Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 archive > June Challenge – I finished!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited May 31, 2017 08:03AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This thread is to mark your completion of the June challenge for the prompt: "a book involving travel." You can join in with the group read of The Woman in Cabin 10 or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination?
Would you recommend:

No other posts in this thread please!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Heaney | 193 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
Author: Ruth Ware
Travel destination: Norway, with the majority of the story set on a cruise ship. I would travel to Norway and see The Northern Lights, but I did not learn about the destination much in the book as wasn't the main topic of the murder mystery.
Would you recommend: Yes

message 3: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 40 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Norway; I've been there a couple of years ago, but in the southern part of the country (Oslo, Bergen, etc.), and not on a cruise. I'd like to see the Northern Lights though.
Would you recommend: I found the book just ok but it was an engaging and fast read, so I guess I would recommend it.

message 4: by Nerdy Panda (new)

Nerdy Panda (twobrokegirlswithbooks) (_readingpanda_) | 48 comments Title: Sisters
Author: Raina Telgemeier
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Colorado. I didn't really have a desire to travel there before or after I read the book.
Would you recommend: Absolutely

message 5: by AF (new)

AF | 320 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Norway.
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Not on a small cruise ship with entitled rich people. Ha! But honestly, the book didn't focus on Norway or any traveling. It was more about the main character's attempt to figure out what was going on aboard the ship.
Would you recommend: I loved this book. Very suspenseful. I would definitely recommend this book.

message 6: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments I read:Os filhos de Caim e Portugal : povos e migrações no II milénio a. C.,O Senhor Ventura, and I think that all the books I read, so far involves travels!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 462 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? - Norway. As noted, this doesn't touch on the destination much. But I feel like it will evoke some vaguely uneasy feelings of claustrophobia the next time I'm belowdecks on a cruise!
Would you recommend: Yes - it's pretty fluffy and easy to figure out the central mystery, but it was compelling and a fast read. I enjoyed it!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harper | 10 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Scandanavia. After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Nope
Would you recommend: No. I didn't care about these people. I wouldn't inflict them on anyone.

message 9: by Gurleen (new)

Gurleen | 8 comments Title : Women in Cabin 10
Author : Ruth Ware
Destination : Norway
Would I travel there: it didn't say much about Norway. It was more about the journey, destination didn't matter. But I would like to see Northern lights some day.
Recommend : Sure.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10

What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? I would love to go back on a cruise! But she didn't talk much about the destinations to entice me to go to Norway

Would you recommend: Yes

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Norway
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? I've always wanted to go to Norway - a cruise of the fjords and northern lights would be amazing!
Would you recommend: Probably not. It was alright but I ended up skim-reading a lot and mostly reading the dialogue.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb | 45 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? This book didn't inspire me to travel there.
Would you recommend: Maybe. I've heard it compared to The Girl on the Train. Maybe if you enjoy that type of character.

message 13: by Ninna (new)

Ninna | 20 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Yes! I've never been but would love to see Oslo and cruise the fjords and see the Northern Lights. Wow!
Would you recommend: Yes, it wasn't my most favorite thriller or anything but it was an entertaining, fun read.

Thegirlintheafternoon Title: A Walk in the Woods
Author: Bill Bryson
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? The Appalachian Trail
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? I do! I lived near the foothills for a long time, but my family spent vacations at the beach, so we never explored.
Would you recommend: I would, with the caveat that the author makes a lot of fat and sissy jokes and says some borderline ableist stuff - none of which I'd seen mentioned in reviews of the book.

message 15: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 349 comments Title: At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
Author: Tsh Oxenreider
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? They went around the world with their 3 kids over the course of a year. Of the places they visited, the ones that she sold me on are New Zealand, Hong Kong, Croatia, and London.
Would I recommend: yes, to anyone who likes travel books.

message 16: by Charlsa (last edited Jun 11, 2017 05:43PM) (new)

Charlsa (cjbookjunkie) | 193 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
Destination: Norway
After reading this book, do I want to travel to Norway? - No.
Would I recommend this book: Absolutely a no.

I have finished the book, but I question why I bothered. Like some others of you, I hoped it would take a turn for the better. Sadly, it did not.

I disliked this book in every possible way. The lead character was completely unlikeable. She was selfish, ruin, and at times crass. Her boyfriend was a decent character, but the author never developed his character or their relationship to a point where you could understand their relationship.

The storyline was anemic, uninteresting, and unrealistic. The plot was weak. The other characters were poorly developed.

I realize that we have different interests in genre, writing style, etc., so will have varying opinions on nearly any book. However, I honestly can't imagine why anyone would enjoy this book. I disliked it so much that I won't read anything else written by this author.

I read this book for the sake of reading the June selection with the group, but I don't believe this book merits being in this prompt to read a book involving travel. It wasn't about traveling to a specific place or the traveler's observations or perspectives during the journey. It was simply a book where the lead character happened to be on a ship to Norway. I'll count it for the prompt for now, but I think I'm going to read Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World, and use it for the prompt, then slot The Woman in Cabin 10 to a non-challenge read.

message 17: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Roberts | 18 comments Title: Notes from a Small Island
Author:Bill Bryson
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Britain
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? I'm from Britain so I'm familiar with a lot of the territory. I would like to do more traveling around Britain, but he hasn't sold it to me.
Would you recommend: It's not his funniest work and I don't feel like he actually covered much of Britain. I thought it would feel a bit dated because it was written in the 90s, but not a great deal seems to have changed. It's a nice light read.

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1661 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Norway Cruise
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Absolutely but not on such a luxury cruise.
Would you recommend: Yes. Author manipulates a number of classic mystery and thriller techniques [i.e. 'locked room'] into modern versions of them. Enjoyable read building on the author's promise from her first mystery.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Norway. yes, I would like to travel to Norway. The focus was on the mystery on board the cruise ship but the fjords were mentioned and all the cabins were named after Norwegian authors so it did make me want to visit.
Would you recommend: Yes, definitely. It was a good suspense novel.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments I actually finished the book about travel prompt earlier this year, when I read The Underground Railroad as part of a Book of the Month. I read this book for the PopSugar Summer 2016 challenge instead, but it still applies here since it fits this month's theme.

Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? They were on a cruise to Norway. I am not interested in being on a cruise at all (even before reading this book), but Norway could be a pretty interesting place to visit.
Would you recommend: Yes, although it's not my favourite of this genre.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 40 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Norwegian cruise. Yes, I love cruises and I've always wanted to go to Norway. This book did not sway my opinions.
Would you recommend: Sure

message 22: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) Title: Orphan Train
Author: Christina Baker Kline
What was the travel destination in your chosen book? Midwest America (Minnesota etc.)
After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? I'd love to take a long train journey, although maybe not one similar to the one Vivian took, and probably not to Minnesota (though I wouldn't say no if the opportunity arose.)
Would you recommend: It was an okay read, but not super awesome.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was the travel destination in your chosen book?After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Traveling around the Norwegian Fjords. I would definitely be interested in traveling there! I looked up pictures to get a better idea and the scenery is stunning!
Would you recommend: Yes, it was full of suspense and dark imagery. I enjoyed it.

message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10

What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? Norway. I would love to go there someday, but not because I read this.

Would you recommend: No.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue | 25 comments Title: A Lizard In My Luggage: Mayfair To Mallorca In One Easy Move

Author: Anna Nicholas

What was the travel destination in your chosen book? After reading, do you want to travel to that destination? The author moved from London to Mallorca and travels between the two for work. I've been to London (love it!) but after reading this I want to move to a small town in Mallorca. So full of character.

Would you recommend: Absolutely! The characters are vivid and fun, the setting is spectacular, and the read is delightful.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.