What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A book about two brothers and some kittens? [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (namve) | 6 comments I read a book in elementary school about two brothers who get these two kittens and the older brother gets the one who looks like he's wearing a tuxedo so he names him Tux. This is really all I can say without spoiling it, but it was a really nice book about the importance of brotherly love.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Is this a picture book or a chapter book? What age in elementary--kindergarten or 6th grade? The reading level for elementary schoolers is very varied.

If you check the Some HTML is ok click (top right of the comment box) it will tell you how to post spoilers so that only people who want to check them can see them.

When were you in elementary school, 3 years ago, 12, 50? Where did you go to school--which country, city, town, country, BIG city?

message 3: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (namve) | 6 comments I read it around third grade but I was a little advanced so it was probably a sixth or seventh grade level book. I live in Kansas in the US

message 4: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (namve) | 6 comments it was about ten years ago

message 5: by Polly (new)

Polly (pollya) | 108 comments Rats, this sounds so familiar, but I just can't remember what it reminds me of.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 425 comments Could it be A Question of Trust by Marion Dane Bauer A Question of Trust by Marion Dane Bauer?

From School Library Journal:

"Gr 4-6-Brad and Charlie spend the majority of this novel in emotional agony, trying to ignore the fact that their mother has recently left home. They find a stray cat with two kittens, and fearing that their father will take the animals to the humane society, care for them in secret. One kitten dies and the boys think the mother, Cat, is reponsible. They expel her from the shed and nurse the second kitten using money Brad has stolen from their father to buy supplies. Cat sneaks back to nurse the second kitten, and in a fit of rage over a mother who doesn't care for her young properly the brothers almost kill her. Horrified, Brad tells his father. The whole truth comes out on the way to the veterinarian. They learn that the mother didn't kill her kitten, and was doing her best to care for the living one. Brad realizes that by leaving home, his mother was doing her best to care for him and Charlie. This metaphor works well to tie the story together. A reunion at Mom's apartment ensues. Once again, Bauer has written a novel for middle-grade readers about a difficult subject. The relationships and dialogue are believable and involving. As in her other books, there are no easy solutions or neat endings, but instead, she offers hope for resolution and healing.-Lynn Cockett, Nutley Public Library, NJ"

A reviewer on Amazon mentions that one of the kittens is named Tuxedo.

message 7: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (namve) | 6 comments I think that's it! Thank you so much!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Question of Trust (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marion Dane Bauer (other topics)