J.D. Robb discussion

Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)
This topic is about Portrait in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Portrait In Death Buddy Read - June 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandra (last edited May 29, 2017 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10203 comments Mod
Our in Death Buddy Read continues in June with Portrait in Death. We invite and encourage all to join our discussion!

Synopsis:

After a tip from a reporter, Eve Dallas finds the body of a young woman in a Delancey Street dumpster. Just hours before, the news station had mysteriously received a portfolio of professional portraits of the woman. The photos seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for any pretty young woman starting a modeling career. Except that she wasn't a model. And that these photos were taken after she had been murdered.
Now Dallas is on the trail of a killer who's a perfectionist and an artist. He carefully observes and records his victim's every move. And he has a mission: to own every beautiful young woman's innocence, to capture her youth and vitality - in one fateful shot...

Portrait In Death Map - Possible Spoilers!

Approximate Timeline: Approximate Story Start Date: August 8-15th, 2059

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
David Baxter
Ryan Feeney
Mavis Freestone
Nadine Furst
Galahad
Leonardo
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Troy Trueheart
Jack Whitney
Dickie Berenski
Crack
Louise Dimatto
Caro Ewing
Charles Monroe
Morris
Trina
Yancy
Minor & Pheripheral Characters:
(view spoiler)

Quotes:

Roarke to Eve: “I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell.”

Roarke: "You landed in a field of cows, in a jet-copter."
Eve: "You're telling me?"
Roarke: "You must love me madly."
Eve: "I must."
Roarke: "Thank you."

Sinead: ... "The love was naked on him when he saw it was you, and it's one of the loveliest things I've ever seen."

Eve: "It's nice to know you can screw up now and again, like the rest of us mortals."
Roarke: I couldn't find my balance," he repeated, "until I stood out there in the mist of the morning and saw you. Simple as that for me, it seems. There she is, so my life's where it should be, whatever's going on around it. You know the worst of me, but you came. I think what's here, though I don't understand it all yet, haven't taken it all in, may be the best of me. I want you to be part of that."

Are you ready for more?? Portrait In Death starting June 1! :)

Michelle | 2271 comments I've been waiting for this one. Roarke finds out the truth.

Phrynne | 295 comments Now I can't wait!!!

message 5: by Rae (new)

Rae | 140 comments My favorite book of the series thus far. Can't wait to reread it again!!!

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1225 comments I did not guess who was the kill until the end.

message 7: by Rae (new)

Rae | 140 comments I didn't either. He didn't seem demented, just a normal guy; But then again, how many killers actually do?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 682 comments Please no spoiler hints. I have it ordered from library. Look forward to reading it next week sometime!

Still working on May books for group reads.

Michelle | 2271 comments You ladies have to wait till the 8th. Lol I usually start reading a few days before open zone as I'm always afraid I'll forget too much.

Reminder - Open discussions do not start until the 8th. You'll need to use spoiler tags until then.

Glad to see so many are excited for this one. I love it also! But let's make sure we don't spoil anything for our first time readers. Hold those thoughts until the 8th! :)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments one of my favorites, looking forward to reading this one

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I read an article about Nora Roberts recently. She said Portrait has a hint about what she thought was Roarke's first name. Although now she is happy that he is just Roarke. Did anyone else hear this? If so, maybe we can find the hint.

This is one of my favorites. It is so emotional.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments got it and have started

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 682 comments I'm second in line for this one at library -- hope the reader returns it very soon!

Charlene wrote: "I'm second in line for this one at library -- hope the reader returns it very soon!"

Fingers crossed for you, Charlene. Hope you get it soon. This is such a good one.

Charlene (charlenev) | 267 comments I've finally caught up with the group, and started this on audio today. Hopefully I'll be ready to discuss by the 8th!

Charlene wrote: "I've finally caught up with the group, and started this on audio today. Hopefully I'll be ready to discuss by the 8th!"

Yay! This is in my top 5 ID books. I think it's special.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments started this one yesterday, this one has always been one of my favorites

Only 3 days before Open Discussions! Are you ready??

message 21: by Rae (new)

Rae | 140 comments Yep! This will be my 10th time reading this one. Must be there only one who cannot do the audio books; end up tuning them out as I follow along with book and end up just reading the book.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 682 comments It's waiting for me at library -- my next read.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I'm ready but I'm holding off starting to read. This one breaks me every time I read it and listening to it is worse.

Poor Roarke!
Poor Eve!

Michelle | 2271 comments I'll be starting soon.

Always excited to discuss this one! :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 867 comments Finished today.
I was a bit disappointed in the murder investigation - to slow, a lot of repetition of detail and evidence and the culprit was predictable. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the excitement of the climax and resolution.

The highlights are the developments in Roarke's character and the interactions between Eve and Summerset.

Looking forward to the open discussion.

Phrynne | 295 comments Pages 178 - 188. Reaching for the tissues:(

Open discussion begins tomorrow, June 8. Looking forward to it!

message 29: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I'm working on finishing it today!!!!!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments no not done yet. will have to do a binge read. lots of laughter with the cholocate and eve and peabody

Michelle | 2271 comments I'm with you Susan. I started but got distracted with other rl stuff.

message 32: by Sandra (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussions are now open! Feel free to share your thoughts openly on Portrait in Death!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments Wow where to start. I wonder now that Roarke found his new family will he want to spend more time with them or just forget about them? This book had a lot of laughs for me. But also heartache. When Eve thinks Roarke wants to leave her I was devastated by her heartbreak. We know its not true but she did not. They are both finding out what it is like to be married and to rely on the other for support. Now Roarke finally realizes he needs Eve's support in anything that upsets him and they need to talk thru everything.

Summerset's accident near the beginning seemed to be the catalyst for several things that followed. Let's talk about it and how it affected other characters - and the character relationship developments it helped bring about. It also resulted in some hilarious scenes - what was your favorite?

message 35: by Sandra (last edited Jun 09, 2017 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Character Relationship Development is HUGE in Portrait bringing about some heartbreaking & heart-touching moments. Share some of your favorite moments and tell us why you feel they are important to the book & series.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Character Relationship Development is HUGE in Portrait bringing about some heartbreaking & heart-touching moments. Share some of your favorite moments and tell us why you feel they are important to..."

I was waiting for someone to jump in but I guess I'll go first.

A couple of my favorite scenes that broke my heart

1. Eve is denied access to get in the private office and Roarke was so mean to her. “You were denied access because I’m working on a private matter. I’m drinking because I wanted a drink.” He lifted the glass to his lips again, as if to prove it. “I closed down because what I’m doing has nothing to do with you. Does that clear it up for you, Lieutenant?”.... “Goddamn it, Eve, I’m busy here.” He snapped it out, and stopped her in her tracks. “Give me some fucking space, will you? I’m not in the mood to chat or for a quick shag or a replay of your day.” Insult and anger lit her face. “Just what the hell are you in the mood for?” “To be left alone to do what I’m set to do here.”

This whole exchange made my heart hurt for Eve.

2. The next morning when Roarke is so tired and broken and thinking about making excuses to Eve and finds her gone. He realizes she probably had a nightmare because he left her alone. "Feeling foolish, feeling raw, he played it (the message cube) back twice just to hear her voice. Then closing his fist around the little cube, he sat on the side of the bed. Alone, he grieved for a woman he’d never known, and ached for the only one he’d ever loved.

3. As mentioned above when Eve thought Roarke fell out of love with her because of his actions and they have their little rumble. “Not going to hurt me?” She lifted his head an inch by the hair, then let it thump on the floor. “You’re tired of me, don’t want me around, want to shake me loose, and you’re not going to hurt me?” “Tired of you?” He opened his eyes, and saw for the first time that hers weren’t simply angry. Tears sparkled in them. “Where the hell do you get these things? I never said that. I’ve a great deal on my mind, that’s all. Nothing that has to do with you.” He saw her face, the ripple of hurt that had her flinching as if he’d slapped her. Then she shut it down, so that her eyes went dry, went flat as she sat back on her heels. “What a stupid thing to say,” he murmured. “What a sublimely stupid thing to say.” He lifted his hands, scrubbed them over his face. “I’m sorry for it. I’m sorry for last night, sorry for this. I’m bloody sorry.”

Poor Roarke who stands alone and built so much is chopped down a lot in this book. He can't believe that he had someone who loved him and he never knew her. His fear going into his aunt's house is so touching. I can just see him bracing himself for them to ask him for money and a verbal tongue lashing from them.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Summerset's accident near the beginning seemed to be the catalyst for several things that followed. Let's talk about it and how it affected other characters - and the character relationship develop..."

I was thinking about the accident and the story causes so many ups and downs. Eve is so happy that she is going to have three weeks alone with Roarke and then in the blink of an eye everything changes and her day turns bleak. It is like her relationship with Roarke. She knows they battle but they are on the same side and then she comes home and their relationship changes to something she doesn't know or understand.

It also parallels with the case. All these young people so full of life and potential and the light is taken from them and their families experience so much despair and hopelessness.

This is one of my top books in this series. I know a lot of people don't like this case but I think it is very interesting how a mother's death can impact two children so differently. In Roarke's case, he is thrown into a hostile environment with no love and turns into a good man even if he gets there in a round about way. Gerald's mother's death turns him into a vicious murderer.

message 38: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I read this book many years ago, and remembered bits a pieces of it over the years.

With listening to it, much of it came back to me. How Eve was almost doing a HAPPY DANCE because Summerset was leaving.

It also answered the question of who killer Patrick Roarke. If Summerset didn't actually do it, he may have had someone else do it.

I almost cried when Roarke told Eve about his mother. My eyes were wet. I almost cried when he went to meet his aunt, his mother's twin.

Did a happy dance when Finney told her to go after she told him about what was bothering her.

I always knew that David Baxter was a SOFTIE under that tough womanizing shield he wears. Laughed out loud in regards to the gift he brought Trueheart.

message 39: by Sandra (last edited Jun 10, 2017 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon - you touched on some off the top scenes for me. And the bottom line for me is - Eve & Roarke made another huge leap in relationship development with all that went down. I was so happy to see Eve overcome any doubt & insecurity that Roarke's words may have caused her...so glad she realized that her next move was crucial and she went in after him ready to fight for him. Loved this.

Also loved the scene when Eve realizes that Roarke is more important than the case...that her place is by his side in Ireland and she goes. That scene with Roarke walking out, standing in the morning mist wishing, longing for Eve - and she comes flying in through the mist & cows. The moment he realized it was her just squeezed my heart. Beautiful!

Michelle | 2271 comments Sorry ladies I'm way behind. And yes I've read it before but I want to finish it before I start posting comments. Beside for me Roarke has just arrived in Ireland. My tissues are handy

Michelle | 2271 comments Having said that I'd like to mention that the whole scene from the start to the end of it between Roarke and Eve was intense. I loved how Eve turned to Mavis. That friendship always puts a smile on my face. This is also not the first time that she turns to Mavis for help. And in this case she also breaks to Dr Mira .

And as mentioned above that Eve's thoughts still veer to her insecurities about Roarke's love for her. I loved that her almost next thought is that it's not that. Yet when they finally have it out she does say it. I thnk that's what finally got through the to Roarke. Really made him sit up and take note.

I wish I'd been a fly on the wall when she goes down to Summerset after. I also took note of Roarke's surprise that Eve had already spoken to Summerset about it. As Summerset said they might , okay do squabble with each other but as to the welfare of Roarke they are of the same mind.

Michelle | 2271 comments And speaking of Summerset.

Summerset getting caught with goop all over his face and begging Roarke to get hm out of there. Wonder what he would have thought if he knew that he was channelling Eve.

Okay I'm off to Ireland

message 43: by Sandra (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love the scene where Eve confronts Summerset about what happened to Roarke's father. For Summerset to confess the truth to Eve was HUGE in my eyes - it's a truth even Roarke does not know. And - for Eve to not make a big deal about it being murder - huge for her. So heart touching when Summerset says "I had children to protect..."

message 44: by Sandra (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also want to mention the scene early on after Roarke learns the truth about his mother's death & shuts down - yes, it was hard on Eve - but I'd like to talk about what it did to Summerset also. He knew something was wrong with Roarke & yet when he tried to talk to him about it - Roarke snapped and pretty much told him he was just the "hired help" and it was none of his business. Oh, how that hurt Summerset. Very intense scenes between these two. And of course, later on, when Roarke realizes what he's done - his apology is just so heart-touching.

Roarke has a hard road in Portrait - he is floored by what he learns about his mother. But when it's all said & done and he finds he still has family out there that do not blame him and that love him - it's just worth it all. How he must have felt looking at Sinead and thinking that's what his mother would have looked like at that age if she had lived. How special Sinead giving him his mother's necklace...just loved it!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Sharon - you touched on some off the top scenes for me. And the bottom line for me is - Eve & Roarke made another huge leap in relationship development with all that went down. I was so happy to se..."

Oh my Sandra I love that scene in Ireland. Roarke's initial fear that something happened to Eve and then he sees her. I love it. I actually listen to that scene often when I have a short ride in the car and don't feel like music.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I also want to mention the scene early on after Roarke learns the truth about his mother's death & shuts down - yes, it was hard on Eve - but I'd like to talk about what it did to Summerset also. H..."

Talking about Roarke and Summerset...It is clear that he is afraid that Summerset might know the story about his mother and he is afraid how that will impact their relationship. Roarke is so off about everything he knows as fact.

message 47: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I don't think Summerset knew how Roarke's mother died. He may have suspected after he met Patrick Roarke or knew of him.

Does anyone know in which book Roarke tells Eve about how he met his MAJOR DOMO? I've forgotten over the years.

In order to avoid any chance of spoilers about other books for our new readers, let's keep all discussion in this thread about Portrait in Death only. A great place to post questions about other books is here: Questions about all things In Death.

I really loved the scenes where Eve deals with the nurse Roarke hired to take care of Summerset. Interesting that she steps in to handle things for him. Loved the scene where Summerset tells Eve, "She won't let me have the cat." Aw... he wanted Galahad with him. Eve tells Spence to let him have the cat! lol

message 50: by Rae (new)

Rae | 140 comments I like all those scenes as well. I also like the interaction between Eve and Summerset when Eve comes home to do her "wifely" duties and help with getting Summerset situated at home. Eve says " Ok, everybody out. You---" She pointed at Spence take five, "Mavis, Leonardo give me a minute here." " You too." She jerked a thumb at Roarke. "Out." Summerset tells Eve he has nothing to say to her, and Eve responds "Good." "Keep your mouth shut. Personally, I don't care if you roll yourself out of here in that chair, and get mowed down by a maxibus, but he does. He spent the last, what is it?" She checked her wrist unit. "Oh, thirty hours or so worried sick about you, arranging things, re- arranging things so you'd be comfortable, and happy as your demon soul allows you to be. You scared him, and he doesn't scare easily."
I also like when Summerset opens up to Eve and says "Lieutenant," he said as she walked to the door.
"What"
"She (PA Spence) won't let me have the cat."
She glanced back, and saw a time of embarrassed color run into his cheeks. "You want him?"
"I just fail to see why he should be banned from my quarters."
"I'll fix it."
It's nice to know those two can be civil with each other once in a while.
Then Eve goes and finds Roarke placating Spence in the kitchen. "Just give him a minute or two to comepose himself," Eve said, and headed for coffee. "He wants the cat."
"I'd prefer to keep the area sterile," Spence began.
"He wants the cat," Eve said flatly... " He gets the cat"
Made me chuckle at that. Nice that Eve stuck up for Summerset.

« previous 1 3