Horror Aficionados discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
Group Reads > June 2017 - Group Read #2 – The Library at Mount Char

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments The runner-up for our June group read is “The Library at Mount Char” by Scott Hawkins

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

Have fun. Please use spoiler tags
Happy Reading!

message 2: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2801 comments Mod
I've got 4 books going right now but as soon as I finish one of them I just might have a go at this book. It's been on my tbr for a while now and I've heard good things about it.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
If my copy is lendable, I'll lend it out. I didn't like this book enough to read it again. Sorry :(

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2761 comments Mod
So happy to see this book in such a heavy rotation on Goodreads, it's a kick ass story, I have the ebook but I'm going to treat myself to a hardcopy and read it again.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 960 comments Loved this book!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5687 comments Mod
I just reserved a copy at the library for myself--I'll be joining in this one! :)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments I would enjoy re-reading this one.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
I have it marked as lendable if anyone wants to borrow it. Kindle version. Send me your e-mail.

message 9: by 7 (new) - rated it 5 stars

7 | 4 comments This book is absolutely amazing. Enjoy it because you'll be in for a ride!

Jennifer Trudeau I just started this one on my own -- great timing!

I'll be very interested to hear what people think... I'm already having trouble deciding whether to force myself to finish it, for reasons I don't want to give away yet. Not because it's boring, badly written... I have issues with the content.

When will it be ok to start posting about the story? I'm new to the group and unsure about how stuff works.

message 11: by WendyB (last edited May 29, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I just started this one on my own -- great timing!

I'll be very interested to hear what people think... I'm already having trouble deciding whether to force myself to finish it, for reasons I don..."

You can make comments at any time if you are reading the book. Just remember to use spoiler tags if what you are saying would reveal an important plot point for others who may not be at the same point in the story as you.

Jenny (jennyc89) I read this year & loved it. Really cool story & characters. Enjoy!

Jennifer wrote: "I just started this one on my own -- great timing!

I'll be very interested to hear what people think... I'm already having trouble deciding whether to force myself to finish it, for reasons I don..."

Post the percentage (or page) you are up to, before making your comments (if they are possible spoilers), as well. :)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 2 comments I had a hardback copy of this for Christmas and it was a great (bonkers) story :-)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book so much! I am swamped with a lengthy TBR right now but I wish I could re-read this. It is definitely book that would be re-readable :p

Jennifer Trudeau Wendy & Kimberly, thank you.

Jennifer wrote: "Wendy & Kimberly, thank you."

No problem. :)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I'll be reading Let the Right One In for sure and I am really going to try hard to squeeze this one in too!

message 19: by Graeme (last edited May 29, 2017 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments If you haven't read it yet Nancy, it's a great book.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "If you haven't read it yet Nancy, it's a great book."

I did buy the book so I intend to get to it eventually.

message 21: by 7 (new) - rated it 5 stars

7 | 4 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just started this one on my own -- great timing!

Very understandable! If it makes you uncomfortable then you shouldn't force yourself but you can always comment on the parts you have read!

message 22: by Graeme (last edited May 30, 2017 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just started this one on my own -- great timing!

Hi Jennifer, (welcome to HA), there is some pretty savage stuff in the book. I found some of it quite confronting too - however I found that the meaning of actions shifted as the story progressed and once that happened - it was less confronting.

The first half is quite complex, and I found it hard to follow or confusing at times.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments Opened this one early to 'check it out' and CANNOT STOP READING. It *IS* confusing, and I barely know what the hell is happening half the time, yet I am loving every minute of it! --Jen from Quebec :0)

Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Opened this one early to 'check it out' and CANNOT STOP READING. It *IS* confusing, and I barely know what the hell is happening half the time, yet I am loving every minute of it! --Jen from Quebec..."

LOL! Good to hear--I'm expecting my copy to come in this week. :)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I thought the book was disgustingly gross - loved it! ; p

Seriously, it is a story with shocks upon shocks to the end.

message 26: by WendyB (new)

That is the strangest first chapter I think I've ever read.

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Hi WendyB - expect more of the same for the first half - then a switch goes on, it all starts to make sense and becomes superb.

message 28: by WendyB (new)

Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "Hi WendyB - expect more of the same for the first half - then a switch goes on, it all starts to make sense and becomes superb."

It definitely got my attention right off the bat. Can't wait to read more and understand more.

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments That's the spirit.

Badseedgirl | 511 comments I read this one in March, so I will be skipping this month, but will follow this tread to see what everyone else thought.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments I am only 34% into the book, but thus far I am loving it and also- perhaps disturbingly- I find it to be quite hilarious! --Jen from Quebec :0)

I still have to pick up my copy from the library...

Got it! I'll be joining in soon. :)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments I love the idea that knowledge is bound up with language. There is literally a language for murder and execution, and knowing such a language confers a superior capability in the arena of the specific language.

Marvelous stuff which really resonates with me.

message 36: by WendyB (new)

Haven't had a lot of time to sit down and read the past few days. I'm only at the start of the 3rd chapter. I have no idea what is going on, and to be honest, I'm not completely sure I like the book. I'll keep going for a bit because I am kind of curious what might happen based on the reviews others have given.

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Hi WendyB, I found the start confusing and hard to get into for about 40% of the book, but then it started to make sense and it turned in to one of the top 2 books I've read in the last 12 months.

Angelica (angelica221) | 4 comments I feel like I got stuck in the middle... based on all of the comments here, I'm going to pick it up again!

Just started today--glad to see the comments about the slow beginning--I'll know it's worth sticking with. :)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments SO glad that I am doing *this* book for Group Read! --Jen from Quebec :0)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Absolutely recommend perseverance with this one.

message 42: by Nate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Anyone hear listening to the audio? I have the ebook, and I'm thinking about picking up the audio as well since it's a good discount. The comments are forcing this book into a must read! Thanks, all.

27%, and things are finally starting to get "intriguing".....

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments Nate wrote: "Anyone hear listening to the audio? I have the ebook, and I'm thinking about picking up the audio as well since it's a good discount. The comments are forcing this book into a must read! Thanks, all."

I am listening to the audio AND following along with my Kindle version. The audio is pretty good! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 45: by Nate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Nate wrote: "Anyone hear listening to the audio? I have the ebook, and I'm thinking about picking up the audio as well since it's a good discount. The comments are forcing this book into a must rea..."

Thanks, Jen! I love having both options, so might have to go that way.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments If you buy the Kindle version, I think the Audible is only like, 4 bucks. --Jen from Quebec :0)
(PS) The only thing the audio does NOT do well are the animal like sounds some of our characters make, BUT the narrator is EXCELLENT at varying her voice per different characters.

Marco Kamerbeek I found this group read last week and I ll be joining you Reading this book tomorrow.

Marco wrote: "I found this group read last week and I ll be joining you Reading this book tomorrow."

I just started it yesterday--nice to have you join. :)

message 49: by Nate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Well, 15% through, and I'm really enjoying this so far. The writing is great, the action is intriguing, and mysteries abound. Granted, I just recently finished reading a Series of Unfortunate Events in its entirety, so I've been trained to deal with mysterious plot details that aren't immediately resolved, if ever lol.

I'm tag-teaming this with ebook and audio, and the narration is indeed well done, as Jen mentioned. Hillary Huber is one of those single-person ensemble narrators with seamless switching between different characters and description. The sound effects are tough in this book! I wouldn't relish the prospect.

Regardless of how this turns out, I won't be forgetting Mrs McGillicutty anytime soon.

message 50: by Nate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments These chapter titles are hilarious. The Luckiest Chicken in the World? Freakin' awesome.

« previous 1