Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Serieses! > Please add this book to series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenaaf) Hi, I've been trying to add Brujas anónimas - Libro II - La búsqueda to the series Brujas anónimas as book #2 but it always sends me back to the main page.
Could someone help?
In case you need it this is book #1Brujas anónimas - Libro I - El comienzo

Thank you.

PS: every other data in book detail is OK, please don't change.

message 2: by David (last edited May 28, 2017 04:05AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments Done, titles corrected.
Please don't undo my title changes again. Your changes are against policy.

message 3: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenaaf) But you are not correcting the titles, you are writing them wrong!!!
I'm the author of the books and I know the titles better than you. It is an insult that you decided to change the titles of my books. That should be against policy.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6168 comments It's not about knowing the title better than someone - it's about the given rules how titles should look like on GR - Series have a special way they should be included into the title - that's policy.
"Place the series information in parentheses after the title and any subtitle or transliteration. If the book is numbered in the series, place the number after the series name with the # symbol in front of it. "
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

message 5: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenaaf) But you are still changing the titles of the books. As they are now is NOT the title. Whether you like it or not, the title is: Brujas anónimas -Libro I - el comienzo.
Would you take off the Harry potter por the book title just because it's the name of the series?

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Harry Potter is a different case because the series name in the title forms a complete sentence.

If they were titled "Harry Potter - The Prisoner of Azkaban" then yes we absolutely would remove it.

message 7: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenaaf) So basically you're saying you get to change a book title to whatever it suits you, it doesn't matter what the real title of the book is.
That's not the title of my book and you can't just change because you don't like it.
You're deleting words from the title, how can you justify that?

message 8: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments We don't do things because they suit us. We do them because these are the rules.
In case it wasn't clear, we don't even have a say on this. Goodreads has policies and guidelines. Volunteer librarians follow these rules and guidelines, or they lose their privileges.

message 9: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited May 29, 2017 02:39AM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6168 comments And yes, if the title would be Harry Potter - book 3 - Prisoner of Aszkaban it would be Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) because that would be the correct format according to GR policies.
We're not deleting words from a title - your series name is still there and "libro" just doesn't belong there (and on a book catloging site it's quite obvious it is a book) and the numer is still there too - so there is nothing deleted, just chosen a correct format.

message 10: by Dragana (last edited May 29, 2017 02:53AM) (new)

Dragana Nadaški (grofica-deedee) | 17 comments This rule should be revised. I'm sure Goodreads did not have the intention to change the names of a book just because it is part of serial. Being so strict (doing according to guidelines) is really an exaggeration.
If it is the name of the book itself as set by the author - I think that it should not be changed. Perhaps these cases should be considered as exceptions?
We should ask whether there are any exceptions to the rules.

message 11: by Dragana (new)

Dragana Nadaški (grofica-deedee) | 17 comments Dragana wrote: "This rule should be revised. I'm sure Goodreads did not have the intention to change the names of a book just because it is part of serial. Being so strict (doing according to guidelines) is really..."
In this case, I think this would be a good way:

Brujas anónimas - Libro I - El comienzo (Brujas anónimas #1)

message 12: by David (last edited May 29, 2017 03:40AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments Perhaps the rules should be revised, but this is not the place for this discussion. For this we have the Feedback group. Until such revision occurs, we are bound by the existing rules.

message 13: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenaaf) I'm sorry but you can't say a word in a book title doesn't belong there. I have the right to name the book as I want. And the word libro it's not to mention is a book, it's part of the name. It's things like that that make me say you change what suits you, you just admited it.
I've already contacted help support.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41701 comments Mod
Lorena wrote: "I've already contacted help support."

Then this matter is in their hands, so I am closing this thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.