Gore and More discussion

Group Read: Guest Author Invite > April 2017 Group Read with guest author Glenn Rolfe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
This is the thread for the group read of Becoming with guest author, Glenn Rolfe. We'll be starting the read on April 10th and Glenn has been kind enough to drop the price on Amazon down to $2.99 for the month in honor of our group read! Many thanks to Glenn. That was very nice of him. Please help me give Glenn a warm welcome and don't forget to use spoiler tags and page/percentage markers in your posts. Welcome to Gore and More, Glenn!

message 2: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Thanks for having me, Ken. Can't wait to get started. Reviews have been great so far, and this is definitely one of my favorite pieces I've written.
Hope you all have fun.

message 3: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) Purchased and ready to go. This will be my first Glenn Rolfe book. Excited to check this out!

message 4: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Troy wrote: "Purchased and ready to go. This will be my first Glenn Rolfe book. Excited to check this out!"

That's great! Thanks, Troy. Hope you enjoy it.

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I am looking forward to this one.
I am new to your books too, but am excited to be able to pick your brain a bit as we read. Thanks for doing this!

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Hey Glenn. For those members that aren't familiar with you or your work, can you give them a little info about yourself?

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 41 comments Mahalo Glenn for the discount! Iook forward to reading it.

message 8: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Vicki wrote: "I am looking forward to this one.
I am new to your books too, but am excited to be able to pick your brain a bit as we read. Thanks for doing this!"

Thanks, Vicki. I hope you have fun. I certainly did. Pick away!

message 9: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments ( Tiffany April) RM wrote: "Mahalo Glenn for the discount! Iook forward to reading it. "
You're very welcome, Tiffany. Thanks for grabbing a copy.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) It sounds very good. Just purchased e-book.

message 11: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "It sounds very good. Just purchased e-book."
Thanks, Erin! See you in the chat? ;)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Glenn wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "It sounds very good. Just purchased e-book."
Thanks, Erin! See you in the chat? ;)"

Definitely :)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 44 comments Snagged my copy! Also- I love to use the word, 'snagged'! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 14: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Snagged my copy! Also- I love to use the word, 'snagged'! --Jen from Quebec :0)"
Thanks for taking a chance on me, Jennifer. :)

message 15: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Just a note– I was alerted to a few punctuation errors that my both myself and my editor missed. I am getting those fixed as we speak. Sorry about that.

message 16: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I'm hoping to get to this one.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Glenn wrote: "Just a note– I was alerted to a few punctuation errors that my both myself and my editor missed. I am getting those fixed as we speak. Sorry about that."

That's okay, we shall survive! ;)

message 18: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Thanks, Erin. :) And please join us, Kellie. This might be my favorite story I've written.

message 19: by Kellie (last edited Apr 07, 2017 11:33AM) (new)

Kellie | 150 comments It sounds really good Glenn!

message 20: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Kellie wrote: "It sounds really good Glenn!"
Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 12 comments Happy to join in!

message 22: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Jason wrote: "Happy to join in!"
Glad to have aboard, Mr. Parent. And I didn't see you in Salem the other night. What's up? JK, we'll meet up soon.

message 23: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Can't wait to get started! See you guys soon.

message 24: by Kenneth (new)

Starting this Bad Boy tonight. Glenn, the cover grabs you with it's uniqueness. What can you tell us about it?

message 25: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Ken wrote: "Starting this Bad Boy tonight. Glenn, the cover grabs you with it's uniqueness. What can you tell us about it?"

Thanks, Ken. I was in a band back in 2010. We had a short tour to New York and back scheduled that our bassist couldn't make since he was in Ireland. A friend, Jason Lynch, offered to go with us. He learned the tunes in a few days and took all the abuse we dished upon him for the four day stretch. Fast forward to 2013. Jason was an amazing artist before he filled in with us. I approached him about doing some cover art for a serial novel I was working on. He's gone on to be my #1 choice for covers ever since. The BECOMING cover came totally from Jason without any direction from me. I sent him a chapter to read, and this masterpiece is what he sent back to me. I love it, It's like nothing I've ever seen. Jason is amazing. He's currently at work on the full wrap around for the print edition, which we hope to have available in the next two weeks.

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I started this one last night (I am at 20%) and I have to say it plays on a childhood fear of mine (view spoiler).
I thought it started off very fast. It grabbed me and then I realized (view spoiler)
Great beginning... I love (view spoiler)

message 27: by Glenn (last edited Apr 11, 2017 03:16PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Vicki wrote: "I started this one last night (I am at 20%) and I have to say it plays on a childhood fear of mine [spoilers removed].
I thought it started off very fast. It grabbed me and then I realized [spoile..."

An old and lingering fear of mine, as well. Especially now that I have kids! :)

message 28: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 31 comments I just bought the kindle edition. Starting it tonight. You can thank Vicki and her spoiler comment (I took a peek), because I have a thing about that too. Now I have to read it, plus I always love checking out a new author.

message 29: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Jessie wrote: "I just bought the kindle edition. Starting it tonight. You can thank Vicki and her spoiler comment (I took a peek), because I have a thing about that too. Now I have to read it, plus I always love ..."
Sweet! Thanks, Jessie. (and thanks, Vicki)

message 30: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments New note. Anyone who is extremely sensitive to errors in books, if you purchased Becoming already, and want a clean version, let me know. I've gone through and corrected some things. If you are enjoying the story and feel fine, keep on reading. :) And fire away with them questions.
-Glenn

message 31: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I am at 35% now and I like how it feels like (view spoiler)
I am wondering (view spoiler)

My question for Glenn:
When you are writing a book, do you write one at a time or do you have more than one project going at a time. Do you have a like a daily writing schedule or is it more flexible than that?

message 32: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Vicki wrote: "I am at 35% now and I like how it feels like old school past to me (what is that? the 80's lol), even though it takes place in the present.
I also like the references to current pop culture. That ..."

Hey, Vicki. I tend to be working on multiple projects at any given time. I have a couple of novels going right now, and also a new novella.
As for a writing schedule...not at the moment. I don't write everyday like some authors. but I do read everyday. I really wish I could, but my life doesn't work that way. I work full-time, I have three kiddos (the youngest is 4), and a wonderful wife that deserves as much of my time as I can squeeze in. Once my youngest is in school, I'll probably set up a daily routine, but for now, I just write in 2-3 hour patches here and there, whenever I have some quiet time.
-Glenn

message 33: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) I'm DIGGING this book so far. I finally got around to starting Becoming this morning and I can't put it down. The action picks up right away. I'm 35% into the book, and there have literally been no lulls.

There is a scene that takes place in a bathroom that is the creepiest thing I've read or scene in a long time (view spoiler)

There is a reference to a 1970s movie about a motel with a guest-eating alligator in the back. Glenn, are you referring to Eaten Alive? That flick is a guilty pleasure of mine!

message 34: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Chapter 29
Soooo good...

Very tense... (view spoiler)

@Troy - totally agreed!

message 35: by Glenn (last edited Apr 15, 2017 08:14PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Troy wrote: "I'm DIGGING this book so far. I finally got around to starting Becoming this morning and I can't put it down. The action picks up right away. I'm 35% into the book, and there have literally been no..."
Glad you're into it, Troy. And yes, Eaten Alive is a favorite of mine. Had to get it in there somehow. :) I love how Tobe Hooper movies (especially his 70's and 80's stuff) worked on your nerves while watching them. I wanted to bring some of that to the written word. Some of that frenzied horror. The scene you mentioned has a bit of that going on.

message 36: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Vicki wrote: "Chapter 29
Soooo good...

Very tense... when he went down to the basement looking for the journal. So descriptive I was holding my breath!

Also, it was a good thing Michele's Dad taught her to dri..."

Vicki, that was one of my favorite scenes to write in the book. There's just so much you can do with a scene like that. Obviously, as a writer, you try and put yourself there and imagine the atmosphere. Hearing that you got it right and brought the reader with you, that's priceless.

message 37: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I finished the novel. I loved it and my review will be coming after I finish the novella.
I didn't realize there was a bonus novella in my version! I will be reading that next.

I thought the book was great. It had an intensity to it the went all the way to the end. It never let up. The idea of novel was excellent and just reinforced my irrational fear about (view spoiler)

One thing I want to ask Glenn is
(view spoiler)

And another thing I wanted to ask is...
How do you decide on your settings? (Not like "lake", but where in the US, type of city/town etc.)

message 38: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) 51% done. The pacing is perfect, making this book an effortless read. Chapter 26 had a tense, nail-biting scene involving (view spoiler)

message 39: by Troy (last edited Apr 16, 2017 03:49PM) (new)

Troy (robotroym) Vicki wrote: "Chapter 29
Soooo good...

Very tense... when he went down to the basement looking for the journal. So descriptive I was holding my breath!

Also, it was a good thing Michele's Dad taught her to dri..."

That basement scene. So good!

message 40: by Troy (last edited Apr 16, 2017 06:03PM) (new)

Troy (robotroym) Glenn, I had a lot planned this weekend: (1) Vacuum the house; (2) Catch up on laundry; (3) Get a head start on next week's work... But nothing was accomplished. My plans did not anticipate BECOMING being so darn good. A literal page turner.

Here is my brief spoiler-free review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

BECOMING is expertly paced, terrifying and tense. I was amazed at how a story could have so many characters, so many simultaneous plot lines and perspective, yet be weaved seamlessly into a cohesive story and effortless read.

Questions for Glenn:

How did you come up with the idea for this story? What were your inspirations? You mentioned previously that you wanted to capture some of the frenzied horror of 70s and 80s horror movies in this novel, which I think you did well.

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Glenn (last edited Apr 16, 2017 08:17PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Vicki wrote: "I finished the novel. I loved it and my review will be coming after I finish the novella.
I didn't realize there was a bonus novella in my version! I will be reading that next.

I thought the book ..."

Vicki, I'm from Maine, so I tend to stick with what I know. I have traveled quite a bit, and lived briefly in Colorado and California, but Maine is my home turf, so I tend to keep my stories here.
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Troy wrote: "Glenn, I had a lot planned this weekend: (1) Vacuum the house; (2) Catch up on laundry; (3) Get a head start on next week's work... But nothing was accomplished. My plans did not anticipate BECOMIN..."

Troy, this story started out as something very different. Originally, there were slugs from below the earth that were changing people as they ingested them. That version never felt right to me. When I decided to take another stab at the story, I turned to the waters. I sort of developed a lot of the characters in the original version, altering them slightly for this one. Michele was originally a twenty something college student, so was Greg. Anyways, I liked the idea of people being changed. I'm a huge fan of the '70's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I loved that all-consuming, mysterious force taking over and changing everyone. I loved the paranoia and the claustrophobic vibe of being the only one left normal. I figured if I took that and shrunk it to a small town that no one would realize things were taken place, like in King's Tommyknockers, I could have some real fun.

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Just thinking about the scenes that Troy and Vicki mentioned above....
I think one of the things I try to get right in my stories that might set me apart from my colleagues is atmosphere. Obviously, you have to have a good story and believable characters, but I find that if you can create a very real, tangible atmosphere, you can really transport the readers into the tale. I often times turn to movies to see where this is done well and try to bring that into my writing. How to translate that unnerving vibe a great scene in a film like the one in Se7en where they discover the body in the bed, and get that same feel across in written word, it's something I enjoy trying to do. I think it adds another level to the storytelling. Glad to see that it worked for Troy and Vicki. :) No better compliment for a writer. Thanks.

message 44: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) Glenn wrote: "Troy wrote: "Glenn, I had a lot planned this weekend: (1) Vacuum the house; (2) Catch up on laundry; (3) Get a head start on next week's work... But nothing was accomplished. My plans did not antic..."

I too dig stories that instill a sense of paranoia and claustrophobia. For this reason, I love John Carpenter's The Thing as well as the novella its based off of, Who Goes There? (view spoiler)

message 45: by Kenneth (new)

Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm finally able to concentrate on this read and I have to say that Greg's encounter in the beginning gave me the heebie jeebies as it delightfully reminded me of King's The Raft and Tommyknockers. Was this coincidence or did you have either in mind when you wrote this, Glenn?

message 46: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Ken wrote: "Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm finally able to concentrate on this read and I have to say that Greg's encounter in the beginning gave me the heebie jeebies as it delightfully reminded me of K..."
Thanks, Ken. Hope you had a great vacation. As for the influences... definitely kept my Tommyknockers experience with me while I was writing this one. The color choice, obviously, is my most evident ode to King's book, but there are certainly other little nuggets here and there.

message 47: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 31 comments I really enjoyed the story. Read it in two sittings - which is good for me. I agree with your comment above Glenn about "atmosphere". I think it is, for me at least, one of the most important aspects about a novel. If I can see myself walking in the story as if I am ease dropping and such, then that makes it all the more perfect. In your novel, I had a sense of the place and around the lake. Thanks for an enjoyable read!

message 48: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Jessie wrote: "I really enjoyed the story. Read it in two sittings - which is good for me. I agree with your comment above Glenn about "atmosphere". I think it is, for me at least, one of the most important aspec..."
Thanks, Jessie. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

message 49: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I finished the novella. I thought it was excellent too. Another scary mystery creature. Those kids were braver than I would have been!

Thank you Glenn for participating in this! It made it so much fun.

And thanks Ken for getting this one together. I don't know when (or if) I would have come across this book without the recommendation.

message 50: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) The novella sounds good, Vicki. I may have to check it out sooner rather than later!

Glenn, I have a question regarding the ending of BECOMING. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3