Start by marking “A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)

A Crown of Swords

(The Wheel of Time #7)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  118,284 ratings  ·  2,079 reviews
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
Mass Market Paperback, 880 pages
Published November 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published May 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Crown of Swords, please sign up.
Barbara Yes and no. You can't take it seriously like LotR or GoT. My top piece of advice, go in with LOW expectations, then you'll enjoy it! If you aren't…moreYes and no. You can't take it seriously like LotR or GoT. My top piece of advice, go in with LOW expectations, then you'll enjoy it! If you aren't enjoying it by Book 3 I say set it aside in favour of Erikson or Sanderson.

Here are things that will irritate you:

> lack of originality - especially in Book 1, it's easy to see how he took Frodo's journey and adapted to his world and his characters

> world-building was more important to Jordan than the narrative, which is always a red flag when reading fantasy.

> flat characters - who only develop some depth around book 4/5, and then only the male characters. When the develop as well, they develop implausibly, you've got three village boys who suddenly become king of the world, and army generals. You have two village girls who become top members of their magical order without any training because, well, they're just awesome that way. And a princess who doesn't give a rat's fart for her crown or country, but claims to.

> awful female characters - Jordan either hated women, adored them and never got any, or simply had zero understanding for women. All his female characters are the same as one another - arrogant, useless, petty and even physically abusive towards men, though he portrays this as completely acceptable and humorous.

> ENDLESS comparisons between men and women - you really need to prepare yourself for this one, there are going to be about 3 on every page of every book and there will be times when you just want to scream, "get over it!" It's jarring because all the characters think in these terms and so it's extremely clear that Jordan is speaking through his characters and portraying his own personality instead of letting his characters be unique individuals.

> Extensive description given to clothing and fondling clothing, to the point where a good 50-100 pages could have been cut out without losing anything really.

> Slow pace and extremely predictable plot. In fact, see it this way: In most fantasy there's the big, bad, dark lord. In Jordan, the big bad dark lord has 13 or so big, bad helpers. Each book is about destroying the next one of these, so basically it's a repeat plot in every book with a different play-out.

> No real sense of danger - no one ever dies except the baddies, so you don't ever really worry about your characters... the books really lack suspense for this reason.

> An obvious disdain for anything non-hetero - Jordan's entire magic system is built on the physical differences between men and women, which of course means the absolute non-existence of gay characters.

> A million and one extra pointless, useless characters. When reading, don't try to keep track of these people, think of it like hyper-realism in art. You really don't need to see the veins on every leaf on every tree that makes up the background of the painting. Jordan became obsessed with making his world seem real and forgot that too much detail actually detracts from works of art.

BUUUUUT,

> Jordan stages scenes really well, I find it easy to imagine the settings and action.
> Jordan is great with battle tactics, I really enjoy that stuff.
> Jordan is also really good at writing fight scenes, which is an art.
> The endings are always quite exciting and can be unpredictable (when they don't involve killing the big bad helpers)
> And he's also pretty good at portraying world politics

So, I'm still reading... At this point, I'm invested in seeing it through. Jordan is also so big in fantasy that if you want to be able to have a conversation with people about fantasy, you should know some things about WoT and Jordan.(less)

·  118,284 ratings  ·  2,079 reviews

Start your review of A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm loving them more as I go along 🖤
Em Lost In Books
When I read the prologue I thought this would be better than it's predecessor, after all it had such a great start but how wrong I was. What started as an amazing start soon turned into a slow bullock cart, picking speed only at occasions.

I think I have made peace with the women in this story. Nothing can change them (hoping against hope Sanderson did a better job when he wrote the final books). They will always make me angry, cringe, exasperated, and irritated with their antics, and I have to
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
One fact, though, turned up again and again in those tales. The Laurel Crown of Illian had been given a new name. The Crown of Swords.
And for some reason, men and women who told the tales often found a need to add almost identical words. The storm is coming, they said, staring southward in worry. The storm is coming.

Whooooooosh.

Thats just the sound of the plot development being blown out the window.

A Crown of Swords is the slowest Wheel of Time book so far, by a clear mile. If you think any of
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If someone ever wanted to make the case against men writing women, they would probably find Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" a treasure trove.* Perhaps the biggest problem in this series is Jordan's representation of women. Because they are so typically presented as "strong female characters," they lack depth and sometimes become, well, irritating.

Let's get right into it. There is a great deal of titillating temptation, haughty sniffing, and blushing modesty/ immodesty that I suspect many
Merphy Napier
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Here's my video review https://youtu.be/yg7vcxZ02r8
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy Buffs, Sanderson lovers
Month 7 means book 7 of the Wheel of Time series with the Hard Core Fantasy buffs at Buddies Books and Baubles

The Wheel of Time and I have an interesting relationship. Almost all of the characters totally infuriate me but I love the writing, cultures, world building and overall plots so even when in this book everything moves at a snails pace and almost nothing really happens plot wise Im still thoroughly entertained and enjoy most of the story. But seriously the plot is moving along like this.

description

Dana Ilie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm starting to love Nynaeve more and more.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Full review to come, but for now, one quick observation. Even though many Wheel of Time fans cite this book as when the series really starts to slow down, I actually enjoyed this one more than the last two books! I'm kind of surprised I liked this book more, when the two preceding ones tend to be very popular amongst most fans. Either I'm getting used to the slower pace, or maybe, I'm just not quite... normal?!?
(Nah, that can't be it!)

As always, here is my stacking of the Wheel of Time books,
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

My reviews of The Wheel of Time novels are getting just as repetitive as the actual books. There's really not much more to say. A Crown of Swords is another long slow installment in which there are too many detailed descriptions of clothing, references to spanking, concerns about bosoms, and people blushing. There are pages and pages which chronicle secondary characters' extensive internal thoughts. But what bugs me most, though, are the constant
John
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of comments about Jordan's epic which mention (or outright complain about) its pace and staging. As far as I'm concerned, its deliberate pace and intricate staging are pluses. It's not often that one finds such thoroughly realized visions of epic stories. This series is a genuine throw-back in story-telling style. Instead of going the route of non-stop, breathless action, Jordan spends a good deal of time taking his readers through the sometimes withering grind of day-to-day ...more
Terran
Jan 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Is there a rating below 1 star I can give?

I think this is about where I gave up on this bloody series. (And I only got this far because I was on a long road trip/camping trip, and I picked them up cheap at a used book store in Anchorage, IIRC.) But I have to admit that I can't tell them apart. I honestly have no idea what happened where after about book 1. Which is, in large part, why I gave up on this atrocious pile of overwritten, paid-by-the-word crap.

A friend of mine said, at the time, of
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Every person who has even a passing interest in fantasy knows The Wheel of Time series gets slow in the middle. So are we there yet? No, but things do slow down somewhat. Is it still a good read? Most definitely, yes!

The book starts with Perrin being a lovesick puppy for about one fourth of the book. Exciting events happen around him which is no wonder considering what happened in the end of the previous book and the fact that this one starts right where the former left, but Perrin's POV makes
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another enjoyable instalment in Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series. Anyone who has reached this stage of the series knows exactly what to expect from Jordan's writing and the story. The guy is an excellent storyteller and it is easy to get caught up in the stories of the various characters we have grown to like in the earlier books.

Not that it was a book without flaws. I did enjoy reading this one but it is fair to say that in terms of overall plot advancement very little
Igor Ljubuncic
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is where it all went downhill.

I think it was our friend William "Bill" Shakespeare who wrote a play called "Much Ado About Nothing" but he might as well called it A Crown of Swords or the subsequent three or four books before the series' eventual redemption by Brandon Sanderson.

Anyhow, I really don't remember much what happened. I do remember that a lot did not happen. And there were a million descriptions of dresses and how women like to stand akimbo and such, and it was all real time.

If
The more I think about this book the more annoyed I am so I'm dropping my rating from 3 to 2 stars. That's purely because of Tylin, it would probably have been much higher without her!

I've fallen so far behind our group buddy read of this series thanks to this book. I read it back in
July and I've spent the last couple of months trying to pretend it never existed. I was so in love with this series, yes there were problems with it but I was still completely hooked on the story and eager to find
JAIME
Well, well. This one was quick. Some shit went down that I both loved and hated (view spoiler) and some shit that I'm not sure about. (view spoiler)

But really. I'm just all about Mat. Edgware had a
Kaora
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing happens until the last 10% as usual.
Tea
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
It is often difficult to reconcile how much I love the adventure of this series with the blatant sexism that pervades nearly every chapter involving a woman interacting with a man. In the first four books, it wasn't as much of an issue, because I saw it mostly as an in-world problem rather than something inherently problematic with Jordan's perspective that was interfering with his ability to tell a good and believable story. This changed in book five, where the ridiculousness exploded to such ...more
Antonio
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So the book seven is over. 7 which is the lucky number, this is ironic because apparently the luck of someone finally came to an end

Full review to come.
Re-Read Groups :

Not a book club

Buddies,Books & Baubles

--------------------------

I am going to repeat myself in this review due to the fact that I am really enjoying this series in audio rather than on paper. The credit of which must be given to the narrators of these audio books who are Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. I especially like how they are able to enact so many different characters in this book.

In this book we have major pov's from Mat &
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Another reread done & dusted at BBB as we reach the halfway mark in this truly epic series. This one was slow. But still oh so good. Robert Jordan clearly had a talent for storytelling. I know there are people who HATE these middle books, but I am still enjoying them immensely and cannot find much fault.

Right. Spoiler filled remark time.

(view spoiler)
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

The reason it has taken me long time to finish this book is because I haven't gotten enough time to read it.

I love the writing, cultures and world-building.

I love this book a lot. Alhamdulillah.
Rob
Executive Summary: This is another book I enjoyed more the second time around. It's still not as strong as the early or later books in this series, but it was better than I remembered.

Audiobook: Another fantastic job by Micheal Kramer and Kate Reading. Both are great as usual and add that little something extra to the book with their narration.

Full Review
The middle books of this series are slow. We get a lot of unnecessary subplots and meandering (not to mention braid tugging and skirt
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late...

It's really really hard to summarize a book like this due to its length and how far along it is in the series. Much like the previous book in the series, not a lot of action takes place until the last two hundred pages. There are countless conversations. Much travel. More characters are introduced. Loyalties tested. Friendships called
Maria Dimitrova

I'm finally past the midpoint of this series. And I can't be more excited!

This time around I enjoyed Mat's POV best. From the character I most wanted to strangle he has become one of my favourites. I was warned that it would happen but he was so unbelievably stupid, selfish and annoying for most of the books so far that I couldn't see that happening. But he has grown a lot and is now someone that I not only like but also respect. And feel a bit sorry for. There was a situation when he was (view
seak
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-deck, 2018
Of course there will be spoilers for the previous books, just a heads up for ya there.

This marks the halfway point in the Wheel of Time. I've finally made it ... halfway. It's no mean feat, so I'll take what I can get. This review may seem like a huge nitpick, and that would be right, so I don't know why I used the term "seem," but having said that, I really do love this series and I think I'm learning to enjoy the journey and the world instead of plot progression. It's really an amazing world
YouKneeK
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Crown of Swords is the seventh book in The Wheel of Time. Im not sure if Ive reached the dreaded middle books that many people found to be tedious, but Im still not bored myself. On the other hand, I can see where people might have lost patience with this book because some plot threads seemed to be at a standstill for most of it. I still felt like the story continued to move forward, though, and there were interesting things that happened.

However, Im usually pretty content to read lengthy
Matt Brady
This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time so therell be spoilers for the whole series, both books before this and maybe books after it, ahead.

So I needed a bit of a break after Lord of Chaos turned out to be more disappointing and boring than I had remembered. I'm not the kind of guy who can tear through a big series, reading each book back to back, anyway - I get antsy if I read two books by the same author back to back, even - and that is doubly true for something as massive and,
Arminion
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kaitlin
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another one down!

Okay, so this is book number 7 in the WoT series. It picks up straight after the ending of book 6 but that ends on a big high for the whole series and that is hard to beat. I don't think that this instalment could really top book 6 being shorter and slower as it was, but there are still some highly interesting new developments in this book.

The first thing I noticed was that in this story Elayne and Nynaeve really take centre stage on their mission whilst Mat also features

• Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)