edited Dec 23, 2017 09:07AM) (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 7 comments I'll recommend the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, if you haven't read it already. It starts with Crocodile on the Sandbank

I'm still reading A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery, and really enjoying it!

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments I really enjoyed the Lady Darby series by Anna Lee Huber. They are primarily mystery, but with a strong romantic undercurrent.

message 48: by Tuuli (last edited Dec 24, 2017 06:18PM) (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Thanks ladies! I did already read and love the Lady Sherlock books (do it, @mclaudia!), and I will check all the other suggestions out.

message 49: by Allison (new)

Allison (allie1123) | 13 comments Tuuli wrote: "I just finished A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery and I loved it. Can y'all please recommend other similar books/series? Either historical mystery with a good romance in it, ..."

Another recommendation. Not exactly mystery, but Victorian adventure memoir. I am currently reading this one and it is SO GOOD!

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1) by Marie Brennan
A Natural History of Dragons

message 50: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Thanks Allison! It's on my TBR, I'll bump it up!

« previous 1