Book Snails Book Group discussion

Currently Reading -- 2016 & 2017 > What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
What are you currently reading? Are you liking it? ;-)

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I'm reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, and I'm not loving it. The story is interesting, but Harry I find to be really annoying, and the writing style is odd. The author a lot of the time will either leave out the subject or the action of a sentence, so the sentence doesn't make sense. But I am interested in revealing the history behind Harry.

I'm also reading Women Wartime Spies, which is good. It's kind of dry, because it's very academic, but I love reading about women during wartime, because usually, they're always in the background. The book is also very feminist, because the author does a great job to dispel the myths that women spies are either doing it for love, or sex.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris I'm re-reading my favorite novel, David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest." It's enough to say that I'm profoundly jealous of anyone who hasn't yet read it for the first time.

message 4: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 368 comments I'm currently reading an advance reader copy of The Idiot by Elif Batuman (the book is scheduled to be published on March 14th). I'm loving the book so far, mostly because I'm able to relate so much to the main character Selin. I get a kick out of how the book takes place in the mid-90s and chronicles Selin's experience entering college, which mirrors the same time period I went to college. Reading about Selin's experiences brings back so many memories of my own college days.

Also love the sarcastic humor in this book! I don't like books that try too hard to be funny, but this one isn't like that at all. The book is funny without meaning to be -- the main character Selin is also the book's narrator and the way she relays her story has a deadpan humor quality to it that makes what she is saying extremely funny. It's been a long time since I laughed so hard while reading a book.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Currently reading Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo. This is book 8 in the Kate Burkholder series.

Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8) by Linda Castillo

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just finished my evening reading. Read from "Talking As Fast As I Can" by Lauren Graham and "George" by Alex Gino.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 124 comments I have many books in different areas of the house, depending on what I am doing at the time. I have "Nemesis" in the basement on CD (my first audiobook) for when I am sewing hospital gowns, I have "The Last Song" on my nightstand for bedtime reading, "The Light Between Oceans" in the family room to read and "Outrage" on my Kindle as a Goodreads Giveaway win for when I am out running errands and have some sitting time. Waiting for "Gone With The Wind" from the library.

message 8: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I'm reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, and I'm not loving it. The story is interesting, but Harry I find to be really annoying, and the writing style is odd. The author a lot of the t..."

Sorry you're not loving this one, Kelsey.

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Brainstorm wrote: "I'm re-reading my favorite novel, David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest." It's enough to say that I'm profoundly jealous of anyone who hasn't yet read it for the first time."

I've never read it but want to!

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Bkwmlee wrote: "I'm currently reading an advance reader copy of The Idiot by Elif Batuman (the book is scheduled to be published on March 14th). I'm loving the book so far, mostly because I'm able ..."

Sounds interesting...

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

JuliaOrlando wrote: "Currently reading Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo. This is book 8 in the Kate Burkholder series.

Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8) by Linda Castillo"

Must be a pretty good series...

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Teresa wrote: "I have many books in different areas of the house, depending on what I am doing at the time. I have "Nemesis" in the basement on CD (my first audiobook) for when I am sewing hospital gowns, I have ..."

Method to the madness! ;-) Which titles are you enjoying the most?

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 124 comments That is hard because each book is different in their own way and great for different reasons. "Outrage" is suspenseful and I want to get the next book in the series to find out what happens. "The Last Song" is good so far. Had tears while reading "The Light Between Oceans". I am getting through the "Nemesis" audiobook but the jury is still out on that one. Having someone's voice reading the book makes it so different. In my mind, when reading, I picture a character and their voice one way but when there is one female and one males reading out loud but many characters, it is hard to change the voice. Does that make sense?

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Not reading anything now, but tomorrow I'll be reading Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb - #44 of her In Death series....

Echoes in Death (In Death, #44) by J.D. Robb

message 15: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Feb 08, 2017 03:38PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1805 comments Mod
JuliaOrlando wrote: "Not reading anything now, but tomorrow I'll be reading Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb - #44 of her In Death series...."

I've liked (3+ stars) the handful of "Death" books by Robb/Roberts that I've read, even though the protagonist having a super-rich husband is a bit of a cheat. I prefer "normal" characters, but it's still a good series.

But mostly I like to see how cleverly titled (or not) the newest release is.

I'm waiting for "Death in Death," "Final Death" or "Deathless." Oh wait... and "MegaDeath." And you know I'd snatch up "Death in Space" or "Twerking in Death."

~~~

Just started Finished Book 2 in a YA SF series:

Starbreak
Starbreak by Phoebe North

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I am currently reading three books. My "Main Focus" is Boris Pasternak's Classic Doctor Zhivago, while my "Non-Fiction" read is Jeff Corwin's 100 Heartbeats. My third read is what I call my "Opportunity Book," and for that it's The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.