Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Her Every Fear
This topic is about Her Every Fear
Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - Her Every Fear Chap 1-7 SPOILERS Welcome

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Feb 10, 2017 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Part One "Long Legged Beasties" - Chapters 1-7 - spoilers welcome on this thread.
We appreciate it if the first to post could briefly summarize to guide the discussion for this segment!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Chapters 1-4

Chapter 1. Kate Priddy is newly arrived in Boston. She has switched apartments with her second cousin; he is taking her apartment in London and she is taking his in Boston for six months. Prone to panic attacks, she feels the beginning of one as her cab is stuck in traffic in the Sumner Tunnel. She flashes on a sinister episode from her past where she is trapped in a closet and someone named George Daniels is on the other side. When she arrives she is amazed at the apartment complex, which is grand. As she is beig shown to her apartment, she passes a young woman at the door of a neighboring apartment, trying to rouse her friend who hasn't responded to texts. The friend is worried. Kate is sure she's dead.

Chapter 2. Kate reflects on how she came to the apartment exchange. Corbin, her second cousin, had emailed her mother to ask if Kate might be interested in an apartment swap. Her mother didn't think she'd have the courage to do it so Kate decided she would surprise her and be impulsive for once. Kate is drowsy and goes to bed. She wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks she sees blue police lights flashing through her curtains. She'll check it out in the morning.

Chapter 3. Kate awakes the next morning and explores the apartment. Something reminds her of the still unexplained incident with George that changed her life forever. She didn’t leave her house for a year, and her parents and her therapist helped her get back on her feet. She still can’t believe she is in America. She goes outside to the courtyard where she meets her handsome neighbor Alan Cherney. She asks him about Audrey Marshall, the missing neighbor. He doesn't know anything about it. After returning from a trip to the grocery store, Kate falls asleep on the couch and dreams of George who appears to be on the other side of the nearby pond. She's not surprised that he's followed her to Boston. She is surprised that he's alive, so he must be dead in real life. There is a knock on the door waking her up. She looks out and recognizes the face of a woman she thinks is a detective. Audrey Marshall is dead she thinks.

Chapter 4. It is a police detective, Detective Roberta James. Detective James asks a few questions but does not say anything about Audrey Marshall. They have found a dead body next door, presumably murdered. They don't have an identification yet. Detective James asks if her cousin knew Audrey, and Kate has no clue. She gives Detective James Corbin's email address. Detective James also asks if they can search the place later and Kate says fine.
Kate decides that if the police are going to search the apartment she should search it first. She looks carefully through it and finds old photographs, college yearbooks and items belonging to Corbin's father. She also finds a few keys, one of which is labeled AM and she wonders if it is the key to Audrey Marshall's apartment. Kate wonders about Corbin's relationship with Audrey Marshall.

Detective James returns with two officers and asks to search the apartment. They do but find nothing of interest.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Chapters 5 - 7

Chapter 5. Kate has fallen asleep in front of the television and it's now 5:30 in the morning. She gets up to get a glass of water and reaches into her pocket for a tissue. She finds the key marked AM and gets a sudden urge to go explore the dead woman's apartment, even though she knows she shouldn't. She doesn't even know if the key will open that door, but of course it does. She climbs past the crime scene tape and enters the apartment which seems unremarkable. No sign of a struggle or smells of death. She she walks over to the window and has the feeling that someone is watching. A light comes on in the apartment across the courtyard and it is Alan. He is watching the apartment, and she fears that he has seen her. She slowly backs away from the window.

Chapter 6. Alan thinks he sees someone in Audrey's apartment but he's not sure; he's pretty tired. He reflects on the previous year when he and his ex Quinn were living together. One day he notices that he can look across the courtyard and see Audrey in her apartment, and he quickly became fascinated, then obsessed. Quinn moved out citing his distance, although he'd heard that she was dating someone from work. Alan devised a way to find out who the neighbor was and then began following her so that he knew where she worked and where she liked to have coffee. He planned a way to meet her casually and spend more time with her, but before he could activate his plan a man began appearing in her apartment, a tall jock who usually came with a bottle of wine in his hand. He soon learned that man was Corbin Dell.

Chapter 7. Alan recalls how he and Corbin met. He was carrying a racquetball and they struck up a conversation. Corbin invited Alan to play at his club. They played a couple of times and even had a beer after. Then all of a sudden Corbin stopped arranging squash dates but Alan didn't care; he had found Audrey.

When Alan saw Corbin in Audrey's apartment, he became disturbed. He decided to contact Corbin and invite him out again, to pump him for information about Audrey. The two met and when the conversation got around to Corbin's love life. Alan said he had heard Corbin was seeing Audrey. Corbin made light of it and wondered where Alan had gotten that impression. When Alan next saw Audrey and Corbin together in her apartment, they turned to look at Alan's apartment. Alan was horrified, thinking that they figured out how he knew Audrey and Corbin were dating. Soon they began drawing the curtains in the apartment.

Alan decided it was time to stop his obsession with Audrey. He reconnected with old friends, and met a young woman who he invited back to his apartment. Then one day he went to the courtyard to smoke a cigarette and met Kate who he found appealing. She was a bit like Audrey actually. She told him that Audrey was missing. Early the next morning he looked across the courtyard into Audrey's apartment and he thought he saw movement. He stared and stared afraid to look away. Eventually he saw a sliver of light and someone leaving the apartment.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I am enjoying the development of this story, and wonder where it is going to lead us. I especially like how Peter shifts between two points of view on the same events.

I hope these summaries aren't too long but I am at a loss to decide on what to omit!!!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I wonder at Kate's continuing memories of this George guy. It's unfortunate that after the therapy she is still haunted by him, whoever he is.

Throughout this book I find myself wondering if I could stay in a building where a murder has occurred, especially so close to the apartment I'm staying in.

A moment that isn't quite TSTL (too stupid to live, for our newbies) was Kate going into the apartment of the dead woman. It seems out of character for this very nervous woman, but Peter explains why -- she is a bit OCD and once she gets a thought she has to act on it or it will dominate her thoughts -- but still. Very creepy. I guess it's a good way to ratchet up the suspense early on.

Russ | 339 comments It is a bit creepy, Carol--I agree! But even creepier is Alan. Pining after a woman for a year & peeping on her the whole time?

I think Kate is neurotic but fun. Alan is just neurotic. But they both seem totally innocent unlike the too-suave-to-be-true Corbin.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1225 comments Great summaries Carol. I just started the audio but was immediately drawn into the story. I too wonder what is going on with Kate and her memories of George. Alan's actions with the peeping were creepy but, like Russ, I am not getting the guilty vibe from him. I also wondered about the legality of the search of Corbin's apartment but suppose any adult present can consent to a search?

I also liked all the book references.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Russ wrote: "It is a bit creepy, Carol--I agree! But even creepier is Alan. Pining after a woman for a year & peeping on her the whole time? ..."

I know, Russ! Especially when he is living with someone. I could maybe imagine it of a recluse but find it harder to see the appeal when you have someone there competing for your attention.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments I got my audible copy and have started the book; like Sandi the narration drew me in immediately. Kate is a very interesting character, the mystery of why she is so fearful is being revealed a bit at a time leaving me eager for more.
I was surprised Kate didn't think she should consult with her cousin Corbin before consenting to a police search and was surprised that she was bold enough to enter past the crime scene tape into Audrey's apartment but so timid that everything she encounters seems to be a threat or danger. And that she didn't remember putting the AM labeled key in her pocket was a bit odd.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Russ:
Alan's peeping tom activities seem very creepy to me and I am not so sure he is innocent. His obsession worries me, and I have to wonder -- if someone is going to turn out to be an unreliable narrator, Alan could be the one. Corbin's downplaying of his relationship with Audrey raises suspicions too. someone or several someones are keeping secrets.

Russ wrote: "It is a bit creepy, Carol--I agree! But even creepier is Alan. Pining after a woman for a year & peeping on her the whole time?
I think Kate is neurotic but fun. Alan is just neurotic. But they both seem totally innocent unlike the too-suave-to-be-true Corbin."

message 11: by Ann (last edited Mar 11, 2017 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Does anyone else find Kate's reliance on email to communicate almost exclusively seems a bit dated? [instead of a mixture of texts and phone calls too]

message 12: by Russ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Russ | 339 comments Yes, I thought so too Ann, but I rationalized it by assuming mobile charges internationally are high.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Ann wrote: "Does anyone else find Kate's reliance on email to communicate almost exclusively seems a bit date? [instead of a mixture of texts and phone calls too]"

Not me, but maybe I'm "a bit dated" ;-). Before I got a smart phone it was all about email. Now that I have had one for three months it's definitely more of a mix with texts, but for someone I wasn't particularly close to, or used to talking with, I'd still go email. Phone is rare, but that's just my personality. (Example: Ann, have we ever texted, LOL?)

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Good point Russ! I hadn't thought of that having never texted internationally. But I text so much that email seems slow to me and I know a lot of people who rarely even check their personal email but text all the time.
And Carol: I suppose you are right, we have not done that (yet) :) :) ;)

Russ wrote: "Yes, I thought so too Ann, but I rationalized it by assuming mobile charges internationally are high."

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Not me, but maybe I'm "a bit dated" ;-). Before I got a smart phone it was all about email. Now that I have had one for three months it's definitely more of a mix with texts, .....
Phone is rare, but that's just my personality. (Example: Ann, have we ever texted, LOL?)
."

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments The international aspect hadn't occurred to me. Thanks Russ!
It just seemed odd for Kate to send her parents emails too when she arrived as the "I'm here" first contact - a phone call seemed more suited for them; though to her cousin she never met, an email is probably expected.
Surely if she was going to the US for six months and appears to not have a tight money situation she could afford a phone plan or a couple of international calls. it just seemed different than what I expected.

message 16: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack | 179 comments Lots of interestimg characters with interesting names. Quite a different experience listening to an audiobook and having someone do diffetent voices for each character. I wonder how they keep them consistent. Its funny but i find it really hard to imagine the story and just picture a woman reading to me close up rather than whats happening in the story.

I think the story is great and kate really draws you in with her inner dialogue, she has a good imagination. I was surprised she went into audreys apartment too. Alan is concerning and im curious how he will fit in to it. His comments about kate at the end of this section worry me that he will start obsessing over her now.

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Jack:
I am glad you are trying out the audio version! You may find that your ear starts to train to listen as you go, and some narrators are better than others at keeping voices consistent.
On that note, Jim Dale, the narrator for the Harry Potter books in the US has over 200 hundred voices across the multiple books to keep up with and he does a stellar job!
Here a story from 2007 about how Jim Dale does that!
*Dale holds a Guinness World Record for having created 134 different character voices for one book -- "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth book in the series.
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/books/...
Jack wrote: "Lots of interesting characters with interesting names. Quite a different experience listening to an audiobook and having someone do different voices for each character. I wonder how they keep them consistent. Its funny but i find it really hard to imagine the story and just picture a woman reading to me close up rather than whats happening in the story...."