What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Things With Wings
This topic is about The Things With Wings
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/children's lit about boy who meets girl who talks with butterflies [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

The book follows a boy who's pretty average and one day he's walking through the woods and comes across this girl in a tree who's sitting amongst butterflies in a big tree. The girl and boy continue to meet up, I think the girl is new in town and lives only with her father who's absent for the most time. There's some mystery surrounding their parents. And it ends with the butterflies swarming and leaving. The girl's mother really liked butterflies and I think that had something to do with the girl hanging around the butterflies. At some point, the trees get burned down because the town parents don't like all the butterflies eating up the leaves and there's some issue with the kids.

I read the book back in early 2000s, so probably published sometimes between 80's and mid 2000s.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5013 comments The Things With Wings by Greg Holch, maybe?

Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Tab wrote: "The Things With Wings by Greg Holch, maybe?

Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?"

I don't remember the cover, and it was a standalone at the time that I read it.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Jun 05, 2017 03:08PM) (new)

Kris | 35176 comments Mod
Emma, it this realistic YA fiction with no fantasy elements?

Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield turned up while searching, but it was published in 2016.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kris wrote: "Emma, it this realistic YA fiction with no fantasy elements?

Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield turned up while searching, but it was published in 2016."

I think it's def more realistic YA fiction.

Alas, I read it more than 10 years ago, so it's not Paper Butterflies. Thank you though for checking!!

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4229 comments How about Tab's suggestion of The Things With Wings? I looked at the preview on amazon and boy (new in town) meets girl in a tree.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ayshe wrote: "How about Tab's suggestion of The Things With Wings? I looked at the preview on amazon and boy (new in town) meets girl in a tree."
It might be! I'll give it more of a look - I didn't remember the girl actually turning into a butterfly, but it's been a real long time, too, since I've read it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh Shoot! Sorry for keeping this so long on the unsolved when Tab's had found it right the day after! I'm giving it a read on the preview and Ayshe and Tab were totally right - it's The Things With Wings! Thanks y'all! :D