Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > FBR What are you reading June 17

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I'll wait to reply since I'm hoping to finish two books before the end of the month.

message 2: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Didn't really have a good month in terms of reading only 2 books but this month but I'll be joining in a couple of buddy reads this month:

Dragon prince
Malice
Red Knight

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan This month, I'm reading:

The Prince of Thorns
The Alchemists of Loom

As well as the Dagger & the Coin series - on book 3 now, anxiously awaiting the delivery so I can get back into it

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Dan wrote: " The Prince of Thorns
The Alchemists of Loom

As well as the Dagger & the Coin series - on book 3 now, anxiously awaiting the delivery so I..."

D&C is an awesome series.

I might be up for King and Emperor of Thorns in July and August if you're up for it.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Scott wrote: I might be up for King and Emperor of Thorns in July and August if you're up for it.

Hey Scott! I'm definitely up for continuing the series, but my buddy read calendar is filled up for a while. Would you be up for starting in September? If that's too late, no worries :)

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Let's see what happens. I may try to squeak it in but if I don't we could do Sept and Oct for the remaining novels.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan Sounds good to me

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 30, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

Finish from May:

Forge of Darkness

Group reads:

Kings of the Wyld 6/5
The Price of Spring 6/15
Too Like the Lightning 6/19 *Provided my library wait comes up in time.
Tyrant's Throne 6/22 *Provided my library wait comes up in time.
Fall of Light 6/24

Also:
Origins
Reign of Iron
A Feast for Crows (re-read)

Maybe's:
The Paradox
Calamity
A Shattered Empire
A Dance with Dragons

message 11: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2938 comments I think I will pause the Divine Cities at #2 (yet another unfinished series) and go onto Malice and the lot.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments I'm planning to do Malice & The Crimson Campaign with these buddies here.

June is by far my busiest month at work and I have to do online classes too. But time permitting, I'd love to read Kings of the Wyld too.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7509 comments Mod
This month will be a Tackling the TBR catchup for me:

Finishing:
The Legion of Flame - Anthony Ryan
The Fiercest Joy - Shana Abe
A Gathering of Shadows - V.E. Schwab

June Titles:
Starflight - Melissa Landers
The Operator - Kim Harrison
Rise of Empire - Michael J. Sullivan
Naamah's Curse - Jacqueline Carey
Princeps' Fury - Jim Butcher
The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince - Robin Hobb
The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett
The Demon Spirit - R. A. Salvatore
Flame in the Mist - Renee Ahdieh

Should be fun. :)

message 14: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "This month will be a Tackling the TBR catchup for me:

Finishing:
[book:A Gathering of Shadows|207648..."

Some really good titles for June seems like a very productive month I haven't really heard of a lot of those titles but I hope you enjoy Rise of Empire as much as I did and I hope to hear good things for Codex Alera and Demon cycle still need to finish those series anyway good luck with that and to everyone else's

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Ahdam wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "This month will be a Tackling the TBR catchup for me:

Finishing:
[book:A Gatheri..."

Some great titles for sure! I'm really excited for Rise of Empire, and Codex Alera is quickly becoming a favorite. Good luck on your reads as well! I remember liking Dragon Prince, but it was so long ago I can recall precisely nothing about it haha. I might join the Malice read too if I have time. :)

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited May 30, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Angela | 3580 comments Mod
This month's plan is:

Finish Red Seas Under Red Skies

Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions - Fantasy Buddy Read
Malice - Fantasy Buddy Read
House of Chains - Fantasy Buddy Read
Mercy Falls - 2-3-4 Series Read
Where the Dead Lie - 2-3-4 Get up to date
The Anatomist's Wife - SWBC Series Read
The Seeker - Bingo Challenge

No doubt once I start House of Chains it's going to push a couple of these books back.

message 17: by Rob (last edited Jun 01, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1934 comments Currently reading - [[book:Assail|18490649] - Finishing up the Malazan Empire series!
Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy

And I'm rereading, aloud to my kids on a nightly basis :) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

message 18: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1934 comments A whole load of books that I'd really like to read this month:

Dragon Prince (and possibly the sequels)
Kings of the Wyld
The Price of Spring
Malice
Shaman's Crossing
The Red Knight

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Unfortunately, I'm still trying to finish two May reads (The Autumn Republic and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag ).
Still, for June I'm aiming to read:
The Tropic of Serpents
Ready Player One
Malice (buddy read)
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
grace

message 20: by John (last edited Jun 04, 2017 05:49AM) (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Finishing up (after 2 months)
The Dragonbone Chair
The Way of Kings
mayybe a Brad Thor thriller before Darek's The Eye of the World starts in July

message 21: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Legend BR
The Last English King

Finished The Last King: Rome's Greatest Enemy ! Great book btw ;)

Hope to start rereading The King Beyond the Gate in the next day or so and then finishMalice .....had to return it to the library before I was finished !
Who can read Malice in just 8 days??
Only had an 8 day loan on it for goodness sake.
How can one read Malice in 8 days and work or eat....or do anything else? lol

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Emelia wrote: "Who can read Malice in just 8 days??
Only had an 8 day loan on it for goodness sake.
How can one read Malice in 8 days and work or eat....or do anything else?."

That's all your library give you? One of mine does 14 and the other 15 and sometimes that's too short. I can't imagine bothering to check out books from Malazan or ASOIAF which are all 300k+ words. I'm about to check out A Dance with Dragons on audio and that's 49 hours long if you listen at 1X speed. Unless you're parked on a beach for a week listening while you fry in the sun I can't see anybody ever doing it in 8 days. To do it in 14 days I'll be listening at 1.75X which is still 28 hours or 2 hours per day.

message 23: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Our library has a 21 day lending period!!

message 24: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Scott wrote: "That's all your library give you? One of mine does 14 and the other 15 and sometimes that's too short. I can't imagine bothering to check out books from Malazan or ASOIAF which are all 300k+ words. I'm about to check out A Dance with Dragons on audio and that's 49 hours long if you listen at 1X speed. Unless you're parked on a beach for a week listening while you fry in the sun I can't see anybody ever doing it in 8 days. To do it in 14 days I'll be listening at 1.75X which is still 28 hours or 2 hours per day. "

Yes Scott...just 8 days. :(

They said it was because they had to order it from another library ( 2 hours away) and that was the other branch's stipulation. Seems there is another person waiting so they get it for 8 days, then I get it back, finish it....... then the other person gets it back which makes no sense to me what so ever!
If I lived in the same town where the book came from I would get it for 14 days !!
I am trying hard to grasp their reasoning, and it escapes me lol.

Ikr? Can't imagine trying to read Malazan in 8 days....hahahaha...just not happening.
Library to library loans should be longer !

49 hours? Long? omg

message 25: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Margret wrote: "Our library has a 21 day lending period!!"

21 days Margret? Wow, lucky you !
Where do you live so we can all move there lol.

You know you read lot when you decide where you will move based on the library lending policies ;)

message 26: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1934 comments Emelia wrote: "Margret wrote: "Our library has a 21 day lending period!!"

21 days Margret? Wow, lucky you !
Where do you live so we can all move there lol.

You know you read lot when you decide where you will m..."

Move to the UK; 3-4 weeks is the standard lending period here! And you can renew your book over the phone or online several times if necessary (unless someone else has requested it, in which case you have to give it back)!

message 27: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Move to the UK; 3-4 weeks is the standard lending period here! And you can renew your book over the phone or online several times if necessary (unless someone else has requested it, in which case you have to give it back)! ."

Let me just pack my bags now !
Can I couch serf?
I have books hahahaha

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

The expired lending period from the library would have driven me crazy! I totally would have just paid the 10 cents a day until I finished it if I was you haha.

message 29: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "The expired lending period from the library would have driven me crazy! I totally would have just paid the 10 cents a day until I finished it if I was you haha."

For out of town loans...the fee is 25 cents....per day ! *GASPS*

message 30: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

!!!!!! That's just unacceptable! I would not pay 25 haha. Dang!

message 31: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

They're totally screwing you over!

I live near the Rockies in Alberta, Canada. I think 3 weeks is the standard across the board though

message 32: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1934 comments Damn, if I return a book late I'm looking at a fee of 30 pence a day (approx. 38 cents)! I'm being ripped off!!

message 33: by Tammie (last edited Jun 04, 2017 01:24PM) (new)

Tammie | 4188 comments We get 21 days too, unless it's a new release then we get 14. And we can renew once unless someone else has reserved it.

message 34: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments A couple of the libraries here are two week checkout time with two renewals (if it's not on hold for someone else) and the others are three weeks, still with two renewals. And our library over the state are connected, so we can request books from other counties.

message 35: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4188 comments C.P. wrote: "A couple of the libraries here are two week checkout time with two renewals (if it's not on hold for someone else) and the others are three weeks, still with two renewals. And our library over the ..."

Nice that you can request from other counties. I wish we could do that in NC.

message 36: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments You live in NC? I live in SC! They just introduced the program in the past couple of years. Most counties are involved, which is nice.

message 37: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4188 comments C.P. wrote: "You live in NC? I live in SC! They just introduced the program in the past couple of years. Most counties are involved, which is nice."

Yes and I think we both have a mutual friend. Kylara!

message 38: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Yes! That's crazy.

message 39: by John (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Tammie wrote: "C.P. wrote: "A couple of the libraries here are two week checkout time with two renewals (if it's not on hold for someone else) and the others are three weeks, still with two renewals. And our libr..."

I think most libraries in NC do loan across counties (and across the US) for 2 weeks. Ask your librarian - it is called the Inter Library Loan (ILL in Wake County (Raleigh)).

message 40: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4188 comments John wrote: "I think most libraries in NC do loan across counties (and across the US) for 2 weeks. Ask your librarian - it is called the Inter Library Loan (ILL in Wake County (Raleigh))."

I looked it up and it doesn't look like my county participates in it.

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3580 comments Mod
8 day loan is so short. Here it's 28 days for normal loan and you can renew as long as no one else wants the book. Popular new releases you can pay $5 and have them for 14 days. But it's a $1 a day if you go over you loan period for adult books. Kids books are free if you go over until 3rd notification. Plus renewals and book requests can all be gone online. I'm thankful I live in a city as the catalogue of books is so high.

message 42: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I've just started Prince of Fools. Very happy about this book. I wasn't keen on Broken Empire, and was pleasantly surprised at this. It's like a mix between Abercrombie and Weeks' humor... best of both worlds!

Other than that, I'm continuing on with Saxon Stories... #7 I believe! And then moving on to the final book in Divine Cities :) .

I hope everyone is enjoying their week, happy reading!

message 43: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments Margret wrote: "I've just started Prince of Fools. Very happy about this book. I wasn't keen on Broken Empire, and was pleasantly surprised at this. It's like a mix between Abercrombie and Weeks' humor... best of ..."

Enjoy! 😁

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Margret wrote: "I've just started Prince of Fools. Very happy about this book. I wasn't keen on Broken Empire, and was pleasantly surprised at this. It's like a mix between Abercrombie and Weeks' humor... best of ..."

I really liked Prince of Fools too - enjoy!

message 45: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

A lot of great sacrilege moments in it hehe

message 46: by Pablrdriguez (new)

Pablrdriguez I plan to finish The Wise Man's Fear this month (after the finals) and I bought the Mistborn trilogy last week so maybe I'll start it too

message 47: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Enjoy! I loved Mistborn, so many epic moments. I even looked into making my own mist cloak!

message 48: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I did make myself a mistcloak, Margret! Well, my sister made it for me. :D

message 49: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Please tell me you took to jumping off small structures while wearing it, because that would be the best

message 50: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Yes, I must say I have done so.

« previous 1