Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
This topic is about Boneshaker
Archives > [June] Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest - Part 1 (before starting)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited May 29, 2017 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments For our steampunk book of the month of June-July, the group picked Boneshaker. There will be 3 sections, one before starting, one halfway through, and one at the end.

This book can fit in several categories of the AtY RC: #2 (2 perspectives), #14 (strong female), #26 (adventure), #29 (not a 4 major publisher), #31 (subgenre of fantasy), #36 (Hugo nominee), #45 (one word title).

For more information about the book of the month, see the Introduction post.

Part 1: Before starting
Part 2: 0-52% (end of chapter 15)
Part 3: 52-100% (chapter 16-end)

Part 1 Questions:
1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
2. What do you think of the book cover and the title, are they conveying well the steampunk side?
3. The book has a survival side. Which one would you prefer to face: mad robots or zombies?
4. If you lived in a steampunk world, you would have no electricity. Which electrical item would you miss a lot?

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments 1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
I think I read 3-4 steampunk series, but they were very different. I often read urban fantasy.

2. What do you think of the book cover and the title, are they conveying well the steampunk side?
For me the glasses are a typical steampunk item (maybe not often present in books). The title doesn't ring a bell!

3. The book has a survival side. Which one would you prefer to face: mad robots or zombies?
It depends, but of the robots are like Terminator, I'd prefer the zombies, they are less evolved.

4. If you lived in a steampunk world, you would have no electricity. Which electrical item would you miss a lot?
It's between my digital camera and my computer, I'm not sure I'd like to come back to the old cameras.

message 3: by °~Amy~° (new) - added it

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments 1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)? I have read quite a bit of steampunk. I do read some urban fantasy but it's not really my thing.

2. What do you think of the book cover and the title, are they conveying well the steampunk side?The cover makes it clear that this is steampunk but the title, not so much.

3. The book has a survival side. Which one would you prefer to face: mad robots or zombies? I just can't get past the zombies in a steampunk book. Steampunk is supposed to be all about machines and robots are machines. Adding zombies or vampires or any of that to the mix just seems like trying to force two completely separate genres together. :( So, I guess if I found myself stuck in a steampunk era, I would expect to be facing robots. If I was stuck in a dystopian future world, then zombies.

4. If you lived in a steampunk world, you would have no electricity. Which electrical item would you miss a lot?My cell phone, be far. It's my source for my connection to friends/family (text/phone/social media), my entertainment (videos/ebooks), my news source, my weather station, everything really.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments 1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
I think it's my first steampunk and even though I love fantasy, I don't read much urban fantasy.

The cover definitely has that steampunk vibe, with the goggles and the "sepia filter" ;)

I feel zombies would be easier to face than mad robots.

Definitely my computer!

message 5: by Shay (last edited Jun 03, 2017 11:03AM) (new) - added it

Shay | 4 comments 1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
I don't think I have read any steampunk before and yes I do read urban fantasy. Fantasy is my favorite genre
I think the cover coveys steampunk well. The title on its own doesn't scream steampunk to me until you put it with the cover, then it definitely coveys steampunk.
Zombies.
It would be a tie between lights and AC. Lights because I think it would be a pain to have to light candles all the time and the AC because I am a baby when it comes to the heat.

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Part 1 Questions:
1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
I think the only steampunk novel I've read is The Time Machine. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres but I haven't read much urban fantasy.

The cover and the title definitely scream steampunk.

I know zombies would be easier to face but I think I'd still rather face mad robots.

Definitely lights.

message 7: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments 1. Are you new to the steampunk genre? Do you read urban fantasy (fantasy set in a city)?
I don't think I've ever read a steampunk novel as the genre is defined. I have a ton of them (including Boneshaker) on my TBR. I love urban fantasy. Two favorites are Neverwhere and American Gods both by Gaiman.

I mean, what is more Steampunk than goggles and a dirigible? The cover screams steampunk. The title to me could be from a lot of different genres.

Zombies. I'm such a zombie fan that real life zombies would both terrify me and make me a little giddy I think.

With the temperature rising I'd definitely miss nighttime air conditioning. I hate sleeping while hot.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments Part 1 Questions:

I have read a few steampunk stories like The Time Machine and Cinder and The Watchmaker of Filigree Street. I have also read Neil Gaiman's urban fantasy novels.

I think the cover screams steampunk. The old time photograph color combined with the steampunk headgear gives no doubt as to what type of story this will be.

I think mad robots. Zombies are too gross and sad.

The A/C definitely!