What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Darkness Creeping II: More Tales to Trouble Your Sleep
This topic is about Darkness Creeping II
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 90s book about a boy who turns into a ghost thing after a plane hits his house? [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lia (new)

Lia | 2 comments I'm pretty sure I read this in elementary school, so probably around like... 1996/7? Whichever teacher it was just had a bunch of books kicking around, so it could've been from the 80s or 90s.

Here's what I remember: it starts with a boy dreaming that he is floating above himself in bed. He remarks about how that's really him, it feels real, whatever. Then suddenly a plane crashes into his house, taking off the second floor, where his bedroom is. There's a bit about his mother (in the first floor parents bedroom) screaming because her ceiling or ceiling fan is replaced by open air. The plane lands a few streets over.

The kid realizes this is real and he's really stuck outside his body as some kind of ghost thing. Eventually he realizes he can inhabit other people's bodies? I'm not sure if he can control them or he just rides along with them. He also figures out that he can't spend too long in any one person or he gets stuck somehow, so he bounces around. It's something to do with the brain, I think, why he can get stuck? Maybe he kind of gets lost?

At one point I guess he gets curious about inhabiting animals? And he chooses a dolphin because they're the smartest. And for some reason he gets stuck in the dolphin. And that's it, pretty sure that's how the book ends, he's a dolphin now, and possibly the dolphin mind kind of takes over his eventually.

I have been trying to figure out this book for years and years with no luck - I know it exists because someone else remembered it and the dolphin stuff, but they couldn't remember the name either. Thank you so much for any help!

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Sep 15, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4225 comments "Soul Survivor" from Darkness Creeping II: More Tales to Trouble Your Sleep maybe? You can read some pages on this google book: https://books.google.com/books?id=N3X...

message 3: by Lia (new)

Lia | 2 comments YES OH MY GOD THAT'S IT YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS BOOK I LOVE YOU. I always thought it was a standalone book. And no wonder it creeped me out as a kid, it was supposed to be creepy! I'M SO EXCITED THANK YOU I'M GONNA READ IT RIGHT NOW