Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Policies & Practices > Important feature

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments Hi all!
I've been talking a lot with people who use GR and who appreciate what we do here (I mean as Librarians and Superlibrarians) and now I wonder is it possible to talk about one issue which seems important to me and which would add another feature on GR, and I think make it even better and more user friendly.

Here's the deal. A lot of us read a lot of books during a year, many of us read simultaneously a couple of them, many of us do not finish them in a given time, postponing the reading or dropping them because we do not want to finish reading them. Still the pages we have read from these books are still there and they mean something.

Would it be possible to add an extra shelf which would record these pages?
It wouldn't even have to be an exclusive shelf, it can be just an ordinary shelf titled appropriately.

Ivana

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13532 comments Those pages are not lost. If you posted updates before abandoning the book, they won't disappear (I have several examples on my "dnf" shelf).

If you don't put them on a "did not finish" or "abandoned for now" shelf (or whatever), they will still be on your "currently reading" shelf, with the number of pages you read so far.

If you mean those pages should count towards the yearly challenge, I don't know how that could be done.

But anyway, since this is a question about site functionality, it should be posted in the Feedback Group.

message 3: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments I understand what you are saying but I don't want these books on my "currently reading" shelf, only on a shelf in My Books section. :)

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Then add one. You can add as many shelves as you like. If you don't want them on your currently reading or read shelf, check the option to make it exclusive.

message 5: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments That's fine, but still I can not mark the pages I've read in these books. Only the books on Currently reading shelf have the feature to mark these pages.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6471 comments Ivana wrote: "That's fine, but still I can not mark the pages I've read in these books. Only the books on Currently reading shelf have the feature to mark these pages."

This is not something librarians can help you with.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:17PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4378 comments Ivana wrote: "That's fine, but still I can not mark the pages I've read in these books. Only the books on Currently reading shelf have the feature to mark these pages."

Hi Ivana. Like Lethe said, ideas for new features belong in Feedback. Staff that post there pass ideas along to the developers.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13532 comments Ivana wrote: "That's fine, but still I can not mark the pages I've read in these books. Only the books on Currently reading shelf have the feature to mark these pages."

And when you've done that, you can move the books to another shelf and the status updates will be saved.

message 9: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments @Carol, I did just that, thank you.

@lethe, I see you are right, but that happens only when i move these books to Currently reading shelf, I can not see the number of pages read in My Books section.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41411 comments Mod
This is not a Librarians Group issue, but one for the Feedback Group, or you may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page. Librarians can help with issues pertaining to specific book records or most related issues, but have no control over general site functionality or related issues. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.