Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading June 2017?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2974 comments I'm still reading, but nearly finished, Pirate King. It's interesting in that the bulk of the book has been more sort of a comedy about the film industry, and it's only in the last 3/4 of the book that we're really getting to the mystery aspect of the story.

message 2: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yesterday I started The Crimson Campaign. Enjoying it as much as book 1 so far. There's something to this Flintlock Fantasy thing.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Read The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse a couple of hours ago. Nice cynical humour in the style of a book that would have been intended for primary school-aged kids but, in this case, is part of a series that is 'specially planned to help grown-ups with the world about them'. ;)

Michelle Sedai ☆of the Brown Ajah☆ (michellekobus) | 122 comments So far these past two days, I've mostly just been reading The Apprentice's Quest (Warriors: A Vision of Shadows, #1) by Erin Hunter and Shadowheart (Shadowmarch, #4) by Tad Willaims. Manga aside, I've pretty much been stalling out this year. :/

message 5: by Greg (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:24AM) (new)

Greg | 197 comments Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "So far these past two days, I've mostly just been reading The Apprentice's Quest (Warriors: A Vision of Shadows, #1) by Erin Hunter and...."

I haven't been reading that much either though I did finish some manga this morning - Don't Be Cruel: 2-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1 2. The Shadowheart series looks like fun btw!

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments And I just finished How It Works: The Cat - another children's book parody!

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments I'm still listening to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet on Audible.

I'll likely be starting a new book today, probably The Hum and the Shiver. Years ago I bought a signed copy I found in a little book store & I'm hoping it made it to my house during the move last year.

I was reading Woman No. 17, a non-genre novel from Book of The Month Club, but I just had to stop it this morning. I had a difficult time with how pretentious it was, and when it used an absolutely vulgar term when it wasn't necessary at all, I couldn't suffer through it anymore.

So back to sci-fi & fantasy it is! Ha ha.

Michelle Sedai ☆of the Brown Ajah☆ (michellekobus) | 122 comments Greg wrote: "I haven't been reading that much either though I did finish some manga this morning - Don't Be Cruel: 2-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1 2. The Shadowheart series looks like fun btw!"

LOL I might just check that one out! And I do really love Tad Williams and can't recommend him enough, if you get the chance (despite how slow I'm making my way through his books); he has some very interesting takes on some of the standard fantasy creatures and world building that really makes his work intriguing. :)

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I was supposed to be reading Malice but I somehow slipped and fell into After the Crown.

Which I LOVED.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 41 comments I'm still reading Red Seas Under Red Skies. It's okay so far. 5th of the book left to read, but it does feel a bit like it's stagnated in the second half of the book.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "Greg wrote: "I haven't been reading that much either though I did finish some manga this morning - Don't Be Cruel: 2-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1 2. The Shadowheart series looks like fun ..."

I'll keep an eye out for Williams books when I visit the bookshop again. :)

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:32AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Just finished up All Systems Red. Loved it. Murderbot was hilarious.

ETA: and a streaming junkie, lol

Michelle Sedai ☆of the Brown Ajah☆ (michellekobus) | 122 comments Reading Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 9, then on to Black Butler, Vol. 23. Picked them both up at the bookstore yesterday where they had a buy one get one 50% off manga sale. This week's book budget didn't allow for more than two volumes, though, which makes me a little sad because I love manga but $9 to $13 a pop is a bit expensive in terms of how quickly one can read a single volume.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "Reading Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 9, then on to Black Butler, Vol. 23. Picked them both up at the bookstore yesterday where they had a buy one get one 50% off manga sale. This week's..."

I read Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 1 in March and I have to say that I was really impressed with both the art and the script. I'll have to indulge in the series this summer! And I plan to read Black Butler, Vol. 1 at some point soon, too. So much manga, so little time! :O

message 15: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2974 comments I've started The Watchmaker of Filigree Street. I'm not very far in, but I'm definitely curious as to where it's heading.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I started Flash Point because reasons. IDK

I'm also reading Astrophysics for People in a Hurry which is printed in an adorable little book.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela | 41 comments Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies and now diving into House of Chains as after reading Memories of Ice I didn't want to wait too long to read the next book in Malazan.

Michelle Sedai ☆of the Brown Ajah☆ (michellekobus) | 122 comments Finally finished A Crown of Swords!! Woot! I started Ghostlight, but it's very bland; it's supposed to be a ghost story, but I'm 29% in and it's just kids watching horror movies. I know it's MG, but come on, I've read so much better. :(

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 41 comments Finished Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions which I didn't really enjoy. Back onto House of Chains.

message 20: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "Finally finished A Crown of Swords!! Woot! I started Ghostlight, but it's very bland; it's supposed to be a ghost story, but I'm 29% in and it's just kids watching horr..."

It's a pity that Ghostlight is a slow-starter because I like the cover. Hopefully, it will get more interesting (and creepy)!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.