Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Jim Butcher

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just started listening to the first Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher,Storm Front. I am really enjoying it so far. I'm about 1/3 of the way in. James Marsters does an amazing job reading it! He just has such a great voice, and really gives life to the character.

Have others read this series? Do they keep getting better?

message 2: by Jess (last edited Aug 01, 2009 05:21PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm up to the fourth book I think? I like the series.. but sometimes it got a little confusing with what the heck was going on. But everyone keeps raving about the audiobook version, so I was thinking I might get the 4th on audiobook and see if it makes it less confusing.

Plus I love James Marsters voice :)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I loved Storm Front on audio. James Marsters was a perfect choice for Harry. He gets the sarcasm and the tone down perfectly.

I have Fool Moon loaded on audio, but I haven't started it yet.

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) His wife just came out with a PNR book too. Apparently its good.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I've read them all and also listened to all that are available on audio so far. Hated the first book until I listened to it and James Marsters just brought it to life. I love when he does Bob! The books get better and better and Harry has become like an old friend to me.

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just finished the first book. Marsters does a fantastic job! I just love the way that he portrayed Dresden! Can't wait to start #2!

message 7: by Cassy (new)

Cassy Kennedy | 4 comments a little off topic, but isn't james marsters Spike on Buffy? I enjoyed the entire series. It's like a mystery with witches and werewolfes as the culprit. Have any of you watched the Tv series?

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yep! Loved him on the show, and love him as the narrator for this series!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Cassy wrote: "a little off topic, but isn't james marsters Spike on Buffy? I enjoyed the entire series. It's like a mystery with witches and werewolfes as the culprit. Have any of you watched the Tv series? "

Yes, he was Spike!! And he's still one of my VERY favorite vampires ever!! I watched The Dresden Files TV series, and it was awful! About the only thing it had in common with the books was Harry was a wizard. I thought Kelley's answer was maybe a little confusing. James Marsters wasn't on the Dresden Files show.

message 10: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments oh, sorry! I was a bit tired when I answered, should have been more clear! I've actually never seen the Dresden Files, and by the sounds of it, that's not a bad thing. but I loved Buffy, and Angel. The last season of Angel with Spike on there was classic.

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kelley Anne wrote: "oh, sorry! I was a bit tired when I answered, should have been more clear! I've actually never seen the Dresden Files, and by the sounds of it, that's not a bad thing. but I loved Buffy, and Ang..."

The last season of Angel was the only one that I watched the whole season. And that was only because of Spike!

message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I loved Angel too, so I had to watch the entire season. David Boreanz (I think that's how to spell it) is another fav or mine. I started watching Bones strictly because of him. Now I love the show, but he really adds to it!

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kelley Anne wrote: "I loved Angel too, so I had to watch the entire season. David Boreanz (I think that's how to spell it) is another fav or mine. I started watching Bones strictly because of him. Now I love the s..."

I liked the Angel character, but liked Spike so much better. Boreanaz was the reason I started watching Bones, too. I wanted to see how he'd do in the role. Now I hardly ever think of him as Angel anymore!

message 14: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) I love all of Jim Butcher's books. My son and I fight over who gets to read them first. His Dresden books are a fresh change from the usual urban fantasy and his series Codex Alera has lots of depth and great characters.

message 15: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I was thinking about reading thme but I heard the first one is bad :P

message 16: by Melodie (last edited Aug 13, 2009 08:23PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kyle wrote: "I was thinking about reading thme but I heard the first one is bad :P"

STORM FRONT is not good, but if you can get the audio James Marsters makes it good. The 2nd book is much better and they get better from there. I tried the first Codex book, but the series is just not my cuppa.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Kyle, I do not agree that Storm Front is bad, I enjoyed all the books in the Dresden Files. I will not argue that the books get better after Storm Front, but it's not a bad book. I think that it's an interesting look into the way Harry lived (mini-spoiler) before he became more involved with the police and the white council.

If you really don't want to read the book and don't like/want audio books, you can always read the graphic novel adaptations. (storm front vol 2 is due out on 10/27). It might be a shorter way to get the gist of what happens in the first book.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I liked the graphic novel Welcome to the Jungle, but I've heard lots of people say the Dresden gn adaptations were disappointing. I have only read Storm Front and Welcome to the Jungle, so that is all I have to base my opinion on, but I like everything so far. Wonder why the disappointment? Can anyone explain?

message 19: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Sarah wrote: "I liked the graphic novel Welcome to the Jungle, but I've heard lots of people say the Dresden gn adaptations were disappointing. I have only read Storm Front and Welcome to the Jungle, so that is ..."

The only Dresden graphic I've read is WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE which really wasn't my thing. The only graphic novels I've ever really enjoyed are the Buffy the Vampire Slayer ones. Other than STORM FRONT (and as I've said, when I got it in audio my opinion changed), I love the Harry Dresden books. It's one series I stay caught up on. Had a friend not absolutely insisted I give the series another shot after hating STORM FRONT when I read the paper & ink version I would have missed out on some really great books!

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I generally enjoy graphic novels so I enjoyed both Storm Front 1 and Welcome to the Jungle.

message 21: by Enjee (new)

Enjee | 56 comments I have read all the Dresden books and I have enjoyed them all. I did not get into the Codex books, though. I think what I like best about the Dresden books is the details on the wizard part. What the staff is for, his basement lab, the copper circle in the floor, the 7 components of a potion. And I love everything about Mister and Mouse (he shows up later in the series).

message 22: by Raffaele (new)

Raffaele | 17 comments harry dresden is an awesome character. I've read the first 3 of the dresden files so far and think that the 3rd one (grave peril?) was my least favorite. Only about halfway through the 4th one (summer knight) but it has me grasped as the first two did.

I saw someone mention the TV show earlier in this thread...yeah...not missing anything by not watching hahaha.

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Raffaele wrote: "harry dresden is an awesome character. I've read the first 3 of the dresden files so far and think that the 3rd one (grave peril?) was my least favorite. Only about halfway through the 4th one (s..."

It's funny how we all have such diverse opinions. GRAVE PERIL is one my favorites in the series!

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I also kind of disliked Grave Peril

message 25: by Raffaele (new)

Raffaele | 17 comments melodie - have you read the entire series? I wonder if Harry's working relationship with the council ever improves.

jess - it was a certain kind of dull, found it to be somewhat predictable, which is not a good quality to have in a book.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah but because I was so bored with Grave Peril, it makes me put the other books on hold and I'm not as interested in reading them as other books

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Raffaele wrote: "melodie - have you read the entire series? I wonder if Harry's working relationship with the council ever improves.

jess - it was a certain kind of dull, found it to be somewhat predictable, whic..."

Yes, Harry Dresden is one series I'm always current on, so I've read them all including short stories and the WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE graphic novel. His relationship with the Council definitely changes, he finds relatives, gains a dog...........lots of things happen. This is one series that really does get better as it goes.

message 28: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 14 comments Jess wrote: "Yeah but because I was so bored with Grave Peril, it makes me put the other books on hold and I'm not as interested in reading them as other books"

I really enjoyed the series but as someone who read through the entire extant series at the time I read the first one (about 3 books ago) I will say I think it improves if you space it out a little.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Storm Front (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Butcher (other topics)