What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1)
This topic is about The Saturdays
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Classic children's book about siblings. they would partake in wholesome activities, the eldest girl would tie her hair up in a kerchief and can fruit/veg. She made ice cream in the snow for the younger ones. No mother. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina (darling_nina) | 2 comments Recently I have been obsessed with figuring out the title of a book, possibly a series I read about 10 years ago, give or take. Sadly, I can't remember the title. The name of the author. Anything. The only things I remember are a few details and images:

-the book (possibly series) is about a group of siblings. I don't think there were more than 4. The eldest was a girl, then a boy, then another boy, and maybe the last one was a girl?
- they didn't have a mother, and I don't think their father was around much either.
-there were always a lot of people around in the story. Neighbors and such.
- they would partake in wholesome activities, the eldest girl would tie her hair up in a kerchief and can fruit/veg. She made ice cream in the snow for the younger ones. Etc.
- one of the boys, the younger one I believe, was v into Opera. I remember this being a big deal.
-I'm pretty sure each child had their own interests-the one had opera, and I honestly don't remember much else.
-though I can't remember the exact year the book takes place, it definitely had a early-mid 20th century vibe. Hence the canning, the opera, the playing outside, etc.

Thanks!

message 2: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 204 comments You said it felt like it took place in the mid 20th century. Do you think it was published then?

message 3: by DianeG (last edited Feb 04, 2017 07:28PM) (new)

DianeG The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright? It's part of a 5 book series and it has several elements you mentioned above scattered throughout the books.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33315 comments Mod
The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright - DianeG's suggestion

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments The Saturdays is the first book of The Melendy Quartet. The other books are The Four Story Mistake, And Then There were Five, and A Spiderweb for Two.

The kids are Mona, Rush, Randy and Oliver. They later adopt Mark, a boy who was neglected by his stepfather. The books are set in the 40s; the children's mother is dead and their father works for the government. The points you're remembering sound more like The Four Story Mistake.

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Fitch | 7 comments You're right, it's definitely "The Four-Story Mistake" -- I just checked my copy and found the snow-ice-cream scene. The canning happens in the third book, "Then There Were Five", when their housekeeper Cuffy is away and Mona and Randy do it themselves. Mona wants to be an actress, Rush is the family musician, , Randy is good at dancing, and Oliver is interested in planes and (later) moths.

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Christina, was the "Four Story Mistake" your book? We crave closure, so please let us know!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
No response from Christina but this sounds like the right series so we'll shelve the first book (since the plotlines appear throughout the series).

Googlebooks reveals, "In The Saturdays, by Enright, the reader shares the wonderful day Rush Melendy spent at the opera. He learns what to expect and how people behave at the opera."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Saturdays (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Enright (other topics)