Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > should I start Six of Crows if I haven't read the Grisha trilogy?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by • Sara (new)

• Sara (itsdylansnugget) I started reading Six of Crows and it feels like I don't understand part of it, maybe because I haven't read the other trilogy?

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments I've heard a lot of people say you don't have to read the Grisha trilogy first since Six of Crows provides a lot of background, but I personally recommend reading the trilogy first since Six of Crows and its sequel are spinoffs.

message 3: by Sunniva (new)

Sunniva (heirofstars) I tried reading Six of Crows without reading The Grisha Trilogy and I was so confused about what was happening so I decided to finish the first three books first.

Diana ~Daughter of the Books~ (dianadaughterofthebooks) | 26 comments Six of Crows is okay to read before the Grisha trilogy, in the sense that it is understandable. But Crooked Kingdom contains some pretty major spoilers for the trilogy, so if you want to read the trilogy too, you should start with that unless you want to spoil yourself (like I did before I knew they were connected :) ).

message 5: by Alethea (new)

Alethea (greaterthanblue) | 43 comments You don't necessarily have to read the Grisha trilogy, but I strongly suggest you do, it's what I'm doing now actually, I'm onto the 3rd book in the trilogy already. It's true that it'll provide a clearer insight on the world, plus there are spoilers in Crooked Kingdom, but another reason I did it this was because a lot of people said that the SoC series was better that the Grisha trilogy, so I didn't want to disappoint myself if I read it the other way around, plus I just liked reading things in order xD (even if they aren't really connected)

message 6: by Dorreh (new)

Dorreh | 4 comments Although you don't need it, I highly recommend doing so. Because not only is it a great trilogy, it also gives you a sense of closeness to everything that happens in six of crows.

message 7: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments Like Dorreh said, you don't have to read the Grisha trilogy first, but it will provide background about the world and events. SoC also have some spoilers for grisha, in case you want to read it someday. But if you don't read it first I think you're going to be okay reading SoC :)

message 8: by • Sara (new)

• Sara (itsdylansnugget) Thanks for the comments guys! I think I'm gonna read the trilogy first so it all will make sense when I read SoC. Thanks again! :)

geetha🌈🤍🦋 (geethahhh) | 3 comments • Sara wrote: "Thanks for the comments guys! I think I'm gonna read the trilogy first so it all will make sense when I read SoC. Thanks again! :)"

you're going to enjoy six of crows so so much!!

message 10: by fatin (new)

fatin (emmajulian) yeah i think you Should read the trilogy first bc when i started reading SoC it stopped reading after the first chapter for like ,,,, Months bc i did not understand the first chapter at all. also the characters in the grisha trilogy are so great honestly you won't miss out haha

message 11: by Atlas (new)

Atlas (atlasrising) Sunniva wrote: "I tried reading Six of Crows without reading The Grisha Trilogy and I was so confused about what was happening so I decided to finish the first three books first."

^ same. I used Six of Crows as a literal doorstop for weeks because I couldn't get into it. After reading the Grisha trilogy, which was a bit shit imo, I could finally really enjoy SoC and CK.

message 12: by josephine (new)

josephine (anjmjen) You're not supposed to have to read the other books first, according to Leigh; it's a completely separate story after all. However, it seems many find it useful to do so just to get used to the world and terminology. I didn't read the Grisha trilogy first, and I had no issue with Six of Crows whatsoever (which is lucky, as the Grisha trilogy doesn't seem to be for me at all and I have no plans in reading it) :-)

message 13: by sara (new)

sara (daggerandrosae) | 12 comments I read the duology before reading the grisha trilogy and I managed just fine. If you want to have a clearer view of the world fine, but it's not necessary.

message 14: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments six of crows you can absolutely read before the grisha trilogy. you might be a little confused for the first like 2 chapters but it's all explained very well. you MIGHT want to read grisha before you read crooked kingdom though, because some minor grisha characters show up. but personally i don't think grisha is nearly as good as six of crows so i don't know if i could stop myself from just going onto the next one. i only read grisha bc i was waiting for the 2nd book to come out and i was bored.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (elven) | 3 comments I just finished reading Six of Crows & Crooked Kingdom recently. I did not like Six of Crows nearly as much as I expected given the love that surrounds it.

I think a lot of this was because, like you, I didn't understand everything. I haven't read the Grisha trilogy yet but I think I would have liked Six of Crows more because I would have had that background knowledge.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments Guys they've probably already read the books by this point lol.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (elven) | 3 comments Probably but maybe not. That was only a month and a half ago. They could have put it down and went to something else.

message 18: by josephine (new)

josephine (anjmjen) Elizabeth♛ Everyone Else Has a Super Long Name With a Symbol So I Might as Well Do it Too♛ wrote: "Guys they've probably already read the books by this point lol."

This could also be useful for many others who haven't read any of the books yet - lots of those people around.^^

message 19: by Cindy ✩☽♔ (last edited Mar 29, 2017 06:57AM) (new)

Cindy ✩☽♔ | 24 comments I loved Six of Crows and I still haven't finished the Grisha Trilogy, so I think you'd be fine

message 20: by Attack Salmon (new)

Attack Salmon Dont have to read the Grisha trilogy before Soc but it helps to know what are grishas , how many type of Grisha and their powers

check this link -> http://thegrishaverse.wikia.com/wiki/...

Leigh Bardugo can write but Shadow and Bone lack even the basic world building. I first went into it feeling very confused because there is no detailed explanation about the kind of Grishas there are

Ardent || LoveArdent || Raya (loveardent) | 22 comments honestly I read Six of Crows before the second two Grisha Trilogy books (I read Shadow and Bone, then Six of Crows, then Crooked Kingdom, then Siege and Storm and Ruin and Rising) and I was fine. It gave some spoilers in Crooked Kingdom, but in Six of Crows, there aren't any spoilers so...lol

message 22: by Rimpy (new)

Rimpy Toor (rimpytoor) I personally don't feel like it's necessary. Six of Crows provides so much background and it's not very difficult to follow for people who haven't seen the world before. I'm reading Crooked Kingdom right now and don't feel lost at all! (that doesn't mean I don't want to read the Grisha Trilogy, because I need it in my life..)

message 23: by Kabas (new)

Kabas yousif (books4everlover) | 3 comments I recommend reading the trilogy immediately, you will probably be introduced to new information that is not present in six of crows and plus they're REALLY good. It will be benefiting

message 24: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Yes

message 25: by Anushka (new)

Anushka | 14 comments I read the Grisha trilogy after Six of Crows personally. There is a little in SoC that references TGT but overall you don't need to read TGT to enjoy SoC

message 26: by Cyn (new)

Cyn (lostinstoryville) | 39 comments I started with six of crows as well. I just read the trilogy. you can definitely read those first. there are some references of the trilogy but it doesn't spoil.

Leigh was very smart about the fact that most of them had no clue what really happened during the war and the reality that people can have false perceptions. so some references might not even be accurate.

message 27: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (goodreadscomuser_bhavya) | 49 comments I read the trilogy first.
If you read six of crows first, then you may be a bit confused for the initial chs.
But crooked Kingdom has spoilers for the Grisha Trilogy, so would advise you to read the trilogy first.

But you can still read it either way.