All About YA discussion

Read-A-Thons > June 2017 Read-A-Thon (June 5th-11th)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1232 comments Mod
Starting June 5th at 12:00 AM (in whatever Time Zone you are in) until June 11th at 11:59 PM (also in whatever Time Zone you are in) All About YA will be hosting another smashing Read-A-Thon! Won't you come and join us?

Challenges:

1. Read a Summery book
2. Read a book with your favorite color on it
3. Read a book under 300 pages
4. Read a book by an author who shares the same letter of your first name
5. Random! Choose whatever book you'd like!

message 2: by Daisy (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:19AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I can't believe it's taken me this long to take part in one of these, but I'm finally doing it! Yay! I do have two exams this week, but apart from revising for those and all, I should have a good amount of time for reading. These are the books I'm thinking of reading...
1. A Summery book: Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4) by Jeff Kinney

- I've got through one of these in a day before (very rare for me) and this is a re-read so I know I'll be able to get through it quickly. It takes place during the summer holidays and I think I remember it being one of my favourites of the series.

2. A book with your favourite colour on it: The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #1) by Liu Cixin

- My favourite colour is green, so I'd say this just about counts. It's not the lightest read but it's an audiobook which I'm already four hours into (it's fourteen hours overall). I think it'll be good to have an audiobook as a way to squeeze in reading when I can't actually sit down to read, and I've been really enjoying this one so far so again should be do-able.

3. A book under 300 pages: Tail Spin (My Brother the Werewolf, #4) by Sienna Mercer

- This is 242 pages, with pretty big text and really easy to read writing! Another re-read; it's one of my favourite books actually, so I'm pretty confident about this one too.

4. A book by an author who shares the same letter of your first name: The Truth About My Success by Dyan Sheldon

- This challenge was a little more difficult, but I managed to find this book that I've been meaning to read for aaages, ever since I got it as a present years ago. It was actually on my list of books I wanted to get to this year, plus it's YA (good to have at least one of those given the title of this group :D). I might try and get a bit of a start on this one before the read-a-thon starts, and since it's a contemporary I'll probably get through it quite fast.

5. Random: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

- Been reading this for a bit now and would love to power through and finish it in the read-a-thon. I'm loving the book, but it is quite long and slow for me to read, especially since I'm annotating it.... as you can probably tell from this comment, I'm rarely a girl of few words. :D

6. Another one I'm just going to throw in here: Midnight Hour by Mary Robinette Kowal

- I find Mary Robinette Kowal an interesting writer and I've heard this short story is amazing. You can listen to it for free in this podcast so I'll be doing that at some point just to get another book in!

...I think that's all I'll be able to get to. Sorry I went on so much, I'm just excited for this read-a-thon now! Would love to hear what books any of you are planning to read if you're participating. Let's do this thing!

message 3: by Daisy (last edited Jun 07, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
OK, so it's the end of Wednesday right now, this is how it's going for me so far:

I finished my first book, The Truth About My Success, yesterday. Wasn't all that impressed by the book itself (will have a review up eventually but I just spent about three hours on one so I'm drained for today!) but this is the shortest time I've taken to read a book in aaages. A pretty good start I'd say!

Today I also listened to all of Midnight Hour which I was quite impressed by. Think I'm going to give it four stars.

I've listened to about two and a half hours of The Three-Body Problem too (meaning I'm roughly six and a half hours through overall). I'm aiming for an hour minimum each day (not including today as I was listening to Midnight Hour) but there are a couple of things I think I can do towards the end of the week to get some larger sessions in. So I reckon I'm on track with this one, as for the story - it's just getting better and better!

That's the main progress right now, loving this readathon so far! :D

message 4: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
End of the readathon, and I managed to read all the books I planned to! This was a really great way of catching up with my immediate to-read list a little, and a great way to cool down after my exams last week. :) I'm still behind on reviews (the one downside of readathons!) so here's some brief thoughts on the last three books I read:

I was right, Dog Days was the most enjoyable of this series so far for me to read, so I got through it really quick and am really glad I picked it for the readathon.

The Three-Body Problem ended up being a really valuable read for me - I enjoyed it so much and learnt so much from it. <3 Didn't realise until now how fast I can get through audiobooks when I put my mind to it!

Pride and Prejudice was amaaazing, again so glad I got to this book. I actually ended up finishing all three of these books on the last day (I know, great planning), but it was OK because I really didn't have much of any of them to get through. This was the one I found myself pushing to finish at like half ten at night, but at least it wasn't midnight - and this book is totally worth it!