Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > International bestsellers you many not have read, but should

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Has anyone read any of these books? They all sound intriguing but I'd like some feedback before I try them...

https://media.bookbub.com/blog/2017/0...

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments annapi wrote: "Has anyone read any of these books? They all sound intriguing but I'd like some feedback before I try them...

https://media.bookbub.com/blog/2017/0......"

The only one I have read is Like Water for Chocolate which I loved.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Yes, that's the only one I've read too!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I've read My Brilliant Friend which to me is highly overrated, and Cloudstreet which is a fabulous iconic Australian novel. Tim Winton is a highly acclaimed and much loved author here. His writing is quintessentially Australian. I'd love to hear what you think!

message 5: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments I liked Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus and have After the Crash but haven't read it yet. A couple others look interesting to me.

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8619 comments I was bored by Cloudstreet. I have Snow White Must Die on my tbr. It was a possibility for January, but didn't happen. Didn't like Like Water for Chocolate, either (but... magical realism, so that's explains that).

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Only My Brilliant Friend . . .which was decidedly meh. Some of the others look good!!

message 8: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Susie wrote: "I've read My Brilliant Friend which to me is highly overrated, and Cloudstreet which is a fabulous iconic Australian novel. Tim Winton is a highly acclaimed and much loved author here. His writing ..."

I've read both but had the totally opposite reaction. I really enjoyed My Brilliant Friend and was disappointed with Cloudstreet.

I also read and enjoyed Like Water For Chocolate. Please Look After Mom is on the TBR. It had faded out of my consciousness so good to have it brought to the fore again. I've not read much by Korean authors so would like to read it.

message 9: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Denizen wrote: "...Please Look After Mom"

I read this book and did not like it at all, didn't notice it on the list.

message 10: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I haven't read any of these but some of them sound really interesting

message 11: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I had a feeling that Please Look After Mom would be on this list, and it was. I think I only gave it 3 stars, but it does give a good glimpse at Korean life, and was a HUGE bestseller there, so I guess it deserves it's place on here.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments I liked Like Water for Chocolate, and couldn't finish My Brilliant Friend.
I have The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules as an ebook. I'll get to it someday, I hope!

message 13: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1116 comments I read
--Like Water for Chocolate - eh, not fan of magical realism
--Please Look After Mom - liked this for the perspectives of each family member when Mom goes missing and for a look at Korean culture
-- have not read Cloudstreet but have read Dirt Music by Tim Winton and really liked that and The Turning: stories, also good

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any on the list but had placed a hold on My Brilliant Friend in December. Based on some of the comments here, I am wondering if I will like it. :/