YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > June 2017 Book of the Month - POLL IS UP

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:28AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Please nominate any LGBTQ-focused YA book that we have not yet read as a book of the month for our June-July group read. If possible, link the book page on GR and tell us a little about it or why you picked it, or post the blurb.

The titles of past books of the month that we have read are on all the threads in this "Book of the Month" folder, and you can also check with a search of the group's book-of-the-month Bookshelf at - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... Please do not repeat a book we have read, and **added** please only nominate the first book in a series, unless a later book stands alone completely as a solo read.**added**

Up to two nominations per member. Nominations will be open through Midnight May 30th. Feel free to renominate a book that did not win in a past vote, if you want to.

(Authors please do not nominate your own books - but readers can definitely nominate a member author's work. If you enjoyed a book you got via read-to-review you can nominate it here too.)

Remember that books are now up for two months for reading, so we have two current reads at any time. What book should we consider next?

Nominations are now closed.

The poll is now up, https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...
and will also be linked in the monthly newsletter

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessicaclarence) | 9 comments I'd like to nominate Gena/Finn by Hannah Moskowitz.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments I'm going to also put Radio Silence Radio Silence by Alice Oseman by Alice Oseman on the list, since it lost by just one vote last time.

message 4: by Mel (last edited May 28, 2017 05:24PM) (new)

Mel (melleach) I would like to nominate Elpida, the third book in C. Kennedy's Elpida series Elpída by C. Kennedy This sort of wraps up Christy and Michael's story, but I am hoping we will see a future book about Thimi.

message 5: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (shidodraws) | 2 comments Did we ever get Timekeeper by Tara Sim?

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 2 comments I would like to nominate None of the Above, by I.W. Gregorio...

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Jessica wrote: "Did we ever get Timekeeper by Tara Sim?"

Nope - I'll put it on the list.

Timekeeper

None of the Above

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Mel wrote: "I would like to nominate Elpida, the third book in C. Kennedy's Elpida series Elpída by C. Kennedy This sort of wraps up Christy and Michael's story, but I am hoping we will..."

This is a very intense series, but I don't know if this third book stands alone well enough to be read on its own? We usually only put the first book of series on a BotM - otherwise it might be a buddy read?

message 9: by Mel (last edited May 29, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Mel (melleach) Kaje wrote: "Mel wrote: "I would like to nominate Elpida, the third book in C. Kennedy's Elpida series Elpída by C. Kennedy This sort of wraps up Christy and Michael's story, but I am ho..."

I think it will make an excellent buddy read, Kaje. I'll prepare a post for a buddy read. That way, those who have read the first two in the series can sign on for it.

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Cool - I'll take it off the BotM list then. I'm sure there are members who have read the first two and are eager for this one. (I know Sammy is reading it right now.)

message 11: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments I'm nearly finished Elpida. I do believe it could be read out of order. But if there is overwhelming concern then I would ask that the first book in the series be substituted for BOTM which would be Omorphi. If we've done that one then let's put Tharros in.

message 12: by Mel (last edited May 29, 2017 01:14PM) (new)

Mel (melleach) Sammy Goode wrote: "I'm nearly finished Elpida. I do believe it could be read out of order. But if there is overwhelming concern then I would ask that the first book in the series be substituted for BOTM which would b..."

We did have Omorphi as BoM a while back. In 2013.

message 13: by C. (last edited May 29, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments It is no more intense than some of your books, Kaje. It is also an IMPORTANT series for the benefit of YOUTH. All YOUTH, not only victims. It is an INSPIRATIONAL series.

If you believe sequels should not be included in the Book of the Month nominations, I suggest that you put that in the qualifying stipulations. I also suggest, as this is a group for the benefit of youth and run by multiple moderators, that you run your thoughts by the other moderators as opposed to making unilateral decisions.

Thanks.

Kaje wrote: "Mel wrote: "I would like to nominate Elpida, the third book in C. Kennedy's Elpida series Elpída by C. Kennedy This sort of wraps up Christy and Michael's story, but I am ho..."

message 14: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio is an excellent book, Ashley.

Ashley wrote: "I would like to nominate None of the Above, by I.W. Gregorio..."

message 15: by Eric (last edited May 29, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 197 comments C. wrote: "It is no more intense than some of your books, Kaje. It is also an IMPORTANT series for the benefit of YOUTH. All YOUTH, not only victims. It is an INSPIRATIONAL series.

If you believe sequels sho..."

Respectfully, C, I don't see a "decision" by Kaje based on any "rule" or "policy" about nominations.

The book was nominated by Mel. Kaje commented that unless a later book in a series can really be read as a standalone, it was customary to nominate the first book in a series. An idea which seems eminently logical to me as it reduces the risk of series-spoilers from the discussions of a later book.

It was Mel's decision to put up a post to read Elpida as a buddy-read...which has been done. So given Mel's decision...a decision which seems to me at least an implicit withdrawal of the nomination...Kaje took Elpida off the list.

I'm not a moderator of anything, never have been, so with this post I'm definitely not "writing what I know." But in this sequence of events it seems a reasonable decision on her part.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

p.s. My apologies if offense has been given, as none was intended.

message 16: by Kaje (last edited May 30, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments ((Hugs)) Eric - no worries. I've added avoiding sequels to the stated rules.

ETA: Cody (C. Kennedy) asked me on FB to remove the rest of this post with anything pertaining to him or his books, so I have done so.

I am sorry if anything I said seemed unfair or arbitrary. It is my goal, always, to do my best for this group.
If anyone has other books to nominate we have two days left to do so. And we have several excellent titles to choose from so far. Thanks to everyone who participates and helps us find good books to share and enjoy.

message 17: by Sammy Goode (last edited May 29, 2017 02:43PM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Ok folks, thanks to all for weighing in on the Elipida series. We will leave Elipida, book three as a buddy read.

message 18: by C. (last edited May 29, 2017 03:06PM) (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments I would be remiss if I didn't state for the group that these comments by Kaje are mis-statements of facts. Kaje has not been in direct communication with me over these specifics.

Kaje wrote: "((Hugs)) Eric - no worries. I've added avoiding sequels to the stated rules, we'll nominate book 2 (since we already read book 1 as a BotM in Oct 2013) to be more fair to Cody, since he disagreed w..."

message 19: by Kaje (last edited May 30, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments C. wrote: "I would be remiss if I didn't state for the group that these comments by Kaje are mis-statements of facts. Kaje has not been in direct communication with me over these specifics.

Kaje wrote: "((H..."

ETA - I'm told by Cody that my response to this comment was also wrong. Also removed.

Now I'm going to go eat chocolate, and write about kind men who love each other. May you all be having a good Monday, holiday or not. And those for whom it is Memorial day, if you have lost service people in your family, thank you for their sacrifice and yours, in the name of freedom.

message 20: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Thank you for modifying your comment, Kaje. I appreciate it.

Kaje wrote: "C. wrote: "I would be remiss if I didn't state for the group that these comments by Kaje are mis-statements of facts. Kaje has not been in direct communication with me over these specifics.

Kaje ..."

message 21: by Timmy (new)

Timmy (kellstimmy) | 8 comments Slaying Isidore's Dragons
I want to nominate Slaying Isidore's Dragons.
5 Best friends, 4 Vicious brothers, 3 STD tests, 2 Guys in love, 1 Car bombing & nowhere to run

Follow the burgeoning love of two teens during the worst year of their lives. Irish-born Declan David de Quirke II is the son of two ambassadors, one Irish and one American. He is 'out' to his parents but to no one else. French-born Jean Isidore de Sauveterre is also the son of two ambassadors, one Catalan and one Parisian. His four half brothers have been told to cure him of his homosexuality. Both teens have lost a parent in a London car bombing.

5 Weeks of hell, 4 Attempts on their lives, 3 Law enforcement agencies, 2 Dead high school seniors, 1 Jealous friend & a love that won’t be denied

Declan and Isidore meet at the beginning of their senior year at a private academy in the United States. Declan is immediately smitten with Isidore and becomes his knight in shining armor. Isidore wants to keep what is left of his sanity and needs Declan's love to do it. One is beaten, one is drugged, one is nearly raped, one has been raped. They are harassed by professors and police, and have fights at school, but none of it compares to running for their lives. When the headmaster's popular son attempts suicide and someone tries to assassinate Declan's mother, they are thrown headlong into chaos, betrayal, conspiracy, allegations of sexual coercion, even murder. And one of them carries a secret that may get them killed.

5 New family members, 4 BFF’s, 3 Countries, 2 Extraordinary Psychologists, 1 Courageous Mother & a new beginning for two young men in love

message 22: by Kaje (last edited May 29, 2017 05:24PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Timmy wrote: "Slaying Isidore's Dragons
5 Best friends, 4 Vicious brothers, 3 STD tests, 2 Guys in love, 1 Car bombing & nowhere to run

Follow the b..."

Hi Timmy, thanks and welcome for posting your first comment on our group <3, and taking the time to suggest a book for us to read. We're happy to see you on the page here. I hope you've had fun hanging out on the group so far, and I know how much you love this book. We did discuss it when Cody was Author of the Month in April 2015, but it has not been officially a Book of the Month, so we can add it to the nominations. Have you read Cody's new one yet? Maybe you got an advance copy from him. I'm hearing very good things about it from the ARC readers so far, and Mel, whom you know well, has set up a Buddy Read thread for it. Please do feel more than welcome to head over there and read or comment. Sammy's likely to be there too, because we know our Sammy and she does amazing book commentaries.

I'll add Slaying Isidore's Dragons to the voting.

message 23: by Timmy (new)

Timmy (kellstimmy) | 8 comments Kaje wrote: "Timmy wrote: "Slaying Isidore's Dragons
5 Best friends, 4 Vicious brothers, 3 STD tests, 2 Guys in love, 1 Car bombing & nowhere to run..."

I'm glad to be here. It sometimes make me very nervous to post in new places. I have been following your posts though! I love that there is a YA place like this, but I still get a bit scared at the amount of strangers.

Yes I did get to Beta the new book! I'm super excited about it coming out. Though Thimi is not me, we share many similarities. I'm sorry it wasn't able to qualify, but I love Slaying Isidore's Dragons as well. I also Beta read SID and I know it is a good book. I hope everyone likes it, but no matter what it is a fave of mine.

Thank you for welcoming me here and adding the book I nominated.
Timmy

message 24: by Kaje (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Nominations are now closed.

The poll is now up, https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...
and will also be linked in the monthly newsletter

message 25: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments Winner with 29% of the vote - Slaying Isidore's Dragons

The BotM thread will be up soon.