Start by marking “Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)

Dog Days

(Diary of a Wimpy Kid #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  113,462 ratings  ·  5,239 reviews
It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed "indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor
Published October 12th 2009 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Dog Days, please sign up.

·  113,462 ratings  ·  5,239 reviews

Start your review of Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4), c2009, Jeff Kinney

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is a novel written by American author and cartoonist Jeff Kinney, and is the fourth book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It was released on October 12, 2009 in the USA and October 13, 2009, in Canada.

The film, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, released on August 3, 2012, was based on the book and its predecessor, The Last Straw.

The book starts with Greg Heffley describing how he is more of an "indoor person
Archit Ojha
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks
And Dog Days they are.

Dog days : noun

" When everything you do, the universe some how conspires to undo. "

- My very own dog, Eva [in the figure above]

There is a new pet in the family and bringing something into the family without the wife's consent is a bad idea.

Bringing "something alive" is suicide. Regardless to say Sweetie did not survive the entire book without being shipped.

Humor is all yours to loot.

The hatred for the comic galvanizing Greg and Mr. Heffley is something we can very much
RandomAnthony
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this entire book on the sidelines of my eleven year old son's football game on a freezing October day in Wisconsin. I laughed so hard at parts that I think I disturbed some of the more intense observers of said game. That's ok. Middle school football is boring.

My favorite scenes from the book:

1. The idea that the wimpy kid and his dad are united in their hatred of a comic strip,
2. The email the wimpy kid sends his mom when he's on vacation with another family,
3. The one time he uses his e
Kenny Hernandez
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Greg has went to vaticon with with his best friend and greg got to go to got on the ride of his life . He scared the life out of hem.
Pooja
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-pages
Does the same person Gregory got troubles with, in his life ever going to stop their encounter with him?

And that's where the fun lies!
Gregory is having a summer time playing video game all day long. While his family is running after him to do something in summer.

His dad brings a dog to to family! Uh Uh He should have probably checked with his wife first! It's a family decision, isn't it?
Manny gets the dog saying Sweetie, and that's that!

Everyone is as fun as never before. Such a humorous rea
Kittykat797
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I personally think that this one is the best one out of the whole entire series!!
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This hilariously sharp comic book is written from the perspective of 11 year-old Greg, whose canny jokes and observations have become a series of popular books. Dog Days chronicles Greg's Summer holiday, which he wants to spend playing video games in his room, with the curtains shut and a cover over his head. Greg's mum, however, seems to think that Summer holidays should be spent doing 'useful things' such as running around outside, spending time with one's family and visiting the local pool.

Th
Mrs.
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Plan to finish this today! I like this much better than "The Last Straw". Anyone out there who has read the Wimpy Kid series agree or disagree? So far, my favorite part is Rowley thinking that Greg's family is rich because they ran out of toilet paper and were using Christmas napkins until Dad went to get more TP. Been there done that!
Janete
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 is much better than Book 3!
Shaina
This one made me actually laugh a lot. I genuinely worry about Greg but he does have some funny things happen to him. Someone talk to his mom!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Greg Heffley wants to spend his summer indoors, relaxing, playing video games with his friend, Rowley, and watching late-night horror films. His mom has other ideas, however. She wants him to spend time with the family, improving his education, and playing outdoors.

Greg tries to implement his ideas of summer, but without much success. He tries to spend time with Rowley kicking back at his friend's father's country club, but gets permanently uninvited when h
Eddy N
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
This book is the 4th edition of the diary of a wimpy kid. It talks about how greg in is normal life explains everyday moment he spends and reflects on it. Greg's dream is to stay home and play video games but his mom disaproves with that so she kicks him out of the house the whole day so he could go and play games. Greg didn't like that idea he was just thinking staying home playing video games with chips and the curtains closed.

I can make a text to text connection on this book because works h
Sandy Trand
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you would want to know how a life of a unfortanate teenager goes? Then read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. It is about a kid who is in middle school and faces a lot of problems. He faces pretty much faces all the problems you could think of. The main character Greg Heffrey is stuck as a middle child and a social outcast. His younger brother Manny and his older brother Rodrick drive him absulutly nuts with their crazy ways of doing things. His best friend Rowlery Jefferson and own a lot o ...more
Tej P
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days
By: Jeff Kinney
Realistic Fiction
216 Pages

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days is a book about A kid named Greg Heffley. He is funny. This book is about how Greg Heffly spends his summer. But Greg Heffley doesn't spend his summer out side. He stays inside and plays video games. But Greg's mom doesn't like him playing video games. But she thinks of having family vacation and doing activities together. Greg and his friend Rowley do weird stuff during summer vacation. Greg's mo
Ardent Reader
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such an easy, quick and fun read.

Was better than the last book.
[Shai] Bibliophage
I was expecting that this 4th book could have loads of funny stories of Greg with a dog(s). I know expected too much but despite that, I did enjoy the diary entries written. I was just a little disappointed that Greg and his family didn't have that many happy memories with Sweetie while the dog is with them. But at least, his Grandma was able to keep the dog in the end. Maybe some are not really a dog person/people after all.
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is my first read from Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series and I enjoyed it along with my children. It is a fun read about Greg, "an indoor kid" and his mom trying to make him stay away from the screens. During the summer holidays, Greg is spending time with the family and his best friend, getting himself into a lot of troubles.
Jacob R.
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book in my opinion is great. It takes us back to those good old days of elementry and middle school. Even knowing a few of these events have actually happened to us. Filling sorry for the kid one second laughing at his wierd side the next, this book will keep you reading.

THis book relates to our lives in many ways, it reminds of those kids that where kind of off, and tells us some of there stories. Of course, these stories get as off and crazy, sometimes i even wonder if there is a plot!
Mel Mel
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing

this book has to be funny.
Look at the cover how can you not say no!!
Close Enough
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: english
in this book  Greg  was grounded  because he watched the muddy hand movie with his friend Rowley without the permission of his parents, so he was supposed to join his mom reading club in the neighbourhood ,eventually the club was down to one member , that was Greg !
He spent an horrible vacation with  Rowely's familly ; he got into a lot of troubles during that summer ..
The book was not funny at all at least for me , but it still easy read
Valeria De La Rosa
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think that the book Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days was a very relate able.I think my whole class will enjoy this book very much because of the humor and the situations they might relate to.What I don't like is that every book has a different story that doesn't continue from the last one so it's like a gap between each book. My two most favorite parts would be when Greg's parents tell him that they got him a phone but they actually got him this cheap lady bug phone and when Greg's parents bought ...more
Justin
Feb 19, 2020 added it
This book is about his summer and how he spends it. He wants to spend it with video games in the dark but that doesn't happen.
Kaoru Hamaguchi
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sergio
Recommended to Kaoru by: by me
In this story it is summer time and there is birthday for Greg. It looks nice for him ,but it is start of terrible time. Begging of Summer vacation Greg has 3 things that he want to do in his summer.First is going to beach second is day of end of "L'il Cutie" ,But son of Author have start new L'il Cutie He didn't fun at it. Second is Birth day ,but He didn't got good present and his uncle's dog ate birth day cake so he felled sad good thing is he was able to get fish for another present that ea ...more
Cassidy
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Diary of a wimpy kid (dog days) is about Greg and how he wants to spend his summer. He wants to sit inside all day and watch t.v. and play video games but his mom had other plans for him. She wants him to go outside and be active but he definitely doesn't like that. His parents want him to be more responsible. So he gets a job, well actually a fake job at the country club. He makes his family think he has a job while he relaxes all day at the country club. But things soon get complicated when he ...more
Tung
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
The fourth installment of the Wimpy Kid series focused on the life of middle school student Greg Heffley. Like the other books, this book is told via journal entries peppered with illustrations to enhance the humor. I found the first book hysterical, the second one less so, and the third possibly the best of the first three. I found Dog Days to be by far the worst of the series. The book focuses on the summer adventures of Greg, and somehow the removal of Greg from school also sapped much of the ...more
Kate
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am helping to moderate a children's book club this summer and this is the boys' first selection. While I bought some of this series for one of my sons, who was completely delighted by Gregg Heffley, I had never read a book completely. I get why he is such a popular kid and why the boys want to read about him, but I am not the audience or a fan. Part of this is that the book is told from his perspective and Gregg is very good at not taking responsibility for his bad behavior and mistakes. I can ...more
Trixie
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5/5! I kept laughing out loud...literally. Need I say more?
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best in the series👍
Greg thinks he is really smart but his life goes worse.
He is manipulative yet ny now he realizes his so called best friend is not that dumb as he thinks. I so hope h8s attitude changes in the later books.
The book is so damn funny👍
Mya Edgecomb
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emma705
I think overall in this book Greg is not truthful. He writes everything in a diary and doesn't say anything, he always tricks his supposedly best friend in to doing things for him, and he lies to his parents. It seems to me he isn't a very loyal person.
Some people think they are so superior so they can just put other people down. And they are the greatest, and they use it to their advantage. By tricking the ones they love, lying to the people who are always there for them. And being manipulative

• Diary of a Wimpy Kid
  • Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1)
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4)
  • Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl (Dork Diaries, #2)
  • Big Nate on a Roll (Big Nate Novels, #3)
  • Diario De Greg 3 - Esto es el colmo
  • Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (Captain Underpants, #10)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Talented Pop Star (Dork Diaries, #3)
  • Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds (Captain Underpants, #3)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All (Dork Diaries, #5)
  • Out Loud (Big Nate)
  • Big Nate: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
  • The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1)
Jeff Kinney is an author of children's books including Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series. Jeff was born in College Park, Maryland, in 1971 where he created a comic strip called "Igdoof."He also created the children's website 'Poptropica'.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #3)
  • The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #5)
  • Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #6)
  • The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7)
  • Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #8)
  • The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #9)
  • Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #10)
  • Double Down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #11)