Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Adding editor as contributor?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G.G. (last edited May 23, 2017 02:14PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments On Facebook there is a discussion against adding an editor to the selling site such as Amazon. Apparently, adding it makes you look unprofessional since traditional publications don't do that.

What do you think? Do you do it or not?

I am NOT asking if you are using an editor or the good or bad about not using one. I don't want arguments about the use of one. I just want to know if you think readers might be turned off by that and if you think just mentioning it in a book is plenty enough.

message 2: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) There are two kinds of editors.

If you wrote a book and you hired an editor to do a structural edit, line edit, etc., you should not be adding that person as a 'contributor' to your book in KDP/Createspace/Goodreads/whatever.

If you are talking about an editor who has taken a classic, for example, and has added annotations and footnotes, preface, endnotes, commentary, study notes, or other content, then you should add that person as a contributor.

An example: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

Ask yourself, "Did this person add unique content to the book?" If so, they are a contributor. If you just contracted them to review your book for problems or mistakes, the answer is no, and you don't add them.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Thank you for asking this question, G.G. I see it a lot on Amazon with authors crediting their cover designer as well and wonder why. These names are clickable so you can see what else these people or companies have worked on.

P.D. I understand what you mean, but am curious to see if anyone here credits their editor and why. I wonder if it's something new and has become expected by the editing service.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I honestly would not for two reasons:

1. As you mentioned, trads don't.

2. This is fuels the whole gatekeeper issue. Whether or not a book has an editor listed should not be a factor in buying. Anyone may easily read a sample of the book to decide if the editing is up to their personal standards.

message 5: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I don't add it. I have seen it added along with the author's name on the actual product page and I've read advice saying it should be added--but the reason given is basically to show it has been proofread (and that came about because of reader complaints, perceptions, re no proofing, typos, where is the editor, etc.), so it is to get past that type of apprehension.

Often the traditional authors on the inside of the book will thank the agent, the editor, writer's group, etc., but never on the product page. The illustrator, again traditional, is on the inside, and that is because the illustrator is not up to the author. I asked if it could be up to the author and the answer was maybe if you are Stephen King. :) So most don't have input.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments G.G. - Again, thank you for asking this question I've wondered about myself.

P.D. Workman, Christina, and M.L. Roberts - Thank you for your explanations that make total sense. Because I've seen it recently on Amazon, I thought it was something new that had become expected among editors. I will be sure to thank whoever helps me on the inside of the book. Hugs

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I've removed mine. I thought it might help since a few reviews mentioned typos/wrong words etc.
Thanks guys for your input!