Baker Street Irregulars discussion

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Group and Buddy Reads > Group Read: A Beekeeper's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B This is the thread for a group read of The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

We will be starting soon. Read at your own pace, posting whatever you would like to discuss. When you post, please indicate the chapter and "spoiler" if appropriate! HAVE FUN!!!!

Charity Starting now! Yay!

Charity I like the thought that Holmes isn't so alone in his intellectual pursuits, and that Mrs. Hudson is finally looked upon with admiration.

Charity I'm not finished yet, am I the only one?

Charity I loved the first meeting, it makes me laugh every time. The awe, anger, pride, and arrogance Russell shows is so teenager.

message 6: by Finnesko (new)

Finnesko | 1 comments I couldn't agree more with Alexandra's analysis that King's version makes Russell "the new Holmes" and demotes Holmes to practically a "sidekick" status. Since Doyle's evidently the foundation, it doesn't do for a modern pasticheur to act *too* superior to him.

One aspect I didn't much like was the revelation of Russell's past. (Not to give too much away, but something that guilt-inducing is likely to have a formative effect on a young child of repression and depression... rather than the wholly-confident, india-rubber obnoxiousness displayed by Russell when she first meets Holmes.)

I suppose it all depends on whether you like the character of Mary Russell or not. If you do like her, there are definite plus points to TBA and others in this series: King has an intelligent and elegant prose style, and Holmes fans will delight in spotting the shout-outs to other stories.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurie R. King (other topics)