Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Issue with number of volumes

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments https://www.goodreads.com/series/6679...

This series was originally published in two volumes. I realize that the English edition has always been presented in four distinct volumes, and often Norwegian editions are published in four volumes (however, clearly named as volume 1 in 2 parts and volume 2 in 2 parts).

Which is it to be? Does original publication trump English custom?

message 2: by Krazykiwi (last edited May 28, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Neither trumps the other. If the numbering is different in translation, a new series can be created.

FWIW, I've been working on this a bit the last week or two, but haven't had much time. So far I was more concerned with getting all the right bits/divisions combined with the right other bits, given the numbering confusion, and I hadn't tried to fix the actual numbering yet.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to fix this:
Original Norwegian, two volumes:
Series Title: Olav Audunssøn i Hestviken
1) Olav Audunssøn i Hestviken
2) Olav Audunssøn og hans barn

English, Four volumes:
Series Title: The Master of Hestviken
1) The Axe
2) The Snake Pit
3) In the Wilderness
4) The Son Avenger

Where #1-2 of the English numbering make up #1 of the Norwegian series, and #3-4 make up #2 of the Norwegian series.

Complicated by the fact many other translations, and as Halvor mentioned, Norwegian re-issues, use the four part numbering so don't assume the Norwegian editions belong together, check worldcat/page counts etc. Further complicated by several editions putting the entire saga in one volume.

If nobody else does, I'll get back to this but it probably won't be until next weekend.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments I envision great things to come out of this :-)

Your attention and acknowledgment and understanding of the issue is much appreciated!

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments I've just created the first edition from 1927 of the second book, Olav Audunssøn og hans børn, however, I made the mistake and enttered it as an edition of the #1-2 instead of #3-4. Could you fix this?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Also, you will note that this first edition is actually two books contained in one binding. This should solve our problem neatly as the first book is also in the same 2-in-1 format (I just checked with nb.no).

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Fixed that and split the series in two:
no: https://www.goodreads.com/series/6679...
en: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2075...

I left the single volume collected edition as a non-primary work in both series, for lack of a better idea. Still a lot of the titles need work, but I think now everything is pretty much in the right place. I'll get on the titles on the weekend :)

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments From what I explained in my last comment, division into two series is unwarranted as the original 1925 and 1927 books are published in single bindings.

message 7: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I'm confused now, are you saying the 1925 and 1927 first editions are not one volume each? If so, then they do need to be split in two series, because one numbers them #1 and #2, and the other later publications number them #1 through #4. We do make separate series when the numbering changes.

Just in case I misunderstood the Norwegian WP page (which lists the series as containing two books) I checked the Swedish, as it was translated immediately, and it's clearly listed there as "two novels" as well.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Yes, the series is two novels, but even in the first edition each of these novels were divided into two books, albeit contained within the same binding (but with page numbers beginning anew with the second book).

So my take on this is, let's retain the one series with four volumes. This will remain recognizable even to Norwegians and Swedes.

message 9: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I think this one needs some staff attention, hopefully Rivka will stop by and give an opinion, because this is a rather nonstandard usage of the term "book" (in most cases, it would be simply "part"), and GR generally concerns itself with the physical book objects when it comes to paper books.

It's kind of the opposite of The Lord of the Rings (intended to be one book, published as three), here it's intended to be four, but was published first as two physical books, with distinct names - the four physical parts with names didn't occur until the English Translation.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve (pdssteve) | 1 comments Librarians - how, and where, do I find older books I have in my library - your search box, by either author or title, fails to find to them - is there an advanced search anywhere that I might reach it ??
Steve Prekker (tommyarmour on Goodreads)

message 11: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Steve, it's best to start new threads with new questions, and this one should probably be in the Feedback group here:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

The GR librarians are just volunteer users who maintain the database and book info, and we don't have any say about how the site itself works.

That said, a lot of older books, particularly those that haven't been reprinted, aren't actually in the database. You can always ask for them to be added, particularly if you have the physical book and can provide all the info about it. Just start a new thread here in this group for that.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
Halvor wrote: "So my take on this is, let's retain the one series with four volumes. This will remain recognizable even to Norwegians and Swedes."

Seems reasonable to me, perhaps with a note in the description field as well.