Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-thon #1 - Wrap-up

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Aaaannd... That's it! After 7 days of frantic reading, the first read-a-thon of 2017 is over! We hope you had a wonderful time!
Here are a few questions to wrap the week up:

1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions?

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts?

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon?

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons?

You're welcome to go back and do any of the challenges/games you're interested in that you may have missed!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I read a total of 626 pages of physical books, and listened to 75% of Lolita as an audiobook, so whatever the equivalent is in pages.

I didn't really set any goals in terms of number of pages or books. At the halfway point, my goal was to finish The Postmistress (which I did), and to squeeze in one more book, which I did as well although it was a bit of a cheat -- I purposely picked a graphic novel which I knew I would be able to finish quickly.

Yes! My favourite part was the Bingo game.

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon?Baba Yaga's Assistant. But I also really enjoyed Lolita a lot more than I thought I would.

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
It was probably just me since I had a hectic week and very little time to devote to the read-a-thon, but I found some of the games this time a little confusing. I wasn't a big fan of the Scrabble game because it was too much effort for me this week, and I couldn't participate at all in the I Spy game because none of my books applied to the last post that was made, so I couldn't continue the thread. I would love to see more book tags, and another Bingo game!

Yes, definitely. I can't guarantee how much time I'll have to devote to it. It's been a crazy year so far, but I would love to participate.

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1521 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? I finished reading two books that I was already half through. I started listening to an audio. I read a short story and I also read two complete books. I ended up reading 1,053 pages.

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Yes I met them except for starting Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose Distractions were work and my son's soccer games.

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? I did have fun and I even managed to get a BINGO.

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? It's a toss up between Dark Matter and Everything, Everything

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? It was great for me and I'm not that creative so I can't come up with anything to add.

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? yes most definitely

message 4: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished 4 books and read a total of 1653 pages.

I had no set goal for the read-a-thon so I'm more than satisfied with my result.

I always enjoy reading so yes and the games were fun too.

Rereading the last two books about Harry Hole and starting the new book

No, like Joan said I'm not that creative myself so I don 't have any new ideas

If it is at a time of year where I'm not too busy then yes

message 5: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I've finished only A Court of Wings and Ruin (536 pages), from How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease I've read 79 pages and 22 pages of Jane Eyre
That makes a total of 637 pages.

No I didn't. A bunch of different things kept me distracted.

Yes I had :) The bingo was fun.

ACOWAR

No, everything was fine. You guys did a great job :)

Of course!

message 6: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?

One book finished and 633 pages read.

No, I wanted to finish another book and I intended to throw a Graphic Novel in there somewhere. Biggest distractions were work and sleep.

Of the games, the Bingo and Scrabble were great. All of my reading was good, as I managed to select 3 good reads.

I'm leaning toward The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet but Ubik could beat it out if it has a solid ending.

If you could align them with my vacations, that would be great. :)

Absolutely.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? I finished 4 books and 2 graphic novels for a total of 1500 pages and listened to 2 audiobooks (13 hours)

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? My goal was finishing all the books I had started, which I did, so I'm super happy!
I barely read this week-end, exploring our new city was the biggest distraction (I climbed a volcano today <3)

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? I most definitely had fun, especially with simply reading without guilt (this was my last true week of holiday before actively looking for a job and I savored it).

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Not my favorite, but I was the most proud of finishing War and Peace!

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? As a mod I'll skip this question ;)

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Yes of course, I love them!

message 8: by Silvia (last edited May 21, 2017 04:23AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? Three, but two were graphic novels. I finished with one thick book and started a new one. I read 746 pages putting together the four books

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? My main goal was finish a book that I had been reading fo too long and I did. I had many distractions, especially related to some celebration that took at least two and half day of my time and a lot of homework for the last day of a course I was taking.

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? Oh, yes, I did, especially with all the games!

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening. It was a curious story and the art is beautiful.

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? I think everything was great . I don't have any suggestions.

Yes, and I hope I can do it better next time.

message 9: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited May 21, 2017 04:36AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?

So my totals are: 445 pages and 30% on audio

I finished 2 books that I had in progress, Brown Girl Dreaming(120pgs) and The Dry(60pgs), read one chapter of Misty of Chincoteague(15 pages) and listened to 30% of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life. I also started The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, and read 250 pages (50%).

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) by Marguerite Henry The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin

I didn't necessarily have a goal ( well OK I was hoping to knock off my currently reading list, but I knew that was unrealistic). I am happy that I finished off 2 books for my challenges, but I was really hoping to finish The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, because I am REALLY enjoying it, and I want to see what direction it is going to take. I will probably end up reading the whole series ( I didn't realize it was one, but I'm excited that it is).

Distractions, Distractions...... Kids, new job, house training puppy.
Oh, then theres this whole drama with trying to reconcile with my ex.....that made for a super interesting evening last night, no reading done.

And I started and almost completed decoupaging a book shelf for my room....with pages from old books :-)

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? It was fun to see everyone participating in the posts and games and also to get a glimpse of what everyone was reading. I tried to jump in here and there when I could, but mostly I just appreciated setting an intention to read as much as possible and accomplishing a little bit.

Everything I have read this week has been really good, but my fav is definitely The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

I would just like to jump in on another one. I think the mods did an awesome job keeping everyone motivated and engaged.

Absolutely!!!

You're welcome to go back and do any of the challenges/games you're interested in that you may have missed!

reply | flag *

message 10: by Zaz (last edited May 21, 2017 07:20AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
4 novels, 1 graphic novel, 1 manga, 1 short story.
Around 1020 pages (+488p for the graphic novel/manga).

Yes, I wanted to finish some stuff and to continue a not compelling one. Distractions were work and one of my cats.

Not in a fun mood, but it was nice to look at the games and to read. Favorite parts: checking stuff in the bingo and reading.

Nothing outstanding, just enjoyed a lot the re-read of The Drawing of the Three.

Nope, the mods worked well and I enjoyed the new games.

If I'm available, yes.

message 11: by Kathy (last edited May 21, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Kathy | 2157 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
6 books, 942 pages

I met my goals of finishing 4 books I had already started and reading 2 books from start to finish.

I like seeing what everyone is reading. Also Bingo.

Bridget Jones's Diary was very entertaining.

The mods did a great job. I liked the variety of games.

Yes!

message 12: by Brooke (last edited May 21, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Brooke | 223 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished 376 pgs of The Circle
I started & finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (343 pgs) and Salt to the Sea (393 pgs).
And I started but haven't quite finished AWOL on the Appalachian Trail (243 pgs), Summer Sisters (297 pgs) and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (70 pgs).

I didn't set goals at the start of this; I just wanted to see how much I could accomplish. But I would say that lately I've been reading roughly 3 books/week, and I exceeded that with the added motivation of the read-a-thon. My biggest distraction was work. I had early mornings this week, working most days until around 6-7pm. And I didn't get to read much while eating lunch like I usually do.

I did have fun. No favorite part, other than checking books off of the TBR a little faster than usual.

I liked feeling accountable for getting a certain number of pages read (even though I didn't set a page goal for myself). My competitive edge came out, I guess.

I didn't participate in any of the games, so I can't comment on those. But I can say that as long as I am available and not under too much stress with work, I'll participate in a future read-a-thon!

message 13: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett i read 4 books so i am happy i got some off my TBR

lets have a 4 month read-a-thon that would be cool

message 14: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?

I only finished one graphic novel (Locke & Key Vol 1). I almost completed all of A Closed and Common Orbit as well. I read bits of two other books during the week as well.

I didnt really have an actual goal this time other than to read a bit every day and I did that. I am still having a hard time coming out of the reading slump I was in for the last month.

It was fun but a stuggle for me this time around.

Probably a Closed and Common Orbit but Locke & Key was very good too.

I agree with the person above who mentioned the games were a bit confusing this time around. They also felt time consuming which was taking away from reading time so I passed on them. I woukd like to go back to the simpler read-a-thons that we used to have but thats just me I guess.

Probably in some capacity.

message 15: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I ended up finishing two books, and all up read about 500 pages. Not great, but I'm still slumping pretty hard.

I wanted to finish Tender Is the Night, and I did. I would have liked to have read more, but again, slump. :(

I'll admit, I wasn't as into it this time as I have been before. I think I prefer the group challenges - the BINGO is much more fun as part of a group, especially for the categories where you have to finish a book to check it off. It can be a lot of pages for one little tick!

The one chapter that I read with the Spider of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

I wouldn't mind the BINGO to be changed to just reading a book with X, rather than having to finish a book with X. That's just my own personal preference though, as I tend to spread myself pretty thin over a large number of books at a time! I'm also not a huge fan of a lot of the games, but that's just me.

Yes, I like the group ones much more.

(Sorry, this is a bit negative ... my reading slump has totally affected my enjoyment of all things reading related!)

message 16: by Samantha (last edited May 21, 2017 09:45AM) (new)

Samantha | 902 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? I finished 3 books and 66% of another with a total of 881 pages. Oh and I had 2 1/2 Hours of Audiobook.

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? I wanted to finish Pride and Prejudice but I also thought it was less than 200 pages so my plan failed. I did get 66% through and should finish today. I was a lot busier this week then I thought I would be so life got in the way.

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? This was my first read-a-thon and enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the games in particular the you're not good enough game.

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? I would say Roanoke Girls.

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? I thought of one thing after posting. Because there is not set time for these to take place it could be easy not to notice the announcement in time to participate. It might be good to send out a group message to let people know it is taking place.

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? I hope so.

message 17: by Thegirlintheafternoon (last edited May 21, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

Thegirlintheafternoon 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished 3 books (Homer & Langley, The Magic of Ordinary Days, and The End of Your Life Book Club) and made progress on 2 others (Bleaker House: Chasing My Novel to the End of the World and Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life), for a total of approximately 1000 pages and 3.5 hours of listening.

Not quite - I'd hoped to finish the audiobook I'm listening to. But otherwise I did fairly well! My biggest distraction was that I was traveling, and while that meant plenty of reading-on-the-plane time, it also meant a pretty full itinerary of activities. Secondary distraction: Stanley Cup playoffs. (All in for P.K.!)

Absolutely! It was good motivation to keep reading when I would otherwise just have been playing on my phone.

Hmm...I didn't LOVE anything I finished, but I enjoyed Homer & Langley.

I second the call for group announcements!

Definitely!