Terminalcoffee discussion

Entertainment ... and sports too > The True Blood Thread

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, we're sort of talking about this series in a couple different threads, and you know I'm too lazy to keep up with all that, so I'm starting a thread just on True Blood.

Three quick observations:

1. Tara is gorgeous.
2. I'm on episode three and already this series seems a lot more complex than Twilight. I don't mean that as a slam on Twilight. They're just...a lot different. Personally, I hate the fact that my first response is to compare True Blood to Twilight. The vampire thing gets in the way of two distinct vehicles.
3. Watching True Blood on insanely hot days seems appropriate.

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) 4. Watching TB while sipping iced tea or lemonade is VERY appropriate.

5. Watching TB causes my southern-creole accent to rise to the surface and suddenly everyone becomes chere

6. Don't let the wee ones watch. People get so hot there, they must strip down to their birthday suits.

7. Not going to give away spoilers until everyone has seen TB. Least not the key point *cue soap opera dramatic music* ones. If I fail, RA may slap me with a fish from Finland.

8. I cannot wait for S2 after reading the book overviews!

9. Love that the vampires aren't necessarily SUPER HOT OMG Brad Pitts. The casting nearly shows every day people (least more closely than you'd expect from a vamp show - Blade? Hotties in there)

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The "chere" thing is so off. It's the one thing that bugs the shit out of me about that show. Any true Cajun or Louisiana native knows that they don't say "chere"... it's "sha" and "Sha baby" around there. Renee's fake Cajun dialect would've made him stand out in a crowd of Louisiana natives. It's bad. With that said, despite the horrible dialects, I love the show. Sexy actors, great dialogue, interesting sets (exactly how I imagined them in the books), home... :)

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I lived in Lousiana with natives. There are some who do use chere. When I lived there, a guy used to call me that ALL the time - chere baby (instead of sha baby). And I have heard sha and sha baby.

Renee's dialect cracks me up. Mostly b/c it makes me remember my uncle. Take Renee's accent then drop it into a blender and crank the volume low to mumbles. That's my uncle.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I didn't picture Bill as being quite so brooding, based on the books.
Not that I mind, or anything...

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I wonder if that's a network thing - make him brooding and the girls will <3 him.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Okay, I didn't even bring it up. My boss and I just had lunch together (because he's taking his turn for a vacation after today) and HE brought up the dialects on True Blood and how they grate on his nerves... ALOT. Out of HIS mouth (and my head): Bill's - sounds Carolinan or Georgian; Tara's, Sookie's, her brother's - sound Texan (forgiveable since where they live is near the east Texas border)... and Renee was horrible as an actor playing an actor disguising himself as Cajun. Those were his words. Not mine. I agreed heartily, though.

The only ones that sound genuine and aren't distracting are Sam's (he's actually from that part of the state), grandmother's, and Lafayette's.

As for the chere/sha thing, "chere" is a northern Louisiana (Monroe, Alexandria, Shreveport, Bossier) colloquialism; "sha" is more of an Acadian thing. I could see Sam or the Stackhouses or any of the other characters using it, but Renee would've stood out to me (I grew up in Louisiana and lived there for 16 years of my life. My family's still in Lafayete/Scott/Carencro/Opelousas/Lake Charles area; just went on vacation with cousins from there) as an imposter. That's not just coming from me - that's coming from several peeps I know from there, including my boss.

The only part of his speech pattern that seemed somewhat familiar was ending the sentence with the beginning of the sentence. The cadence was off.

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) My family is in the Lake Charles area so the chere/sha thing is a good mix out there. I vaguely recall out by New Orleans hearing sha more often (friend's hometown is outside NO).

Renee's is the Hollywood over the top version of Cajun. Ever watch Waterboy? The Special Teams Coach. Over the top. :)

Your boss' remarks about Sookie's and her brother's accent is dead on. It /does/ sound Texan. And Bill's...*dies laughing* I couldn't recall WHERE in the south I heard that accent but your boss is right! It /does/ sound Georgian. A lil too genteel wouldn't you say?

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *laughs at self* I originally typed hometown as hometomb.

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Jun 24, 2009 12:34PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ha. Freudian slip? The actor who portrays Bill is from England, and I don't mean England, Arkansas. I think they should hire me as a consultant. I could help 'em out trememdously as a voice coach... and set decoration.

Also, they need more skeeters. MONSTROUSLY HUGE skeeters. The peeps don't seem to scratch enough. And where the hell are all the bug zappers and citronella candles?!!

Also, it bugs me that the only thing anyone ever seems to eat on the show is boiled shrimp or crawfish. That is such a stereotype. What about the gumbo and rice & gravy and dirty rice... and fried fish/taters/chicken/alligator/oysters/ribs?!! What about the barbeque?!!

I have seen Waterboy. I didn't like it. I thought it was somewhat offensive. Again, going back to the stereotypes. It bothers me that people not familiar with Cajun culture assume we're blissfully ignorant and dumber than rocks. I mean, yeah, generally we're happy-go-lucky and optimistic. But most have serious street smarts and can handle being in the woods and the great outdoors better than most Eagle scouts. The electricity goes out?!! OH sh*t! Most peeps would throw out all the meat and perishables. Not Cajuns - they throw a big party and cook everything before it goes bad. The weddings are AWESOME (so are the funerals)! The "git 'er done" mentality started with us - JMHO.

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Heidi you forgot BOUDIN! Mmmm. Gator balls. BBQ! Red Beans and Rice. Anything fish sans shrimp. Hush puppies only because I like the taste and know it isn't Cajun. HEE. Mm. Good classic gumbo. They better do a good Mardi Gras with the King Cake. I'd like to see a crawfish boil where they're using pantyhose to put the crawfish, onions, taters and spices.

They sweat plenty wearing those skimpy clothes without worry over skeeters. Vampire skeeters ;) No. Seriously. I remember one time after a hurricane, it got so hot that the skeeter eggs all hatched. I was walking across the lawn on campus and started to itch. I studied the grass more closely and realized it was moving...a swarm of skeeters hidden along the grass tips. I dashed inside and my ankles were all red from bleeding. Nasty suckers.

If anyone mocks Cajuns as ignorant, I point them to Tulane. Usually shuts 'em up.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Jun 24, 2009 12:46PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, I didn't forget boudin. We would only eat that on special occasions. My grandfather would make his own boudin and andouille (using his own livestock... and the genuine casing, if you catch my drift). Red Beans and Rice - a staple. During Lent, we'd eat LOTS of fish, and ratatouille and crawfish etouffee, and bouillabaise, and maque choux, everything okra, and we had mertiltons and figs and plantains growing in my backyard that we'd eat fresh off the tree/vine. Cajuns are quick to distinguish themselves from New Orleans - it's like the friendly neighbor spot, and it's NOT the same. However, a good time is guaranteed in either place.

Sweat would attract the skeeters. They're drawn to the warm/hot body temperatures. Yeah. My dog and I avoid the grass during the summertime when I take him for a walk - strictly cement. The skeeters swarm over the cement, too. Ugh.

I should add a note of mention that I don't eat crustaceans. Never have. And will only when I'm REALLY really hungry and that's all there is. When I was a kid, I ate LOTS of veggies and broth and rice and gravy. Not much meat.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments This isn't exactly True Blood, but it's related. Because it's about VAMPIRES, okay?

So, you've got the guy from Twilight, and then, you've got Buffy. What would happen if these two crazy kids got together? Let's find out, shall we?

Buffy vs Edward (Twilight Remixed)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The librarians on my listserve LOVE it, Bun. They are going crazy speculating about how an Angel v. Edward match up would go.
Or better yet, Spike v. Edward. :D

message 15: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments T & H (aka Cajun Gals) - I lived in MON-roe for a year and only met ONE cajun. Apparently, up North they looked down on Cajuns as being 1. stupid, 2. too immoral (laughed that one up), and 3. somehow just dirty. It was really pathetic. But, of course, this comes from every person you met asking first thing "Which church (Baptist) do y'all go to?"

We didn't go to church, so we got along with the one Cajun guy amazingly! He was great (& didn't care one whit what religion we were/or weren't). :)

And, I am loving this series and am rereading all the books to compare. I'm kidna excited (and a little disappointed) that they are taking liberties with the stories, even going off page & in new directions, cause the spirit of the whole thing is just so perfect. I just hope they don't leave out some of the other stuff I loved in the book... ah, ah, ah - no spoilers here. :)

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Considering that Sookie's and Bill's actors IRL are dating - I highly anticipate new directions than what the book presents.

Heidi - I miss crawfish etoufee. Ever had it on a baked potato? A local seafood joint turned every dish onto a baked potato. I wept with joy because it's delicious!! (and not the healthiest choice! HEE!) I remember lots of fish during Lent. GOOD fish. I'm not much of a seafood eater but with good Cajun spices...NUMMIES!

Cosmic: Agreed on how some Northerns view Cajuns. When I moved to DC, everyone had their own opinions about where I used to live and the people in the area. Then they swore I had an accent. Quaint, I say. Over the years I've developed a hearty mix. If I'm further south with relatives, I'll start to drawl either coonass way or Texan depending on which relative was speaking. It's crazy how I pick up on accents without actually trying. Hahaha.

Jackie: Spike wins. Hands down. Spike is <3

What's the name of the Norweigan head vamp in this series? I forget his name.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Eric, I think, is the name of the former Viking head vamp.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Eric Northman.

I don't eat crustaceans for the most part, so if I was given the option of eating a baked potato with crawfish on top, I'd probably eat it plain. My cousins all get crawfish pizza around there. I've gone hungry many times rather than eat shellfish.

In the same respect on the northern Louisiana vs. southern, we considered anyone north of Alexandria to be Yankees who didn't know how to have real fun. :) So it all evens out in the wash.

message 19: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Heidi, I'd have to agree with you about Northern LA... so many of them seemed to be so locked into being perfect & pious, and so many of them failed miserably. I really wish we had made it down South while we were there. I'm hoping that for our 10th anniversary next year we'll get to visit Nawlins. :)

I love crawfish... except when it's served in the shell in a giant bucket. I just couldn't handle how 'buggy' they were, and then all the work to get a leetle-teeny morsel of meat - nope, not worth it. I'll pay to have someone shell 'em for me.

There was some kind of crawfish stew we had once, it was in a creamy, spicy broth but it had almost a sweet taste to it. It was scrumptuous with raised yeast rolls & honeybutter. Oy dat... I think I musta been a Cajun in another life. ;)

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I like the taters and corn cooked with the crawfish at the crawfish boils. :) Those are AWESOME!

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) My uncle would bite into an onion that was cooked with the crawfish at a crawfish boil...just like an apple. Not sure why I shuddered when he did that yet never blinked an eye at the sucking on the heads.

Eric! That's him! Who do you find more alluring - Bill or Eric?

message 22: by Heidi (last edited Jun 26, 2009 06:53AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, I went to a vidalia party once in baton Rouge when I was a teen - they served vidalia onions as the hor d'ouerves. We did eat 'em like apples. Then again, they were sweet and tangy and crunchy - not at all like the other onions.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments mmmm, vidalias...

I find Eric more alluring in the books, but Bill more alluring in the show. I guess it has to do with the actors. And I didn't actually find Eric more alluring until later storylines which they haven't gotten to yet in the show, so well see.
Either way I enjoy both(the books and the show that is).

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Show: At first I wasn't thrilled with Bill but he gradually grew on me. Eric...he's mysterious. I cannot wait to see where they take him.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Bill's a pussy.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments In the book, or show? Or both?

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments both

message 28: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) toward the end of the show, my mind becomes set on that mentality regarding Bill esp in how he handles another character. I won't reveal that one as it can become a spoiler.

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments HOLY HOTNESS!!! Have you guys seen the new Rolling Stone magazine cover?!!

linky to article about sexah cover

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I don't think blood is the least bit sexy. I'm also not a fan of guy+guy+girl threesomes. That photo is not the least bit interesting to me. Heck, I don't think even the 15 year old me would have liked it.

message 31: by Heidi (last edited Aug 19, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Barb wrote: "We just finished watching S2 a few days ago, and I lurve this show. I have to say that Sookie actually annoys me a little bit, but not enough to make me stop watching because everyone else and the..."

I didn't say that about Bill, but I've sure thought it.

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Barb wrote: "Not to be argumentative, but see #27 ...
*whistles, and walks away*"

YES!!! I'm brilliant (and forgetful)!!! Go ME! :D

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've seen a couple episodes of the show and can already tell that I'll like this better than the books. Book 1 was sort of bland to me and has kept me from reading any further.

Maybe when our Netflix queue has slowed down a bit, I'll add this series to it.

message 34: by smetchie (last edited Aug 19, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments OMG that picture. Holy hotness is right. I would swear Alan Ball consults me before he writes the episodes if I didn't know that he doesn't. First, Eric gets a haircut. Then he makes him nearly naked and a romantic interest. Then he's kissing boys. It's like I ordered it from a menu or something! I mean, does it get any better than this??
I'm one episode behind right now and I don't want to give anything away but Eric definitely knows how to "entertain" someone's spouse while they're off doing whatever it is they do. My goodness!
But besides the heady sexuality, it's just a great show! So much more thrilling than the books! It's by far my favorite thing on television.
Jason Stackhouse is cracking me up this season. "I didn't think I was smart enough to get depressed." HAHAHA!

message 35: by Sally, la reina (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:28PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "I don't think the photo is all that sexy ... until I look at Eric's torso ... and that has nothing to do with blood."

I agree. And I want to give sookie a cheeseburger; her thinness icks me out.

message 36: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments She's not thin in the books.... and the cover has probably been Photoshopped to hell.

message 37: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) OK, so I am probably again in a minority when I say these guys look like they shave their bodies and that does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not into back hair or anything, but a hairless man is just not right.

message 38: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Yep, Smetch... I'm diggin Eric this season mucho! Don't adore the blood & actually get kinda queasy when they go over the top (Um, the scene where Bill gets it on with Lorena & goes a little nuts really made me want to hurl). But I'm really liking some of the twists they're putting in.

I really liked Anna Paquin when this started but now she's a tad melodramatic, esp when she & Bill get all mooshy. Bleh. But Lafayette is scrumptious & he's got a cute new bf, and Jason & Sam are just added eye candy. Yep, I'm rather enjoying all of it. :F

message 39: by Heidi (last edited Aug 20, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Misha wrote: "I'm freaking loving Dennis O'Hare as the King of Louisiana. He's just so wonderfully over-the-top."

I just love Dennis O'Hare. Period. I don't think he's ever done a less-than-stellar performance. He's been a stand-out in every movie in which he's played a starring or supporting role. He IS a Tony-award winning actor, isn't he? I remember the director commentary on that George Clooney movie (the one in which he's the clean up guy) because his performance was so memorable.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha! Someone sent me a link today, Barb, we're on the same page...

message 41: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Misha wrote: "I don't want to spoil anyone if they haven't seen the latest episode, but there were some moments of sheer awesomeness from O'Hare."

Oh my gosh! For real!

message 42: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Did what I think happened at the end of the last episode actually happen?!