Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The best book I read in APRIL...and MAY!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
Well, I remembered to post this before May is out!

I'll give a shout out to Oy Yew by Ana Salote, which I got here in the Read 4 Review programme. It's a really good story, and I think it's got something special about it.

message 2: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments I read three amazing middle-grade books in April ~

The Road to Ever After by Moira Young
When the Butterflies Came by Kimberely Griffiths Little
Tortilla Sun by Jennifer Cervantes

All magical realism. All beautifully written.

message 3: by Jemima (new)

I've amended this to include May reads.

I read The Ugly Teapot: Book One: Hannah which I gave me some reservations about the suitability of one of its chapters, And the fourth Lockwood & Co book The Creeping Shadow for which the same applies, although someone commented that maybe these were upper MG/YA.

message 4: by M.J. (last edited Jun 16, 2017 09:39PM) (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments And my favourite read in May was The Inn Between by Marina Cohen. The GR blurb begins "The Shining meets Hotel California" which was enough to hook me. A deliciously creepy read -- not for sensitive readers.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 333 comments The best non fiction middle grade book I read in April/May was The Tree Book for Kids and Their Grown Ups (absolutely excellent and not just for children either).

For fiction, I cannot really make up my mind as to which of these two spectacular British fiction books I enjoyed best (both not recent and one of them a reread), Marianne Dreams and A Traveller In Time (perhaps I enjoyed the latter just a wee bit more due to its time travelling, Tudor thematics, but both books are simply amazing).

message 6: by Jemima (new)

Manybooks wrote: "The best non fiction middle grade book I read in April/May was The Tree Book for Kids and Their Grown Ups (absolutely excellent and not just for children either).

For fiction, I can..."

A Traveller in Time rang some faint bells for me, and I checked it to discover it was written by Alison Uttley. She was a very popular writer when I was young - a very long time ago! "Little Grey Rabbit" was probably her most famous character but I remember reading some of hers for slightly older children and was surprised to find she was the same person who wrote for younger ones. I must check out Traveller in Time and read - or reread - it

message 7: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 12, 2017 11:50AM) (new)

Manybooks | 333 comments Jemima wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "The best non fiction middle grade book I read in April/May was The Tree Book for Kids and Their Grown Ups (absolutely excellent and not just for children either).

..."

I absolutely and very highly recommend the book, especially if you like old fashioned time traveling tales and Tudor history. Allison Uttley also wrote a novel called The Country Child, which I have not read but which looks promising.

I first read A Traveller In Time in the early 80s in high school (but it was published in 1939 I believe) and I loved it both then and during my recent reread (as much as Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden and that says a lot coming from me).

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 297 comments In April, I only managed 1 MG When the Sea Turned Silver by Grace Lin. In May I doubled my number! Of the 2 books, I preferred Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot I thought it was cleverly written for MG readers about living with someone who has depression.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
April and May...I think I'll pick on The Girl Who Drank the Moon as best fantasy, with The Only Road as a really good "issue" novel.

And I'll cast a vote for Flush because I love Carl Hiaasen's environmental message (in all his children's books, at least), which goes so far beyond tossing the milk jug in the recycling bin.

message 10: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) Shadow Weaver without a doubt.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison (oriel4) | 4 comments Loving this thread. The Hobbit graphic novel- very well done. Excellent for reluctant reader son.
What is the read for review program, please?

message 12: by Jemima (new)

Alison wrote: "Loving this thread. The Hobbit graphic novel- very well done. Excellent for reluctant reader son.
What is the read for review program, please?"

If you go to our 'home' page and scroll down the list of sections, you'll find the Read 4 Review program listed there.

There's a thread explaining it; people (usually authors) who have a book which they are giving free copies (usually ebooks) for review list them in separate threads.

I spring-clean it every few months to lose those that haven't had any action in months. If there are no comments, they are deleted; if there's been discussion, they're archived. I bet nobody knew that.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.