Dare to Dream discussion

Seasonal Reading Challenges > SUMMER2017READINGCHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Please post any questions/updates/comments about the summer 2017 challenge in this thread. :D

The Summer 2017 Reading Challenge will start June 7 and end August 31, 2017.

Rules of the challenge:

Read 3 books (or more)
Complete 3 tasks (or more)
Books can be any genre
Re-reads are okay

So this summer, complete 3 (or more) of the following tasks:

1. June is Adopt a Shelter Cat Month.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK WITH THE WORD "CAT" IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

2. June is also Cataract Awareness Month.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK WITH THE LETTERS E-Y-E IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE (these letters do not have to be in order).

or

READ A BOOK WITH AN EYE ON THE COVER (please note the eye(s) must be the focal point of the cover-please post the cover).

3. Many talented authors celebrate their birthdays in the summer.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK BY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING WRITERS:

A. Patrick Rothfuss- June 6th
B. Tess Gerritsen- June 12th
C. Sarah Waters- July 21st
D. Isabel Allende- August 2nd
E. Chris Bohjalian- August 12th

4. The movie The Hangover was released in June of 2009. If you haven't seen it, it's about a group of friends who lose the groom during a bachelor party. They have to find him before the wedding and find themselves in one hilarious mess after another.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER GETTING MARRIED.

or

READ A BOOK IN WHICH A GROUP OF FRIENDS COME TOGETHER TO DEAL WITH A MESS OR PROBLEM OF SOME KIND.

5. So there is a "holiday" to celebrate just about every type of food. Fried chicken is celebrated on July 6th and waffles are celebrated on August 24th. As delicious as those foods are separately they're supposed to be even better when paired together. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good. Can you tell I'm hungry?!

Anyway, this summer:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A DYNAMIC DUO (think Sherlock & Watson, etc.).

or

READ A BOOK CO-WRITTEN BY 2 AUTHORS.

6. Spider-Man day is August 1st.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES AN ORPHAN.

or

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER NAMED PETER OR IS WRITTEN BY AN AUTHOR NAMED PETER.

7. Random task- This task counts towards the challenge but is not inspired by the season.

Sadly, Bill Paxton, a talented actor, died this year so I made up some book tasks inspired by a few of his many movies.

Weird Science- READ A BOOK PUBLISHED IN 1985.

Twister- READ A BOOK IN WHICH A STORM/NATURAL DISASTER IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE STORY.

Frailty-READ A BOOK IN WHICH THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A WIDOW/WIDOWER.

A Simple Plan- READ THE BOOK THAT THE MOVIE IS BASED ON.

HAPPY SUMMER, EVERYONE! :D

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2478 comments Mod
Thank you Rachel :-)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments Thank you!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments You're welcome :)

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I think I will do much better with this challenge. The Spring Challenge didn't work very well for me.

FYI: Koontz Fans - The newest Dean Koontz Novel, THE SILENT CORNER will be released on June 20th. This book will meet the Random Task of the Summer Reading Challenge because Jane Hawk, the main character, is a widow.

Also, I have been given an advanced copy of Tess Gerritsen's newest book that will be released in August, I KNOW A SECRET :-) so I'll be using that for Task #3.

The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz I Know A Secret (Rizzoli & Isles, #12) by Tess Gerritsen

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments thanks Rachel

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I won The Silent Cornet so that will start my Summer challenge off to a good start!!

message 8: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

The challenge doesn't start until the 7th, so you'll have to wait to start The Silent Corner until then ha ha. I plan to be finished with The Silent Corner by the 7th :-)

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Dustin your an over achiever Lol, I have to finish up a book until I start that anyway.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I think I will do much better with this challenge. The Spring Challenge didn't work very well for me.

FYI: Koontz Fans - The newest Dean Koontz Novel, THE SILENT CORNER will be released on June 20..."

Thanks for the update, Dustin!
P.S. I actually added Frailty as one of the options for the random task because I knew I could make it work for Dean's new release. :)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Jenn wrote: "thanks Rachel"

you're welcome :)

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Jenn wrote: "I won The Silent Cornet so that will start my Summer challenge off to a good start!!"

Congrats on winning the book giveaway, Jenn! :D

message 13: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Thanks for another great challenge! I will be a late participant. Truck still not fixed and leaving for NE on Saturday, gone for a week, and still need to finish 2 books. With my reading buddies in spirit!

Happy Summer!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Thanks for another great challenge! I will be a late participant. Truck still not fixed and leaving for NE on Saturday, gone for a week, and still need to finish 2 books. With my reading buddies in..."

You're welcome! :)
Enjoy your vacation. :)

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments I can't believe I didn't set up my challenge until today. I figured out my goal and what I was going to read days ago. Another part of the challenge for me this summer is to read only books I already own. I'm running out of room, lol. There really is no such thing as too many books but there is such a thing as not enough places for books, lol.

Happy summer everyone!

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Here is a book I plan to re-read for task #6. I've used it before for one of these reading challenges and I remember enjoying the book so much I want to revisit it. The author is named Pete Nelson :-)
I Thought You Were Dead
I Thought You Were Dead by Pete Nelson

This book also works for Task #2 with E-Y-E in the title.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "I can't believe I didn't set up my challenge until today. I figured out my goal and what I was going to read days ago. Another part of the challenge for me this summer is to read only books I alrea..."

The good thing about reading books you own is that you can donate them when you're done and have room for new books. :)
Happy Summer! :)

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Here is a book I plan to re-read for task #6. I've used it before for one of these reading challenges and I remember enjoying the book so much I want to revisit it. The author is named Pete Nelson ..."

Thanks for the updates, Dustin! :)
I actually remember you reading that title-hope it's just as enjoyable when you re-read it. :)

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I will be join the summer challenge but for some reason I can only post here, I need to get a new charger for laptop so I can post covers

message 21: by Rachel (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:28AM) (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Jenn wrote: "I will be join the summer challenge but for some reason I can only post here, I need to get a new charger for laptop so I can post covers"

No problem-welcome to the challenge, Jenn! :)

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments finished The Guests on South Batteryve The Guests on South Battery (Tradd Street, #5) by Karen White for the e-y-e task.

Unfortunately this book was not half as good as the others in the series-the characters were annoying for some reason in this latest book and the mystery was weak.

On the upside, Charleston is like a character in these books which makes them atmospheric-I would love to visit the city someday-sounds beautiful.
Also there was a creepy doll in the story and I hate dolls as much as I hate clowns lol.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments What is everyone's favorite book of the year so far? (doesn't have to be a new release)

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I love creepy dolls :-)

message 25: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz is pretty good :-)
I'm currently reading Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #0.5) by Ransom Riggs Picked it up at the library.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I love creepy dolls :-)"

You're braver than I am lol
Do you love clowns?

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz is pretty good :-)
I'm currently reading Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #0.5) by Ransom Riggs Picked it up at the library."

Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Hope you like your current book-look forward to your comments. :)

message 28: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I think clowns are fun :-)

message 29: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm really enjoying reading Tales of the Peculiar. I am able to find myself in the stories.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments Rachel wrote: "What is everyone's favorite book of the year so far? (doesn't have to be a new release)"

Hey Everyone! How's your summer so far? Its finally arrived in the northwest. Temps are supposed to get into the 90s by the weekend. I'm not overly happy about that but at least the sun will be shining.

My favorite for the year so far is News of the World I listened to it and just loved the story and the narration. I highly recommend it.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I think clowns are fun :-)"

:O

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm really enjoying reading Tales of the Peculiar. I am able to find myself in the stories."

I haven't read a Peculiar book in a while-may have to
check it out. :)
I also still have to read the last book in the trilogy.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "Rachel wrote: "What is everyone's favorite book of the year so far? (doesn't have to be a new release)"

Hey Everyone! How's your summer so far? Its finally arrived in the northwest. Temps are supp..."

Thanks for the recommendation, Christine! :)

We've had quite a bit of rain but thankfully there have been some sunny days in between.

message 34: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'd be having a better Summer if I had my scooter back :-( My Harley has been in the shop for over two months and I'm getting real tired of taking the bus.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'd be having a better Summer if I had my scooter back :-( My Harley has been in the shop for over two months and I'm getting real tired of taking the bus."

Why is it taking them so long to fix it? Hope you get it back soon-taking the bus is a pain in the ass.

How are the new hedgehogs doing?

message 36: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I might have to get a new scooter :-( Apparently I ride my scooter too much for what it's meant to do. I may have to upgrade and get a motorcycle license.

The hedgehogs are doing well. Their different personalities are very fun. I keep live worms in my fridge now & I feed small nocturnal animals the worms at night :-)

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments So one of the items for our challenge is a book with a storm or natural disaster. Does an invasion of spiders fit as "natural" disaster?Just finished Skitter, book 2 in the Hatching trilogy. Its a good one if you like horror.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "So one of the items for our challenge is a book with a storm or natural disaster. Does an invasion of spiders fit as "natural" disaster?Just finished Skitter, book 2 in the Hatching..."

Well spiders are part of nature and an invasion of them would be a disaster so I say count it. :)

message 39: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments I finished The Silent Corner and loved it. Tomorrow is last day of work till July 20th!!
Happy Summer and Happy Reading!

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Jenn wrote: "I finished The Silent Corner and loved it. Tomorrow is last day of work till July 20th!!
Happy Summer and Happy Reading!"

Thanks for the update, Jenn! Enjoy your vacation. :)

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments Jenn wrote: "I finished The Silent Corner and loved it. Tomorrow is last day of work till July 20th!!
Happy Summer and Happy Reading!"

Have a great vacation, Jenn. I hope you get a lot of reading done.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND, EVERYONE! :D

Have fun & stay safe. :)

message 43: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Everyone is saying Happy Fourth of July and I'm like I've got to work on Monday! :-)

message 44: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Hope everyone will be safe celebrating Independence Day!! I haven't been able to participate yet in the challenge. Finally got my truck back, went on vacation, then hurt my arm at work, so I currently am not listening to any audio books. Been riding along with a new driver who moved here from Florida. I did however finish a book I have been reading for a while now.

Dustin, I feel your pain on Monday. I'll be riding along.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Everyone is saying Happy Fourth of July and I'm like I've got to work on Monday! :-)"

well that's no fun-hope you still enjoyed your weekend. :)

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Hope everyone will be safe celebrating Independence Day!! I haven't been able to participate yet in the challenge. Finally got my truck back, went on vacation, then hurt my arm at work, so I curren..."

Hope you enjoyed your vacation and that your arm heals quickly. :)

message 47: by Christine (new)

Christine | 727 comments Hey Everyone! Its been pretty quiet around here. I hope we are all enjoying our summer and reading a lot of good books. I am for sure.

I just finished Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart

Its an entertaining book with a minor character named Peter.

message 48: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Happy to hear you are reading good books for the challenge Christine!! Hopefully the rest of our friends are doing likewise!!

Not sure I will be able to do this challenge. Due to not being able to drive, professionally, I had to return the 4 audios I got from the library. I have been riding along with two new employees, but thought they wouldn't appreciate listening to audios while driving. I did however pick up a book and brought it with me while riding along, unfortunately it won't work for the challenge.

Hope everyone's Summer is going great!!!

message 49: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Task #4 A group of friends come together to deal with a mess or problem.
I'm currently finishing Hollow City Book Two in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Series.
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "Hey Everyone! Its been pretty quiet around here. I hope we are all enjoying our summer and reading a lot of good books. I am for sure.

I just finished Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart

It..."

Thanks for the update, Christine! :)

« previous 1 3