The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.3 - Diane Whitney's Task: First Time for Everything

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
25.3 - Diane Whitney's Task: First Time for Everything

I have been participating in the Seasonal Reading Challenge since the Winter 2011/12 Challenge and for the first time, I’ve finally completed it! Yeah Me! This task is based on that accomplishment.

This is a 1 OR 2 book task.

1 Book - Read one book that fulfills all the requirements for two different options and is at least 500 pages in length.
OR
2 Books - Choose two different options and read one book for each, books must have a combined total of at least 500 pages.

No book with the genre "Children's" or "Kid's" on the book's GoodReads main page may be used for this task.
The Total Number of pages read for this task MUST be at least 500 pages.

REQUIRED: State which options you chose

Option 1 - Read a debut book or the first book published by an author who is New-To-You. If it isn’t clear in the GoodReads metadata, on the book’s main page or author page, that it is the author’s first published or debut book, please provide a reference link.
Required: Include in your post that the author is New-To-You.

Option 2 - Read the first book in a New-To-You series. The book must be identified as #1 in the GoodReads metadata, “Title” (Series Name, #1).
Required: Include in your post that the series is New-To-You.

Option 3 - Read a book that fulfills the task requirements for my favorite task from the first time I participated in SRC. A “Big Shout Out” to its creator - Chris MD!

From Winter Challenge 2011/12:
Best Review - Chris MD's task: Words Among Friends (revised)
When I'm not reading (or trying to earn a living), I love to play word games like Scrabble, Lexulous, and Words with Friends. So for this task, we're going to combine my two favorite things.

Read a book that has at least four words in the title/subtitle. You must be able to take the first letter from each word and use those letters to anagram a word that is at least four letters long. Hyphenated words may be used as separate words. You do NOT have to use all the letters. The anagram word does NOT need to appear in the title. Here are some examples:
A Game of Thrones ---- A G O T = GOAT
Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives ---- S L O H A W = WASH, SLOW, LASH, SHOAL, SHAWL, or HOWLS
How to Be an American Housewife = H T B A A H = BATH

Required: Post your anagram when claiming points.
If you're not sure of your word, you can check it against the official Scrabble word lists posted at http://www.scrabble.com/. You may use either the North American or International lists. If it's not an obvious word, please state which list you found it on.

message 2: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 15, 2017 12:47PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Approved-

1 Book
Options 1&2 (Provided both Author & Series are New-To-You)-
Killing Floor by Lee Child

Options 1&3 (Provided Author is New-To-You)-

Options 2&3 (Provided Series is New-To-You)-
The Name of the Wind (T N O T W = town)
A Taste Of Blood Wine (A T O B W = boat)
The Lost Army Of Cambyses (T L A O C = alto, clot, coal, coat, cola, colt, taco, talc)

message 3: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Reserved-

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Chris (last edited Jun 01, 2017 02:00PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 905 comments Glad you enjoyed it. It was a fun one. Congratulations on finishing. You've designed a fun task!
Chris MD

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Nice task - I remember that challenge ;)

message 7: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments How fun! I found a one book option on my TBR list.
Opt 1: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was her debut book and she is a new to me author and it fulfills
Opt 3 - E-I-N-T-Y can spell tine, tiny or yeti

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

fits options 2 & 3 for me for the One Book Option. My anagram word is TOWN.

message 9: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments KSMary wrote: "How fun! I found a one book option on my TBR list.
Opt 1: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was her debut book and she is a new to me author and it fulfills
..."

Unfortunately, Everything I Never Told You only has 304 pages, so it will not fulfill the one book requirement of at least 500 pages.
But, it does work for either option, if you choose to read 2 books.

message 10: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Bea wrote: "The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

fits options 2 & 3 for me for the One Book Option. My anagram word is TOWN."

That works.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Bea wrote: "The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

See Bea - this means you have to join us for buddy read!!

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Dee wrote: "Bea wrote: "The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

See Bea - this means you have to jo..."

HeHeHe!

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments As far as I can determine, Killing Floor is Lee Child's debut novel. Can I get this confirmed that it would work for Options 1 and 2? (new to me author/series).

Wikipedia refers to it as his first novel, and the author bio on Goodreads implies it, but just says it's his first "Jack Reacher" novel.

message 14: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Boston Kate wrote: "As far as I can determine, Killing Floor is Lee Child's debut novel. Can I get this confirmed that it would work for Options 1 and 2? (new to me author/series).

Wikipedi..."

The link provides reference of first published novel and it's first in the series, so it works. Enjoy!

message 15: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "KSMary wrote: "How fun! I found a one book option on my TBR list.
Opt 1: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was her debut book and she is a new to me author a..."

Thanks for catching that. I'll keep looking or find 2 books.

message 16: by Trish (last edited Jun 01, 2017 11:31PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Thanks. This looks like it could be the perfect task for fitting one of the Hugo nominees to: Leviathan Wakes.

I've not read the author before and this seems to be his first book as far as I can tell from the GR dates (author link is here https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...), it's #1 in a series, and it's 561pg. I think that means it works for the one-book option?

message 17: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 02, 2017 09:40AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Trish wrote: "Thanks. This looks like it could be the perfect task for fitting one of the Hugo nominees to: Leviathan Wakes.

I've not read the author before and this seems to be his first book a..."

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey is a pen name for the collaborative works of two authors, one is Daniel Abraham
Unfortunately, this is not his first published book.

message 18: by Trish (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:20AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey is a pen name for the collaborative works of two authors, one is Daniel Abraham. Unfortunately, this is not his first published book.."

Rats. I hadn't even spotted that. Never mind - just as well you spotted that BEFORE I tried to do the task! :-)

message 19: by Candy (new)

Candy | 152 comments Option 2: A Taste Of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington

Option 3: Boat

message 20: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Candy wrote: "Option 2: A Taste Of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington

Option 3: Boat"

That works, enjoy!

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments For the 1 book option wanted to check if The Lost Army Of Cambyses would work?

Fulfills:
option #2 - first book in new to me series
option #3 - TLAOC - COAT, TALC, COAL, COLT

And it has 592 pages

message 22: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Sandra wrote: "For the 1 book option wanted to check if The Lost Army Of Cambyses would work?

Fulfills:
option #2 - first book in new to me series
option #3 - TLAOC - COAT, TALC, COAL, COLT

And i..."

That works, enjoy!

message 23: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments To make sure I understand: for this book (by a new-to-me author), Option #3

Caught in the Revolution: Petrograd, Russia, 1917 – A World on the Edge

Letters I can use for the anagram:

C I T R P R A W O T E

Words included:

write, price, power

message 24: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 22, 2017 07:16PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Deedee wrote: "To make sure I understand: for this book (by a new-to-me author), Option #3

Caught in the Revolution: Petrograd, Russia, 1917 – A World on the Edge

Letters I can use for the anag..."

Yes, Caught in the Revolution: Petrograd, Russia, 1917 – A World on the Edge works for Option #3. The book (series or author) for this option is NOT required to be new-to-you.
Title letters - C I T R
Subtitle letters - P R A W O T E
Be sure to post your anagram.

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1623 comments For option 3, if a book title has "&" on the cover but the GR page uses "and" can the A from "and" be used in the anagram?

The Rules of Love and Grammar by Mary Simses The Rules of Love and Grammar

message 26: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments This task does not require posting a book cover link. SRC rules require you to link to edition of the book you read. This task requires you to "take the first letter from each word and use those letters to anagram a word." An &, it's not a word, it's a symbol.

So, if you read this edition The Rules of Love & Grammar, there would NOT be an A included in your anagram.
But, if you read this edition The Rules of Love and Grammar, there would be.

message 27: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments In Option #2, New-To-You series, can that be written by an author that is NOT new-to-me? Thanks

message 28: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Deedee wrote: "In Option #2, New-To-You series, can that be written by an author that is NOT new-to-me? Thanks"

Yes, only the series has to be new-to-you, to fulfill Option #2