Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 35 comments Looking for paranormal books (no vampires, werewolf's, zombies) - strictly haunting/ghosts. Read all of St. James....love her. Preferably romance involved, but not required and the scarier the better! Any suggestions?

Kimberly / Love Notes Book Blog (picklechic) | 25 comments Kristen Ashley has the Ghosts and Reincarnations series that I enjoyed.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/6939...

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments J.L. Bryan's Ellie Jordan series is fantastic, I devour them whenever a new one comes out and they are super inexpensive.

Also Amanda Stevens Graveyard Queen series is awesome and also complete so if your looking for a series that is already finished it is fabulous too. Both of these series are spooky and creepy and are all about the ghost.
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) by J.L. Bryan The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens

message 4: by Bunnycore (last edited May 26, 2017 02:44PM) (new)

Bunnycore | 63 comments If you haven't read Downside, and like dark, gritty dystopia type books it has my vote I am re-reading the books for the third time. I listen to the audiobooks often.
Unholy Ghosts
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

Oh and Darkhouse by Karina Halle

message 5: by Josie (new)

Josie Jaffrey (josiejaffrey) | 56 comments I really enjoyed Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, which is about an exorcist.

message 6: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 35 comments Thank you! These are great!

Mlpmom- romance in either one?

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments There are, more in Steven's than the other.

message 8: by Carolynn (new)

Carolynn (Molly.Groot) Evans  (molly_groot) | 11 comments I really enjoy the series by Kat Richardson, that begins with Greywalker. There are other creatures, but much of her world is ghostly. I take a bit of exception with one major/minor flaw in book one, but that may just be me- if you read it, or have read it, I'd be curious to talk about it.

I really enjoy the world Richardson built though, and there is some romance- not the hot and heavy variety, but a friendship that builds into something solid and reliable and believable.

The last book in that series came out last year, so it is a good one to devour without worrying about waiting- I'm greedy about that kinda thing. I hate waiting! Hehehe.

message 9: by Carolynn (new)

Carolynn (Molly.Groot) Evans  (molly_groot) | 11 comments Bunnycore wrote: "If you haven't read Downside, and like dark, gritty dystopia type books it has my vote I am re-reading the books for the third time. I listen to the audiobooks often.
Unholy Ghosts
..."

I'm a huge audio book fan of late- are those well narrated? I find that, sometimes, I end up not liking a series at all if I don't care for the reader. But then, darn, I'm just stuck with a real book in my hands. ;)

(I am an insomniac though, and in order to get any good snuggle time with my husband at night, I tend to listen to audio books while he sleeps.)

message 10: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 128 comments I read all of Greywalker and Downside... and 2 of the Experiments in Terror books by Karina Halle...

I liked the initial 5 book arc of Greywalker a lot... the first book was the weakest for me... (view spoiler)... the rest of the series wasn't bad...

I haven't tried the Downside audiobooks, but I've seen a ton of people that have say nothing but good things about it...

message 11: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore | 63 comments @Carolyn I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia. That really sucks, I'm a spurt sleeper. I sleep in 3 hour bursts. I listen to the audio books almost everynight I go to bed with Bahni Turpin. She has a great smokey voice. She does the voices really well. There are a lot of narriator's that will fall flat when doing male voices but I feel she kills it.

She's right up there with Cynthia Halloway, I got really into Anita Blake, just on Audio because of Cynthia. I would have probably contniued with LKH's shenanigans if she continued the books.

Back to Bahni, I hear her in my head right now with the re-read. It's good at night too because of the tone of her voice. If you give it a shot, let me know what you think. I do sometimes expect her to get into a Cajun accent.

@Iain I read Arcadia Bell for Jupe and Lon. I felt they made this book as well. I agree about your assessment tho. But the overall concept of the book is what kept me coming back. The family aspect of it was great and Jenn Bennett made it believable. The relationships with the three of them were great in my eyes.

I have never read the Greywalker series. As a matter of fact I have the first book in my stack on the floor. It's been there forever, just never picked it up. Maybe I will check it out, looks like I need to get past the first book.

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 128 comments @Bunnycore: Arcadia drove me crazy, because it was like if Lon wasn't there to suggest she use her powers whenever they could save the day, she would die having never tried... that golf course scene in book 2 was the death knell for me... considering I remember it 3-4yrs later

I remember having to start Greywalker twice... the first time I didn't make it past the first time she gets lost in the Grey...

message 13: by Bunnycore (last edited May 28, 2017 05:08AM) (new)

Bunnycore | 63 comments I just want to know how the frick Mister Piggy got on all thos crap. HEDGEHOGS ARE NOT THAT BIG!! they never explained how this happened. Was he magic? Did random people just place him places? TELL ME!! Jupe's knack started to get intresting. I like that it wasn't about immortals and forever love. They were semi normal people, living semi normal lives. With a supernatural kick. It felt more like a light read. There was no real mystery. You figured most of it out. So it was a brainless joy for me.

You have to have one of those book/series Iain I know you do. ^_^

message 14: by Josie (new)

Josie Jaffrey (josiejaffrey) | 56 comments UF with hedgehogs?! That sounds completely bonkers!

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 128 comments That's mostly why I read contemporary romance... its light... the ones I like are funny... and you know everything is going to work out in the end... I read Lucky Harbor, Animal Magnetism, a lot of Susan Mallery's work, Penny Reid's Knitting in the City and WInston Brothers universe, Julia James, and some others I think...

I liked Chicagoland Vampires for the characters more than the stories (the politics of that series moved at a snails pace) (view spoiler)

message 16: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore | 63 comments @The Gin Book club have read the Arcadia Bell series? It's not that bad but she has a pet Hedgehog and it winds up on tables. So it's not that its a hedgehog its the size of the thing. Hedgehogs are only the size of your hand. How is it getting up stairs and on tables without help?

@Iain i got through the first three of Chicago Land. I couldn't hear how hot Thatcher was or Ethan. I liked hearing about her granfather. The characters did seem fun, I just got bored.

message 17: by Josie (new)

Josie Jaffrey (josiejaffrey) | 56 comments @Bunnycore I haven't, but it sounds a bit odd. Is this a magic hedgehog that can levitate? Or a teleporting hedgehog? If not, maybe someone should write that...

message 18: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore | 63 comments Oh my gods i so agree. But alas no he is a regular hedgehog. Just mysterious.. -jazz fingers- ooooooo..

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) Any books where the ghost falls in love with the main character?

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 128 comments Since it seems to be coming up everywhere I turn right now... Gil's All Fright Diner

Also: Dark Needs at Night's Edge... altho I quit this series before getting this far, so I can't say how it is... it sounded like one of the less rape-y ones by my standards

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments One of the authors who posts here has a series (the run around) that has ghosts, and a spin off book that has a ghost and human fall in love. It's high on the explicit sex scenes. If you like your stories steamy you will really enjoy these books.