The Sword and Laser discussion

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
Long Way to a Small Angry Planet > LWSAP: Something is off...? Not really

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Drew (fudderduds) | 18 comments I'm almost done (I have about 15% left) and I think I have figured out what has been bugging me.

I mean, I'm enjoying the book, but something just didn't feel right. Granted, I had just come off a Vorkosigan binge read.

LWSAP reads like a TV show! Almost every chapter is like an episode of a TV show. There's a series arc (the journey to Hedra Ka), there are character arcs, and there are episode arcs. Each chapter is mostly self-contained with a focus on just a few characters as their backstories are revealed and their relationships with each other are developed.

It's an interesting way to write a sci-fi space opera. I am really enjoying it. I hope the ending is great. *fingers crossed*

Trike | 4462 comments It is pretty episodic. My one major issue with the story is that the crew hears about something and then it happens. Exactly like the set-up/pay-off of an episode in a TV series.

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments Yep, the book reminded me a lot of the structure of the video game Mass Effect 2, which is itself very episodic and set up like a TV show. (The structure wasn't the only thing that reminded me of ME!) Meet a new squadmate, learn more about that squadmate in a "loyalty mission" of sorts, repeat.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2115 comments As an old school RPG player it had overtones of Firefly in that both read like Traveller fan fiction. Not necessarily a bad thing, after all George R. R. Martin's Wild Card books are Champions fan fiction.

message 5: by Trike (last edited May 15, 2017 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trike | 4462 comments AndrewP wrote: "As an old school RPG player it had overtones of Firefly in that both read like Traveller fan fiction. Not necessarily a bad thing, after all George R. R. Martin's Wild Card books are Champions fan fiction."

Come to that, Firefly is Traveller fan fiction. And to Tobias drawing a parallel to Mass Effect, I did that, too. To shamelessly quote my own review:
One might be tempted to compare it to famous and familiar sci-fi worlds. It's a little like Firefly, it's a little like Cowboy Bebop, it's a little like Mass Effect, it's a little like Farscape, it's a little like Ringworld, it's a little like Well World... Which ultimately means it's its own thing.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Brendan (mistershine) | 880 comments (view spoiler)

Trike | 4462 comments Yup.

And Chambers herself has said that she modeled the multispecies marketplace after the one in Farscape.

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2390 comments Trike, I think the only one you missed is that it's a little bit cooooountry...and a little bit rock and roooooolllllll..... *guitar solo*

Trike | 4462 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Trike, I think the only one you missed is that it's a little bit cooooountry...and a little bit rock and roooooolllllll..... *guitar solo*"

Oh my god you're old.

Trike | 4462 comments For those too young to get the joke, John is talking about the Donny and Marie Show. We used to LOVE this stuff back in the day. Simpler times.

https://youtu.be/_AfXznngjGw

41 years ago. Oh my god I'm old.

message 11: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 920 comments What kind of music do you usually have here?

Oh, we have both types.... Country and Western.

message 12: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 940 comments AndrewP wrote: "As an old school RPG player it had overtones of Firefly in that both read like Traveller fan fiction. Not necessarily a bad thing, after all George R. R. Martin's Wild Card books are Champions fan ..."

I was thinking it reminded me of the Alternity RPG from the 90's. I've got the urge to dig it out and look it over again.

Jessica (J-Boo) | 150 comments Yes, the AI story arc reminded me very much of ME:2, with Joker and what's her name

message 14: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil (philbyy) | 1 comments I think the episodic structure fits the subject matter though! Most days aboard the Wayfarer would be very 'routine', so the episodes allow for both personal plots and the overarching story to move forward without getting bogged down in mundanity.

message 15: by Don (new) - rated it 4 stars

Don | 80 comments I thought the over arching plot of the trip to the angry planet to tunnel back paid off. I enjoyed the episodic storytelling, though Ohan's story resolved too quickly. Still it was fun to meet all the crew.
I liked the conclusion. I dislike cliffhangers and this seemed set up for it. I haven't played the games mentioned, but the book had the optimism of Star Trek or Firefly. Refreshing!

unread topics | mark unread