Matthew (funkygman007) | 1675 comments Mod
Discuss our June 2017 selection here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Book starts today!

I like the "Not suitable for children" in the movie poster below:

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am not sure why, but I had this book on our "Read" shelf, not "Currently Reading". Moved it now!

Anyone out there reading this at the moment?

I re-read it recently as I remembered liking it, but it had been over 20 years since the last time. I wanted to re-read before I read the sequel. It was still a great book. And, I liked the sequel, which it seemed like generally people did not.

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 3 comments Tempted to re read as its my favourite book, but so far resisted as trying not to re read anything this year. I've read it countless times over the last (nearly) 40 years. It had a huge affect on the 15 year old I was when I first read it.

I read Go Set a Watchman last year. I liked it but I didn't love it like Mockingbird. It's very different but it should be as Scout has grown up (and so have we!) One particular part/theme upset me very much but I won't go into that in a discussion of To Kill a Mockingbird

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Go Set a Watchman is terrible.

TKAM is awesome. The movie is still considered unsuitable for children, and schools in my area are not allowed to show it.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil wrote: "Go Set a Watchman is terrible.

TKAM is awesome. The movie is still considered unsuitable for children, and schools in my area are not allowed to show it."

I enjoyed Go Set A Watchman - but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Here's my review of Watchman.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil wrote: "Here's my review of Watchman.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I like this comment very much: It makes the last 50 pages of The Jungle look like a pillar of restrained subtlety.

Carol | 57 comments There's a typo in the title -- it says To Kill and Mockingbird

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol wrote: "There's a typo in the title -- it says To Kill
and
Mockingbird"

Good catch- fixed! Can't believe I didn't notice that!

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 3 comments Matthew wrote: "Phil wrote: "Go Set a Watchman is terrible.

TKAM is awesome. The movie is still considered unsuitable for children, and schools in my area are not allowed to show it."

I enjoyed Go Set A Watchman..."

You may be in a minority in this group but I enjoyed it and most people I know in real life that have read it like it too.

It's not TKAM but as that's the best book ever written ;-) it was always going to suffer by comparison.