Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Vampires, Vampires, Vampires --> reading backwards -> tiny bunnies ->ninja kittens

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Félix (last edited Jul 31, 2009 07:17AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/opi...

Why Vampires Never Die

By GUILLERMO del TORO and CHUCK HOGAN
Published: July 31, 2009
"Vampire creature myths seem to cross every culture, language and era, and one clue to their continuing appeal may be because they emphasize the eternal in us."

Personally, I don't see it. Seeing Anna Paquin rolling around with one in the dim light is okay for me -- but the rest of it? Nah.

What about you? Are you on board the Vampire Express?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I think the myth of vampires will always be intriguing. There is something alluring and menacing about their otherworldly nature. I get bored reading and watching the “real world” so it’s a nice reprieve to read or view the supernatural world.

But I prefer my vamps to look like this :)
http://gallery.robertpattinson.org/di...

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Before this conversation devolves into an analysis of Edward's eyebrows, let us acknowledge female vampires, thank you very much...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FsDvTBoWeGk...

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Haha...Heather beat me to it...too late!:)

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I still have to catch up on True Blood, but Anna Paquin in that outfit she wears while she's working...distracting, to say the least. I would have a hard time ordering. And it would be even worse knowing she could read my mind.

I heard del Toro's vampire novel isn't very good.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments LOL RA, I'm slick like that...

Anna's teeth bother me, I know that's petty, but its true. I do enjoy watching Eric though.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I enjoyed both the book and movie "Let the Right One In".

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I loved the Underworld movies. The first and third more so than the second.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like big feet, too. Oh wait ... that's not what you meant.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Koeeoaddi wrote: "Vampires, zombies and werecreatures bore the crap out me.

Of course, Bigfoot, I like.
"

LOL. I haven't seen that before. Thanks for the link.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Larry wrote: "I like big feet, too. Oh wait ... that's not what you meant."

You know what they say: big feet, big shoes.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That was one of my minor complaints about Twilight, Buns. The dude was supposed to be about ninety! You think he would have worked out how to talk to girls by then.

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Hahaha!

I've never been into vampires myself. Perhaps it's because I saw the Boris Karloff Dracula movie at too young an age? (Was it Karloff?) Anyway, nope, I don't get the fascination.

Unless it's because I'm sexually repressed? hee.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Heidi wrote: "Larry wrote: "I like big feet, too. Oh wait ... that's not what you meant."

You know what they say: big feet, big shoes.
"

That's what I'm talkin' about. Uh huh.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Lori wrote: Unless ..."

So can we deduce from my deep fascination of vampires and my, er, colorful childhood, that I'm not?

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Jul 31, 2009 08:23AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Randomanthony wrote: "That was one of my minor complaints about Twilight, Buns. The dude was supposed to be about ninety! You think he would have worked out how to talk to girls by then."

Okay, I'm just going to give my two cents on that.

Edward was a recluse before being made a vampire, and according to the books, Edward didn't socialize outside of his vampire circle for the duration of his vampirism... until Bella.

He strictly matriculated and ate sweet mountain lions. Anyone who's isolated from society would still be stunted emotionally and socially. Add the factor that Edward was isolated from society for 70+ years, and well, I didn't feel the need to complain about that. As for intellectual stunting, from reading the books, I didn't read any evidence of this about any of the vamps - in fact, readers are left with the idea that Edward prefers classical music (DeBussy) to the popular music that emerged through the ages (with the exception of the music from the 50s, which I'd agree is great music) and all other music was crap. Books, reading - he had a full shelf of books - the classics. Meyer covered the schooling and intellectual pursuit bases already - the Cullens even had an inside joke in that they collected graduation caps from all the schools from which they've graduated over the years.

message 17: by Heather (last edited Jul 31, 2009 08:28AM) (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Now this is just my theory about vampires and emotional maturity or lack there of....
I would think that becoming undead, where you exist for eternity, would make you loose touch with humanity. How would you mature emotionally if you have lost your humanness?

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Lori wrote: Unless ..."

So can we deduce from my deep fascination of vampires and my, er, colorful childhood, that I'm not?"

Yup.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't mind Anna P's teeth as much as her strangely done Mi'ssippi/Looziana accent.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Randomanthony wrote: "That was one of my minor complaints about Twilight, Buns. The dude was supposed to be about ninety! You think he would have worked out how to talk to girls by then."

Dang RA, you have put my in an awkward position, I don't want to have to defend this book, but...

He knew how to talk to girls, just chose not to. He isn't human, is a danger to humans, and thus, avoided them as much as possible.

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Heather wrote: "Now this is just my theory about vampires and emotional maturity or lack there of....
I would think that becoming undead, where you exist for eternity, would make you loose tough with humanity. H..."

Heather's onto something with this.

And also message 22.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Larry wrote: "I don't mind Anna P's teeth as much as her strangely done Mi'ssippi/Looziana accent."

It's very grating when actors and actresses butcher the southern accent. We do not talk like that!

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can see how some would say that Twilight represents LDS culture to a great degree.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My God. I am so not arguing Twilight with a bunch of women. You think I'm crazy?

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Sally, I would say yes, especially with what we now know about your mother.... :D

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lori wrote: "Sally, I would say yes, especially with what we now know about your mother.... :D"

Oh I clean forgot about that.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments "Heather's onto something with this. "

LOL, I think about these things. Sad, but true. I adored religious studies in college and we often discussed myths and legends as they apply to humanity.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Larry wrote: "I don't mind Anna P's teeth as much as her strangely done Mi'ssippi/Looziana accent."

We've already covered this Larry ( message 7)

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yup. Gotcha. I go away for 5 minutes and a lot of stuff happens that I miss. Story of my life.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori Actually, there is one vampire movie I'm so looking forward to: Dark Shadows directed by Tim Burton with Depp as Barnabas. Yes! Even tho I never watched the TV show, so not one of the cult members, but I'll go see that for sure.

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I think someone should start a new vampire series about cute fuzzy animal vampires (think adorable killer bunnies and kittens and puppies). I'd read it.

message 32: by Heidi (last edited Jul 31, 2009 09:49AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments EXACTLY!!!

!!!! ♥ !!!!

:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm on hold for the Guillermo del Toro book. It's been the talk of the YALSA listserve lately. They're comparing it to Peeps, which made me curious about it.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Furry vampires? Hmmmmmmm....

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments The Strain is on my TBR as well. I liked Peeps but I prefered Westerfeld's Uglies series....

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Agreed! And I liked his Midnighters series even more, and So Yesterday even more than that! Because it was about trends, which I find fascinating...

And the vampire craze IS a trend, and we're back!

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Haha. Vamps have always been a trend though...so if it is a trend, it has spanned decades. Maybe vamps are like the little black dress, always in style.

I love YA. Its a wonderful genre with talented writers, imo.

And I enjoyed the Midnighters series as well.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe vamps are like the little black dress, always in style."

I think you've got something there, Heather!

message 39: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I looooooved Bunnicula!

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Vamps are a fun read, Anne Rice does it with style.just my opinion.

message 41: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 01, 2009 11:32AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And right on cue...Entertainment Weekly ranks the 20 Greatest Vampires Ever...

http://teamsugar.com/group/1523806/bl...

Edit: Changed link to make sure page had list...

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

It's like we're the trend predictors of the universe!

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments They always forget Louie, the one telling the story of Interview with a Vampire. Just because he was crazy with self loathing and lived on rats. He is always over looked. Poor Louie.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love the name Louie. It makes me glow.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Lestat is an awesomely nasty piece of work. Bela Lugosi should have been given top honors though.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Barlow, from Salem's Lot, is the vampire that freaked me out the most of any of them on that list.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Oh yea, he was that bald headed dude right?

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Near Dark is a way underrated movie, I agree.

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I'm writting this stuff down, what is Nosferatu?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, Near Dark and Innocent Blood are both overshadowed by the big budget stuff.

« previous 1 3 4