2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Let us know how your reading went this month, if you had trouble completing this month's task, if you enjoyed the book you read and whether you'd recommend it!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Collins I read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them. Loved the movie and after reading the screenplay, I was so glad the movie was not changed from the screenplay. Looking for another book or two to read for this month's challenge.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
I read Based on a True Story by Delphine de Vigan and it was awesome! Gave me goosebumps and anxiety lol. Very creepy story.

message 4: by anolinde (new)

anolinde | 18 comments I read The Likeness by Tana French, part of the Dublin Murder Squad series. Although the premise is a little far-fetched (the murder victim just so happens to look exactly like one of the detectives, so the detective goes undercover as the victim in order to find out who killed her), it's easily my favorite of the series - French's writing has never been so breathtaking. Would definitely recommend.

message 5: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochestar) | 43 comments I just finished The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor and I am simply reeling. I'm afraid that I'm about to venture down the Wikipedia hole to see if there are more up-to-date details on this man...
I have to say this was such an engaging story and really adds credence to the phrase, "real life is stranger than fiction".

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
I read Republic of Thieves (Gentlemen Bastards #3) by Scott Lynch this month. It was not great. It was definitely missing the fun from the first two books in the series, but I'm glad I crossed it off my TBR and am all caught up with the series. Hopefully the next one will be better!

message 7: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochestar) | 43 comments Rachel wrote: "I read Based on a True Story by Delphine de Vigan and it was awesome! Gave me goosebumps and anxiety lol. Very creepy story."

This book seems really interesting! I might check it out (even though I promised myself to read something light after reading about Clark Rockefeller)

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizleeee) | 20 comments I read The Lies of Locke Lamora for this month, and while I definitely enjoyed it, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of female characters. It was very well written and allowed for a quick, entertaining read.

message 9: by IMY (new)

IMY The Talented Mr. Ripley: Started out hating Ripley b/c I found him so pathetic. But as the deception went on, I started rooting for him to get away with it. Dicky certainly didn't deserve what happened to him, I should be rooting for justice but b/c the narrative was from Ripley I guess I ended up feeling sorry for him. Poor bastard.

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake: This was a fun read. Hard to believe it was based on a true story.

message 10: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments I got caught up in a cozy mystery series, Celebration Bay (written by Shelley Freydont who wrote the Newport Gilded Age series that an ontd-er mentioned in a comment one time on a bike), and read all the books in that, instead of the one I wanted for this challenge. Oops. I do plan on trying to read Fantastic Beasts though!

Luckily for me, the Foul Play at the Fair covered the theme. Honestly, it's a cute cozy series where I actually liked the characters, even though it was modern day. I actually want to visit this stupid little make believe town. There's a hint of romance aspect for this book, which was meh. It's more a of a lead up for down the line. The mystery is alright, didn't quite call all of it. The main character's reasons for being at everything, seemed a little over the top at times, but then I've never event planned. Overall, I'm happy I gave the series a shot and will probably try out Sudoku murders next.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I was pretty swamped this month so I just finished The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor by the skin of my teeth. It was really an interesting read. I can't believe he was able to get away with this shit for as long as he did especially when you enter into the age of Google.

message 12: by EJ (new)

EJ (skrlos) | 14 comments I just finished The Count of Monte Cristo and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. It definitely was an easier and faster read than I originally expected.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjunipero) | 41 comments I read The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor and just whoa. This guy was just very strange and I'm still amazed at all the stuff he got away with. Surprised Hollywood hasn't made a movie about him yet.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Sam wrote: "I read The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor and just whoa. This guy was just very strange and I'm still amazed at all the ..."

Apparently they're making one with Bendysnickers Cabbagepatch

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 53 comments I read The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer, which was a lovely, fun regency crossdressing romance. Very good for train travel/post-surgery bed confinement lol. But I didn't like it as much as the other Heyer I've read, sadly.

I downloaded The Republic of Thieves as an audiobook to listen to on the commute to my new job, not done with it yet though. It's more fun for me than book 2, but I think I'd like it less if I was reading rather than listening. The plot is SO SLOW omg but the fun shenanigans in the flashbacks have been good for commutes lol

Both of these books have been SO good for the theme, though, I'm v impressed with myself lol

message 16: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I really liked The Lies of Locke Lamora and I've added the sequels to my reading list (who doesn't need more unfinished series on their plate!) but I agree with Liz that it could have used more female characters. (view spoiler)

I also read The Paying Guests and (view spoiler)

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizleeee) | 20 comments Undine wrote: "I really liked The Lies of Locke Lamora and I've added the sequels to my reading list (who doesn't need more unfinished series on their plate!) but I agree with Liz that it could have used more fem..."

YES the constant mentions of Sabetha made it glaringly obvious there was a lack of female attention in the book, I kept waiting for her to show up. I'll certainly finish the series at some point because, like you said, I just love being in the middle of multiple series at a time lmao but I'm currently reading a book that is literally made up entirely of female characters sooooo (The Stars Are Legion)